I'm in the market for a distortion pedal, and I've narrowed down my choices to these two. They're quite similar, the most significant difference being the addition of a noise gate on the MXR. I just want a dirt pedal with lots of gain and versatility, and these two "metal" pedals seem to be exactly what I'm looking for. I'm just hoping someone with more experience with them can give some insight, or even recommend something different that's better. I'm playing an Epiphone 1966 G-400 through a Valve Jr head/cab, with a Peavey VTM 60 coming soon.

Thanks for reading!
Last edited by gilla409 at Dec 16, 2009,
The Fullbore is godawful, it sounds like a tincan being shredded. The Metal Muff is fairly good, but neither of them are versatile. You should not bother with either of them since you will be getting a VTM which will have waaaaay more versatility than either, will sound better and have lots of gain on tap (it's basically a hotrodded JCM800). If you ever need more gain from it, boost it with a booster or overdrive pedal.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
The Fullbore is godawful, it sounds like a tincan being shredded. The Metal Muff is fairly good, but neither of them are versatile. You should not bother with either of them since you will be getting a VTM which will have waaaaay more versatility than either, will sound better and have lots of gain on tap (it's basically a hotrodded JCM800). If you ever need more gain from it, boost it with a booster or overdrive pedal.

+1.

Both pedals deliver one type of sound. The sound of cats scraping thier claws on a metal dustbin while a lawnmower is used in the background. Choose a good amp with onboard distortion instead of these cheap-sounding effects pedals.
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
Just get a good boost for your future VTM. You could get awesome metal tones that way
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Thanks for the advice, everyone!

Would the MXR 10 band EQ be a good choice for a boost?
No, get an actual booster or overdrive, not an EQ.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.