Okay my main question is this, what do I need to practice to get better at guitar? Let me explain. I started playing guitar a year ago. I found a basic beginners course online. I went slowly and really tried to learn everything well. After that I just started learning songs. At first I was only using tab. But then I started learning songs by ear, which is all I do now. I found out real fast that a LOT of free tabs online are wrong. My goal for guitar is to be very good. I am not looking to be the next Jimi Hendrix, but I want to be a very good guitar player. I am 17 (18 in 1 month) and a senior in high school. Right now I practice between one hour and two hours a day. However I have more time. So I could practice about 2-3 a day if needed.

I tried to give you guys a little background info and explaining my goals. So with that in mind what kinds of things should I be practicing?

ANY tips or info would be awesome...

Thanks
Andrew
Quote by Myshadow46_2
Your goal is too vague for anyone to be of any help. What are your long time goals? What are your influences?

E.g. If your influences are classic rock and you want to be a good classic rock player, then we can give better advice on how to meet those goals.

Note taken. My long term goal is to be in a band and make some records. My dream is to get signed and go on tour. I know the chances of that are very slim. But yeah my goal is to make records...

My influences are as follows (no particular order) Linkin park, Rise Against, The Offspring, Metallica, Paramore, Breaking Benjamin, Green Day, AFI. And also some christian bands like Kutless, Skillet, Thousand foot Krutch, Pillar, and Seventh day slumber. Those are some of them.

Overall I would say I am into just general rock.(if that makes any sense) But at the same time I want to also be able to play some of Kirk Hammett's solos...

Hope that gives more info...

Thanks
Andrew
Last edited by atrglock at Dec 16, 2009,
play like your idols without directly ripping them off, i find listening to all kinds of music ALL of the time, or you know whenever possible helps me to better my guitar playing. So i guess just play guitar and enjoy it man.

Cheers
Cort - Mirage
Hughes & Kettner - Warp 7 Combo
DigiTech - Metal Master
Quote by atrglock
Note taken. My long term goal is to be in a band and make some records. My dream is to get signed and go on tour. I know the chances of that are very slim. But yeah my goal is to make records...

Then the next thing you need to do is get in a band. Not the one that will get you signed, but you need to start playing with people. The only way to learn the skill of playing with other people is to do it, and without that skill the hopes of you getting involved in something that gets you signed are zero.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.