After 25 years away (learned three chords in high school on a series of crappy, abused $50 imports), the guitar bug bit me hard this fall, so I'm something of a returning newb.

I'm looking for a dual-humbucker guitar to play early heavy metal and hard rock (think Paranoid and Working Man). My budget for the guitar is $250, so with tax and shipping it probably leaves me about $200.

So something along the lines of an LP or SG copy would be dandy, and I've read good things about both the GAX-70 and Agile in general. Some good AL-2000 reviews on youTube, too.

Please point me in the right direction, O Ultimate Guitar Gods!
Agile make great guitars for the money, im sure you can find something you like from them. What kind of amp are you going to be playing on?
for that kind of cash, it's hard to get a really good guitar, but I have an Agile AL-2000 and it's not bad at all, price considered.

I haven't played a GAX-70, but other cheaper ibanez's that I've played haven't really tickled my fancy.... personally I'd go for the agile.
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
try to find a used epiphone sg g400 or g400 faded on craigslist. Either that or an Epi Les paul or Fender MIM Strat. those can be found on craigslist for under 250
Quote by subzero364
Agile make great guitars for the money, im sure you can find something you like from them. What kind of amp are you going to be playing on?

Thanks - I haven't settled on an amp yet, actually. I won't be gigging any time soon - if ever - so a Line 6 Pocket POD or GuitarPort XT that I can pump through my PC would probably work OK for now.

I'm more comfortable going with a used amp than a used guitar since I know my way around a soldering iron these days.

I'm leery of buying used for what is really a starter guitar, since I had such bad experiences with used equipment "back in the day." I can easily see myself ending up with something with a warped neck that I can't fix and couldn't in good conscience sell.
i started on a GAX-70, played it for maybe 2 or 3 years, and couldn't wait to get rid of it. they're neck heavy, so you're always fighting to keep it in a comfortable position when you're using a strap. the neck warped pretty quickly, which was strange but i got mostly fixed with a setup. the pickups weren't too bad from what i remember, but i really didn't care about tone when i started

anyway, i'd definitely recommend the agile over the GAX-70. i feel like if i had started with the agile i might still have it, whereas i couldn't wait to get rid of the GAX. i love ibanez, but thats one guitar i can't recommend to anybody.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
i started on a GAX-70, played it for maybe 2 or 3 years, and couldn't wait to get rid of it. they're neck heavy, so you're always fighting to keep it in a comfortable position when you're using a strap. the neck warped pretty quickly, which was strange but i got mostly fixed with a setup. the pickups weren't too bad from what i remember, but i really didn't care about tone when i started

anyway, i'd definitely recommend the agile over the GAX-70. i feel like if i had started with the agile i might still have it, whereas i couldn't wait to get rid of the GAX. i love ibanez, but thats one guitar i can't recommend to anybody.

Thanks, LIAB16 - I hadn't considered the Dauntless. Looking at the specs, it seems to me that the main differences is an upgrade in the grade of maple top as well as name brand strings, pickups and nut for about $60 more. I just might be able to swing that.