After doing all my recording with a rockband microphone for the last year and a half, I've decided to upgrade my recording equipment. A friend of mine is selling me as mic and preamp, but I know I can't just use the preamp's headphone jack into the computer mic input. So what do I need to send the mic signal to the computer? I assume something like an interface? My budget is tight, a mere 50 USD. Thanks in advance.
And on the seventh day, I said "Go to your room!"

check out my jazz tab and ill gladly do a review of any of your stuff

I play the bass clarinet! How 'bout you? PM me!
anyone?

No, the $50 doesn't include the price of the mic and preamp. And to reiterate the question, do i need an interface? or could i just get a XLR to USB cable from the preamp to the computer?

to put it into other words, to record with a computer, what do i put between the preamp and computer?

Quote by CHOCOmoney
to put it into other words, to record with a computer, what do i put between the preamp and computer?

I don't know how an XLR to USB cable would work...you might end up with latency problems and probably poor sound quality so I would avoid that route.

You will need an interface of some sort to get a good sound, I have an Alesis iO26 which I use which you may be able to pick up cheap...if not have a look round for stuff in your price range and ask about them here.

Presonus tend to get a pretty good reputation but may be out of your price range

EDIT: Also, he's right try the recording forum...
Guitars: PRS Custom 24, PRS EG3, PRS Santana SE, PRS Tremonti SE, ESP-LTD M-200FM

Acoustics: Maton EM225C, Washburn WD-42S, Ovation Tangent

Amps: Peavey 5150 Mk 1, Randall V2, Marshall JCM2000 DSL100

Cab: Framus FR212
Last edited by idiotbox919 at Dec 16, 2009,