Page 1 of 2
What would happen if i cut some wood off a strat-shaped guitar (Westfield E1000)? I've been looking at it recently and decided it needs a better design but don't want to ruin the sound. I've worked out how it would fit and just involves stripping, cutting and re-painting it as i don't go near the electronics. I also want to put a humbucker in the neck (it's only a single currently) and would need to route a new hole. Any suggestions on the best way to execute it?

This is the guitar, except mine has a humbumcker at the bridge instead of the single.
Westfield E1000
depending on the size of the chunk you're cutting off, you probably won't notice that big a difference in tone..

to re-paint, you're going to have to do a little with the electronics.. like, you've got to take all the hardware off before you can re-paint..

and to fit a humbucker in the neck, you need to either buy a pickguard with an HSH configuration, or you could widen the hole in your current pickguard.
you'll also need to make sure theres room under the pickguard, to fit the humbucker. a lower-end guitar will probably have a universal route, but look under the pickguard to be sure.
if there isn't room, you can use a router to make it neat, or if you're not concerned about how it looks under the pickguard, some forstner bits and a drill press would get the job done, too
You probably wouldnt notice any tone difference, agreed. However, you may lose some sustain. The bigger the mass of wood you cut off, the less sustain you will get.
However, depending on what kind of music you play, and the amp you play through, you might not notice the sustain difference at all.
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
As to what i'm cutting off. it's more of an aesthetics thing to sharpen up the edges and add a couple of spiky bits. With the sustain, It would be nice to keep what I've got and I don't mind making the guitar thicker to achieve that but I'm also hoping to cultivate a dirty sound but still try to be able to achieve a lighter tone at certain times. If i'll need two guitars for this then ah well, its the heavier sound thats more vital

check out the thread called 'my squier mod', if you like it's right below this thread right now, and the pointier horns on that guitar sounds like what you want to do, sort of
Hi, I've looked at your thread and I think it may answer a lot of my questions
I C&P'd one of your pics and drew on some lines to show roughly what i want to do.
I'm liking the new look of it btw
Attachments:
Untitled.jpg
Quote by Major Bob
Hi, I've looked at your thread and I think it may answer a lot of my questions
I C&P'd one of your pics and drew on some lines to show roughly what i want to do.
I'm liking the new look of it btw

Drop that guitar once and that lower horn would snap. You'd have to beef that lower horn up a little.
Looks like you're also tearing off half the neck pocket - the downside to this is that the neck joint will be considerably weaker, and may cause issues.
I dont know about you, but if I hacked that much mass from my guitar, I'd definitly notice a loss of sustain.
However, if thats the shape you want to go for, it looks like your into high-gain "br00talZ" metal, in which case sustain doesnt matter....just up your gain.

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Where does the theory that less body mass = less sustain come from?
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
I can find references later, at the moment I'm in work and some websites are blocked here.

However, heres an example to test that theory.
Using an unplugged electric guitar, touch the headstock off another wooden surface. You will notice the vibrations, volume, and sustain will increase when it is touching off another solid wooden object. This concludes the theory, more mass, more sustain.

Hope this clears it up?

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
I've lowered the amount i'm taking off the neck pocket, and will add extra wood to the back of the bottom-right horn, hopefully making it stronger, and i'll need to route the hole for the neck humbucker he's got. I'll probably just carefully drill a hole in the pickguard too. Any suggestions on increasing gain? This is my first attempt at modding a guitar and have no idea what i'm doing with the electronics side.
Attachments:
Untitled.jpg
When I said increasing gain, I meant from the Amp side of things.
However, if you are planning on replacing the electronics, you could get some different pickups.
If you want Powered hi-gain pickups, you cant beat EMG active pups. Not my cup of tea really, but you should have a look into them anyway.

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Would it work if i put an HSH in and use 5 on/off switches (one for each coil) to choose my settings with a tone on the single a volume and possibly tones for the hums?
Yes, thats possible. I'm not great with schematics so I cant help there though.

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
sweet
I think i can let you off not helping :P you've done bloody well at answering everything so far, cheers!
Heres a similar configuration you might find interesting though:

Linky

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
5 on/offs is easy.

just put each coil onto a switch (humbuckers have four wires, just look up which is which and send the "hot" wires to one side of the switch, and the grounds all go together, same with the single coil)

then, take all the switch's out's, and send them to a volume pot, then tone, then your out jack.

i'll draw you up a diagram, hold on.
Quote by Steve46
thanks alot ice condition!! your the breast!

The best bosom in all of UG.
(edit: to ice-)^sounds like you're putting the humbucker coils in parallel from the way you decribed it..
like, thats how you'd wire 5 single coils..

on the humbuckers, you'd need two switches that short each of the coils start and finishes, not just ground the hot from each coil.
that way the humbuckers in series when both are on

and yeah, 3 tones is possible if you want
sweet, so i'm taking north/south from each coil & taking them to a switch each then going though a tone (one for each hum) and following through with those 3 tones going to the volume and on from there normal practice?
^oh, right . .

