Hey could anyone tell me the difference between 24 jumbo fret and 22 fret guitars

Are the frets smaller or is the freatboard just increased in length ?
Ty
Generally the fretboard is longer thus pushing the neck pickup back a little further from where it "should" be, this is generally regarded as a negative point of having 24 frets.
The number of frets well...you can play higher notes. And fret SIZE ('regular', jumbo, etc.) pretty much just enables somewhat lighter play...kind of. Having jumbo frets is about the equivalent of having scalloped frets. (You do know what those are and what theyre for, right?)
Guitars:
Ibanez S5470 w/ DiMarzio Crunch Lab & Liquifire
Ibanez RG1527
Ibanez SA160
Ibanez E-Acoustic
Selfmade Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Twang King & Chopper T

"Maybe one day we'll wake up and this will all just be a dream"
Quote by Axel1933
But the frets are the same size?
Any notable difference in sound?

Some people reckon they can hear the difference with the neck pickup, I only really know the theory behind it, I can't recall ever playing anything with 24 frets.
Quote by Axel1933
But the frets are the same size?
Any notable difference in sound?

The frets are the same size regardless of the number of frets. Fret size depends on the scale length. But if you're talking about the actual fretwire. That also has nothing to do with the scale length or number of frets. There's not really a difference in sound. As the neck pickup isn't always right on the edge of the neck like with an SG.
The 22, 24 or whatever the number is, is simply the number of fret wires on the fret board. So a 24 fretted guitar will have 2 extra frets making the fretboard a tiny bit longer.

The 'jumbo' part is simply the shape of the fret wire. You can get all kinds of fret wire of different widths and heights to suit your playing. Jumbo frets are on a lot of guitars designed for complex or fast playing because it makes for a more 'effortless' feel. It is not the same as a scalloped fret board unless your fret wires are enormous. With jumbo frets your fingers can still make contact with the fretboard even if your string doesn't. With a scalloped fretboard your fingers never make contact allowing for massive bends but requiring an extremely light touch to not accidentally bend notes.
Last edited by whitemanwalking at Dec 16, 2009,
Oh sorry I think I misunderstood a little, you just mean the length of the neck and the space between fretwires...
Yes, frets are the same size, the neck goes a little bit closer the neck pickup tho. Whether it has 22 or 24 frets doesn't change the sound (well, you can play a full step higher notes but I guess thats not what you're asking)
Personally I prefer 24 fret necks. I rarely need the 24th fret, but I find it easier to play the 21st and 22nd when theyre not the highest frets I have...
Guitars:
Ibanez S5470 w/ DiMarzio Crunch Lab & Liquifire
Ibanez RG1527
Ibanez SA160
Ibanez E-Acoustic
Selfmade Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Twang King & Chopper T

"Maybe one day we'll wake up and this will all just be a dream"
Quote by Banana Wedgie
I personally prefer 22 frets because I rarley go lower than 19....

So you play songs on the top three frets ?
What these fine gents here are trying to tell you is that for the same scale length (distance between nut and saddle, just in case) the distance between frets will be the same on a 22/24 fret board. The board will obviously therefore be longer on a 24 fret board.

I've never noticed a massive difference in sound, but in theory the best place for the neck pickup is at the location where the 24th fret would be (due to harmonic node positions) so that would get the best sound. I would never use that as a reason not to go 24 frets though. I like the flexibility.