Hi all,

I'm being let go from my job in February. So finally i will have some time to start a new project, named "Redundant"
I'm definitly going 7 string, without a doubt.
For design, I'm thinking of something along the lines of an off-shape Stratocastor, with an oversized CBS headstock, but open to suggestions.

Heres the idea
I want anyone and everyone to contribute some ideas to this.
Other than the fact of it being 7-String and mostly Strat-shaped, I'm totally open for Suggestions, Ideas, Feedback, and comments.
At the end of the day, I'm hoping this can be a guitar we all help creating, and I am planning on woodburning the Ultimate-Guitar.Com logo onto the back.

Post your ideas on the Wood, Neck, Frets, Pickups, PUP configuration, Electronic Mods, Tremolos, Finish, Hardware etc... And I will periodically draw up some concept sketches based on your ideas.

Thanks guys,
Mick.
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
Alder
Flamed Maple (bookmatched if possible)
24 Frets, 6000 Dunlop Fretwire
EMG 707 / EMG 707TW
Ibanez Lo-Pro 7
Transparent Amber Sunburst
Maple Fingerboard, Maple/Walnut Neck
No body radius
Elbow/Waist Cut
DO IT!

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
What kind of music do you like? If you like metal, get the DiMarzio Liquifire \m/
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
double cut/strat shape
do a stealth.

Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
Quote by metal-matt
double cut/strat shape
do a stealth.

Thats a little bit extreme, dont you think?
I'm probably going to stay closer to a strat shape.

Quote by Dream Floyd
What kind of music do you like? If you like metal, get the DiMarzio Liquifire \m/

I'm into quite a lot of styles of music. Doom/Progressive metal would be my bread and butter, but my jam would be Blues, Funk, Classical and Jazz Fusion.

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Quote by guitarcam123
Whats your budget on this thing?

It will vary. I already have a lot of Maple at my disposal, so if I want to go for that, thats not a problem. I have a lot of spare hardware too, but not sure if most of it is useful for this build.

I will have a reasonable budget of around €500 or so.

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
ok, well if your gonna do a strat, atleast have a reverse headstock. they are awesome.

and kinda ergonimic too.

but fo sho i will watch this once it kicks off!
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
Quote by Casually_Spoken
Anyone else wanna see a 7 string Les Paul build?

That was my origional idea, just for something different. But then I realised why I dont have a Les Paul..... I just dont like the shape that much, for some reason...

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Quote by Casually_Spoken
Awwh damn 7 string Telecaster?

Tempting, but not this time. I always wanted to make a telecaster, but for the moment, no.

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Do a 7 string baritone! If you pick a long enough scale, maybe you can get 27 frets in there too? I personally think anything above 24 is overkill, but hey, it would be interesting and original.

I've always kind of wanted a baritone, though I think mine'll be a 6 string.
Chain:
Fingers -> Schecter Damien FR -> Fulltone OCD -> ABY Box -> Bugera V22 / Peavey 6505+
do you have a preference on the neck joint you'll use?

for a neck-through, a 5-peice neck:
thick-ish maple strip/ thin-ish strip of a darker wood/ very thin maple laminate/ thin-ish dark wood/ thich-ish maple
get a nice peice of rosewood for the fretboard, and small offset dot inlays
then a figured walnut top, and no carve. ..possibly a top binding of some kind, and a lighter wood for the back..
I dont think a strat-style headstock would look very good on that, though
and for body shape, either a relatively traditional strat shape, or depending on the headstock, a slightly offset strat shape

if you're doing a bolt on or set neck, I think a standard looking strat in 7-string form would look pretty sweet.
standard-shaped body, in a classic fender colour
rosewood on maple, or maple/maple neck depending on the body colour, with the big strat headstock..
white pickguard with SSS/HSS configuration and the normal strat control layout visually
3 knobs would be master volume, neck tone, and bridge tone, and make the bridge or neck pot a push/pull, for a 'neck on' or 'bridge on' switch.
if you go HSS, the bridge tone could be a push/pull coil split, and neck tone a 'neck on' switch.

..so it'd pretty much look like any MIA strat, but with a 7th string, and slightly different wiring

those are my 2 ideas
Quote by divinorum69
Seven string strat, Reverse headstock.
Squier StageMaster 7, the most good looking 7 string guitar.

In your opinion, obviously. Oh sorry i forgot those don't exist on here do they? Bugger, sorry about that.

Well in my opinion i think a 7 string strat is a bit boring. I reckon the idea of making it a bit sharper and offset might be quite bitcihn' though.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Last edited by eddiehimself at Dec 16, 2009,
Quote by eddiehimself
In your opinion, obviously. Oh sorry i forgot those don't exist on here do they? Bugger, sorry about that.

Well in my opinion i think a 7 string strat is a bit boring. I reckon the idea of making it a bit sharper and offset might be quite bitcihn' though.

what? I dont understand.
You can find them on ebay. Ive only seen one in my life.
^I think he read your post in a much more elitist way than you intended..

like, hes not saying 'stagemaster 7s dont exist on here', hes saying 'opinions dont exist on here'

I think it was pretty clear you were saying "I think this is a damn sexy 7 string", but it looks like he read it as if you're not allowing others to have an opinion..

meh..

besides, we all know my 7 string is the best looking, anyway
I'd say go for a multi laminate neck. With maple and a really dark wood alternating. And if you're going to make it a strat shape, it's got to be white. resistance is futile man. and with a maple fretboard... go for 27 frets man! that would be insane. and very doable if you have a longer scale length. or otherwise 24 i guess.

If you're into prog metal, i'd suggest dimarzios. they're the best for getting all your little neuances out. I have a D sonic and an Air Norton in my 7 string and it's amazing. or maybe the liquifire instead of the air norton... up to you man! what pickup configuration do you like best?
Quote by james4
^I think he read your post in a much more elitist way than you intended..

like, hes not saying 'stagemaster 7s dont exist on here', hes saying 'opinions dont exist on here'

I think it was pretty clear you were saying "I think this is a damn sexy 7 string", but it looks like he read it as if you're not allowing others to have an opinion..

meh..

besides, we all know my 7 string is the best looking, anyway

Thanks for translating that to me. Errors of the English not being my first language

Anyways, of course I did not mean it in an elitist way, now that you explained, to be honest I did not like that comment.