I forgot all about that part.

thanks i would have gave him something to wire them all in parallel . . .

EDIT: you would be MUCH better off just wiring basic HSH wiring into a 5-way switch . . . . . it would be easier to wire, and cost far less to do, besides having to drill holes for all this stuff.

EDIT2: you could also (assuming you have 3 holes for pots) use push/pull pots, and have volume/tone for each pickup.
Quote by Steve46

Last edited by ice condition at Dec 17, 2009,
Quote by Major Bob
sweet, so i'm taking north/south from each coil & taking them to a switch each then going though a tone (one for each hum) and following through with those 3 tones going to the volume and on from there normal practice?

I ...sort of know what you mean here..

I'll draw the diagram real quick..

you want 5 switches, 3 tones, and how many volumes?

edit: I took a look back and noticed EMGs were suggested, too.. you can't use this wiring with EMGs, cause they arent splittable..
Last edited by james4 at Dec 17, 2009,
imo the guitar shape looks stupid, but if you're into pointy guitars then i guess it's not too bad... however, don't take that much from the bottom of the guitar (left on your picture). i'm thinking the bridge would stick out and hang over the edge, the claw of the bridge isn't at the back, it's at the front.

edit: also, dont cut ANY wood from around the neck pocket, or 'add' any either, (don't see how this is possible?)
Last edited by BGSM at Dec 17, 2009,
Quote by BGSM
however, don't take that much from the bottom of the guitar (left on your picture). i'm thinking the bridge would stick out and hang over the edge, the claw of the bridge isn't at the back, it's at the front.

If you look at the link in my first post (it's a more accurate representation of my actual guitar as i can't get a piccy on the pc of it) then you'll see that to cut so much wood off that the bridge hangs over the back of the guitar i would have to cut into its actual cavity (it's a floating bridge and is set into the wood a small amount). So i'm not going to cut that far, i would be about an inch from the back of the bridge. The closest i'm intending to get is within1/2-1/4 inch from any cavity already there. That leaves me a safe margin.

With the neck pocket, after reading what various people have said i may just leave that wood there and just edit the curve to go round into the points, starting to take more substantial amounts off when i'm about an inch away from the pocket.
oh okay, i didn't look at the link before actually, haha. sounds good then!
Quote by james4
edit: I took a look back and noticed EMGs were suggested, too.. you can't use this wiring with EMGs, cause they arent splittable..

You can get splittable EMG's.

If you're looking for 5 on/off switches, though, there probably wouldn't be any room. Never mind that it would be completely unnecessary.

IMO, you would be best with a 5-way toggle, a push-pull volume/tone, and 2 tone knobs (3 tone/1 master volume, fit into strat's 3 pre-drilled holes) which would leave you with room for a battery for the EMG's in your control cavity. You would also not have to buy as much, assuming budget may be an issue, since you would only need to buy a push-pull pot, instead of 5 on/off toggles, which is a significant difference.

Although, don't let me hold you back, it is your guitar, after all, so do as you wish, but it would still be much easier with what I suggested, I would think.
Quote by Steve46

I'm thinking of changing the shape of my strat knockoff and found this to be alot like I want to do with mine. I don't think I'm going as extreme as you are on the shape, but I'm still planning on doing something to change the overall look now that I've seen this thread. That's IF I can come up with a design I like.

I had some extra time at work and thought this might help you get a better feel for the shape you drew.

Quote by dustyboy316
Change that sig, **** thats annoying.

My Effector Mod
Wow, thanks for the design sketch, your right that is really really helpful
Would the hole for the control unit be able to take 5 micro-switches and 4 pots?
I'm still determined to have the individually selected coils and am thinking of making a pickguard for them. Otherwise i have to do the same mods to the current 3 ply plastic one... :s horrid prospect when i can make one out of wood and paint it!

BGSM are you talking about the lower horn on the neck or with the controls in?
Why don't you get a cheap warlock an mod that? Seems to be what it'll end up lookin like tbh...
My Rig:
American Standard Telecaster
Fender Starcaster
Sp. Edition Jack Daniels Strat (Modded)
Vox AC15CC1

Stuff I've Built:
Telecaster Deluxe
Telecaster Junior
Pedalboard (from a shelf )
the odd pedal
who makes a cheap one? i'm looking atm but not getting very far... will keep going though unless someone beats me to it lol!
Yeah, that's a bit better. The guitar will be very neck heavy if you cut this much wood out, just keep that in mind. probably worse than an SG
Quote by divinorum69
I never do this, but im obliged.

It Looks ****ING UGLY.

SORRY, a strat shape is a thousand times better. Want somthing radical, just do an awesome swirl or a cool paintjob.

I really don't give a ****. All that matters is i like it. I'm fed up of a strat shape and want something new without having to spend shit loads of money. This is the best way i could come up with. Plus this is a way i can do.
Page 1 of 2