Hey there. I'm going to be repairing a Bass in my school tomorrow, and it'll be my first time in doing so.
what's happened is one of the pickups has sunk in. not the whole thing, the metal (magnetic i believe, i'm not much of a gear buff) part inside it has just sunk in. Could you give me some tips on it? such as what to do if it's a problem with the wiring, what if it's just fallen into the body a bit.
Thanks if you do help
mods feel free to put this somewhere more appropriate if need be
There was a Signature here.

It's gone now.
All I can say is, do it from behind.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
ah, but i cant open it from behind. the only way i can get to it is by removing the strings and unswcrewing the top of the pickup (its covered)

It's gone now.
honestly based on your post, I'm not so sure that you're fit to be repairing anything.
Guitars are pretty simple...
Maybe check for a guide on the bass model online to get a good diagnostic of the guitar.

Learn by doing!
I can fix most of my guitar problems easy peasy mostly from a bit of research and lots of time spent with my guitars.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
In Which I replied.
Wow, aren't you a charmer. Seriously, if you could help, it'd be great. And thanks Nameless, i think i'll do that.

EDIT: To al112987

It's gone now.
Last edited by shockrocker at Dec 16, 2009,
Quote by shockrocker
Wow, aren't you a charmer. Seriously, if you could help, it'd be great. And thanks Nameless, i think i'll do that.

EDIT: To al112987

It's true, if you don't know what you're doing, then why are you going to try and fix it? It's likely that you'll just cause more problems.

And it sounds to me that the inside of the pickup has come unstuck from the casing, in which case you can just glue it back in.
Last edited by budget bassist at Dec 16, 2009,
Quote by budget bassist
It's true, if you don't know what you're doing, then why are you going to try and fix it? It's likely that you'll just cause more problems.

And it sounds to be that the inside of the pickup has come unstuck from the casing, in which case you can just glue it back in.

my friend's Stagg Les Paul did this.
As far as I know it was an easy fix.
and there's not much that can go wrong with a guitar.
It's not like a machine, it's mostly just a bit of wood with some easy to understand bits and bobs.
Just take a good look in, and if you have doubts after looking online just ask someone with more experience.
In Which I replied.
Thanks budget.
The reason i'm doing it is somewhere between good will, being appalled by the state of my schools music department, and as Nameless said, learning by doing.

It's gone now.
I've learned to repair flutes, guitars, basses, amps, drums, and keyboards by simply taking it apart, remembering how I did it, and finding the issue. Just be careful, and you can't mess anything up.

I would just take the pickup out of it's slot [don't disconnect the wires unless necessary] and see if you can fix it from there. If it requires removing strings then I would do it.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
Last edited by 6stringbassist at Dec 16, 2009,
Thanks 6string, but i'm not allowed to take it apart too much. It looks like i'll just be removing strings and lifting the pickup very carefully.

It's gone now.