So I just got a brand new computer, "Windows 7." And it seems every welfare recording program I install (Audacity, REAPER.) Has an error on capturing the sound device. I can't use the stereo mix, which is what I use for drums, can anyone give me info on how to fix this? I need to begin recording soon. :<
what version of w7 are you running?
what sound card are you using?
are your drivers up to date on said card?
are you using stable versions of the programs or beta's? (audacity has beta, dunno bout REAPER)
how are you setting up? mic to sound card? mic to mixer? is it a drum machine or actual drums?
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by TK1
what version of w7 are you running?
what sound card are you using?
are your drivers up to date on said card?
are you using stable versions of the programs or beta's? (audacity has beta, dunno bout REAPER)
how are you setting up? mic to sound card? mic to mixer? is it a drum machine or actual drums?

I don't know what kind of sound card I have, it's the home version of Windows 7 that comes with dell, I use guitar pro drums through stereo mix, every time I click record on audacity it says "Error loading sound device." I can't even select Microphone as an input.
Does it work on like windows movie maker? If not then sounds like drivers...what pc make and model hav u got
I understand that you are upset, however before you go and call programs like Reaper "Welfare" I think that maybe you should consider that computers and applications only do what they are told, and that perhaps it is user error. Reaper works great for 90% of this forum, and in fact, I am no only tracking and editing in Pro Tools and then mixing and mastering in Reaper. I honestly have some lingering feeling that you have no idea what you are doing, and that maybe you should go and read the reaper tutorial before coming in here and doing this. If you follow those steps and still are getting nothing, then I am assuming that it is a driver issue, and you need to go and fix that.

Thank you.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by kacper00100
Does it work on like windows movie maker? If not then sounds like drivers...what pc make and model hav u got

DELL Windows 7 home edition Pentium Inside. I'll try movie maker.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
I understand that you are upset, however before you go and call programs like Reaper "Welfare" I think that maybe you should consider that computers and applications only do what they are told, and that perhaps it is user error. Reaper works great for 90% of this forum, and in fact, I am no only tracking and editing in Pro Tools and then mixing and mastering in Reaper. I honestly have some lingering feeling that you have no idea what you are doing, and that maybe you should go and read the reaper tutorial before coming in here and doing this. If you follow those steps and still are getting nothing, then I am assuming that it is a driver issue, and you need to go and fix that.

Thank you.

When I said "Welfare." I meant you don't have to pay for some versions. I have worked with Audacity before without having this issue on other computers. My sound device simply isn't working. I have never used REAPER for recording, but it has no playback sound, so I assume there is something wrong. I just need to know how to set up stereo mix, or at least have someone set up my GP5 file to audio so I can record through my computer.
Quote by MGguitar
DELL Windows 7 home edition Pentium Inside. I'll try movie maker.

Sorry but you must be more specific for me to be able to fix this issue...there is about 200 or more computers that fit into that criteria.

This might help:

Go to the following link and enter your Dell Service Tag

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/my_systems_info/en/details?servicetag=

You will see the Dell Model under System Type. Example: 'System Type: Latitude E5400'

You can also use the following link to see the model directly but replace the 7 X's with your service tag:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/my_systems_info/en/details?servicetag=XXXXXXX

But it usually says somewhere on the case like my old PC said 'Dimension 5100'
Last edited by kacper00100 at Dec 16, 2009,
Quote by kacper00100
Sorry but you must be more specific for me to be able to fix this issue...there is about 200 or more computers that fit into that criteria.

This might help:

Go to the following link and enter your Dell Service Tag

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/my_systems_info/en/details?servicetag=

You will see the Dell Model under System Type. Example: 'System Type: Latitude E5400'

You can also use the following link to see the model directly but replace the 7 X's with your service tag:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/my_systems_info/en/details?servicetag=XXXXXXX

But it usually says somewhere on the case like my old PC said 'Dimension 5100'

Okay, I'll do that, could you tell me how you would normally record through your speakers via REAPER? Like, when something plays through your speakers it records it? Audacity isn't going to work out it seems.
Ummm...sorry no idea, never tried, Ill give it a go and if i get it Ill tell you, what id do if you have a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable just plug the output of your PC into the input.
Last edited by kacper00100 at Dec 16, 2009,
i have a feeling the problem lies in what each program considers the sound device. if you are using guitar pro as an output for drums and recording it with audacity, you need to check two things: does audacity record from the mic/line in on your sound card? if so it isnt set up to record straight from a program. you could set it up to, but it would be difficult, as you would also need to configure guitar pro to output correctly. you could use a looping method, where you loop the output of the drums (originally going to speakers) to the input of the mic/line in. but you would lose a little fidelity as well as stereo.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Wait...is all you're wanting to do record a drum track from guitar pro? if so go into GP and go to File > Export > WAVE (or whatever else you want) and then follow the instructions.
Dude, when you got your windows 7 package, it should of came with a Driver and Utility update disk, you should load that disk and see if it updates any of your drivers, it didnt for mine cause I have an extremly high end computer and it was already installed with Vista, so all I had to do was upgrade to W7.

I run Reaper and every other program just fine on my computer, so see if you need the updated drivers, and if you have them and it still wont work, go to the windows website and download any and all patches for windows 7.

But as to your other question, to play through your speakers using reaper, you need to go to options, preferences, then devices, then choose AISO as your primary driver, you might not have it so download it from the AISO site for free, then add a track, arm it, then click on the speaker icon to get it to play live through your speakers and record it at the same time.