I have no idea on what pickups to get..

I am looking for pups or combinations of pups that would handle power and symphonic metal.. Something similar to Dragon Force and Stratovarious..
In my opinion pickups can't really be dubbed to be used with specific genres. But, you'll probably want something with high output and a tone that has plenty in the midrange and treble. Emg 81 is popular for metal in general, I don't like them personally, but many do.
Seymour Duncan Blackouts are good, too.

If you don't want to use active pickups, your choices are basically endless, as DiMarzio, Seymour Duncan and many other manufacturers have pickups after pickups that are fit for the job.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Some sort of DiMarzios since dragonforce use them and Id think they would be popular in power and symphonic metal
My Gear
Cort EVL X4
Jackson RR3 Cobalt Blue
Peavey Bandit 112
Living stone distortion pedal
Digitech RP250
I'm not actually sure of their models I just see them from time to time on posters and a lot of prog and power metal dudes use them just take a look on their site for sound clips and see what you like
My Gear
Cort EVL X4
Jackson RR3 Cobalt Blue
Peavey Bandit 112
Living stone distortion pedal
Digitech RP250
Amp. Which one are you using?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
The amp is a problem, the only decent amp that I could find was the Vox VT30.. the other amps suggested to were not available if there was... it looks too shabby.. So I ended up with the Vox VT30.
Quote by ShredMan1224
The amp is a problem, the only decent amp that I could find was the Vox VT30.. the other amps suggested to were not available if there was... it looks too shabby.. So I ended up with the Vox VT30.

I don't know Vox very well, but do you plan on upgrading? Because if its as bad as your describing it, you want pickups after the new amp. You will notice as much difference through it as you will with different wood.

Seymour Duncan SH-5 would be pretty good apparently, and the pickups Sam Totman uses are Dimarzio Evolution.
Quote by Banana Wedgie
I don't know Vox very well, but do you plan on upgrading? Because if its as bad as your describing it, you want pickups after the new amp. You will notice as much difference through it as you will with different wood.

Seymour Duncan SH-5 would be pretty good apparently, and the pickups Sam Totman uses are Dimarzio Evolution.

I see, I do plan to get an new amp with the capacity of something greater than or equal to 50 watts if I get the chance to work after school.. is there any specific brand I should be looking for..? (I do need a lot of brands for the amps.. finding a good brand of any amp is very difficult here..)
Bareknuckles are always yummy........

But as stated amp is your primary concern, with amps its not as simple as recommending brands, because the range of amps made by each company is huge, a Marshall MG may be crud, but a marshall jcm 800 on the other hand may be heaven for those who like that sound. Whats your price range on the amp? and im sure you will get a lot of suggestions flying in.
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
I'm not too sure, but I'll try something at about $300 - $400 if I could manage to get my savings that high..
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube-30X-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487032

I always recommend these rolands for metal, great little amps, should be perfect. You could probably get a used tube amp for that price at a push but im sure you wouldnt want to deal with tube maintenance and the cost of upkeep on them, so id say a roland should be a great choice, lots of people on here say good things about the peavey vyper too.
My Gear

Stinnett M7 in the works
Quote by Talentless
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube-30X-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=487032

I always recommend these rolands for metal, great little amps, should be perfect. You could probably get a used tube amp for that price at a push but im sure you wouldnt want to deal with tube maintenance and the cost of upkeep on them, so id say a roland should be a great choice, lots of people on here say good things about the peavey vyper too.

yeah, I do hear good things about the Peavey but I just don't understand why the Peavey 30 just doesn't sound right to me.. it has a kind of rough sound on the gain.. or is it just me..?
In the end its all down to preference, if you dont like the sound of the high gain channels then its not the amp for you, if you can try out a roland cube, really great little amps
My Gear

Stinnett M7 in the works
Quote by Talentless
In the end its all down to preference, if you dont like the sound of the high gain channels then its not the amp for you, if you can try out a roland cube, really great little amps

Yeah, that is a good point.. could it also have something to do with my Multiple effects? I forgot to mention that I do use a BOSS ME-50.. XD

I'll also check out those Roland amps if I do happen to find them.. thanks..
If you really want the Dragonforce sound you should get the DiMarzio Evolutions...that is what both Sam and Herman use.

I had them in my old Ibanez and they were great pickups...very very high output with insane highs and harmonics.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by srob7001
If you really want the Dragonforce sound you should get the DiMarzio Evolutions...that is what both Sam and Herman use.

I had them in my old Ibanez and they were great pickups...very very high output with insane highs and harmonics.

Should I replace both the bridge and neck pups? I am leaving the mids as stock..
Pickups really don't change your tone anywhere near as much as you think they do. Changing from one humbucker to another will, at best, tweak your dynamic response and of course alter your output, and of those two things output only comes into play with the right kind of amp.

With your existing rig, a pickup swap will just be throwing money away. Save up and work towards a suitable amp for the style of music you play first; your amp dictates your tone, pickups just tweak it.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Bareknuckles stand tall above all!
But as it was said before you need a waaay better amp.
Quote by ShredMan1224
Should I replace both the bridge and neck pups? I am leaving the mids as stock..

What I did was replace my neck and bridge humbuckers with the Evo's, and since I don't use a middle PU I removed it from the guitar and then took the cover off it and put just the cover in the PU slot so it looks like a PU is in there, but there isn't.

Now since I only had 2 humbuckers I had a 3 way switch installed and also a push/pull tone knob so I could plit the humbuckers into a single. It was really versatile like that. I could easily get a strat type sound with it once I split the PU.

If you leave the stock PU in the middle and have 2 Evos on the outsides it will sound odd if you try to blen the EVO with the stock PU or switch mid playing since they have diff out outs....which is why I did away with mine.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Just prance around on stage like all of the cool kids.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Quote by p o e
Just prance around on stage like all of the cool kids.

Wow....what a helpful post
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
ShredMan1224 DiMarzio pickups are really good for power metal, a set of DiMarzio Evolutions or DActivators would be good for you to use, or even some of the Steve Vai DiMarzio's would be good, and use a guitar with a floyd, a kahler or an edge tremolo system that you would get on an ibanez. Amps you can use mesa boogie or marshall pretty much anything that has really good tone, and then for pedals you just need to find a nice distortion pedal, a good chorus pedal for some cleans or some ambient distortion sounds and to top it all off for your solos and leads you need a wah pedal and a digitech whammy pedal. you dont have to use these brands and all but from what ive learnt from rig rundowns of power metal bands, most of these things are what they normally use.
I bet you he has made a decision in roughly 7 years. Old thread!
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13