I play guitar and ive been playing for almost a year now and i was just wondering what some things are i could do to practice that would just help me get better at playing guitar and being a guitarist.
Quote by parksyy
I play guitar and ive been playing for almost a year now and i was just wondering what some things are i could do to practice that would just help me get better at playing guitar and being a guitarist.

Get a practice routine book by the National Guitar Workshop called the 30 day Workout.

Use a metronome

Start slowly.
Quote by parksyy

music

* and that's a serious answer.

learn to play songs that you like.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Dec 16, 2009,
The absolutely most effective practicing method I've come across is to practice things in as many possible ways as you can. It was expressed in the phrase 'learn like a child' and if you do the musical equivalent of sticking the music up your nose, in your mouth, throwing it around etc. or in other words becoming absolutely intimated with the object you'll learn much much faster than if you just practiced it one way in many repetitions.

Some examples of that is to practice everything in every key, to practice things loudly and softly, with distortion and without distortion, with strict rhythm and flexible rhythm, slow tempo and up tempo, in rhythms (change straight 16ths to dotted 8ths and a 16th for example, but you can really do anything), change meter or grouping... the possibilities are near endless. Also it's fun, and don't just take my suggestions as absolutes. Do the ones that work for you and that you enjoy doing. The experimentation should be fun.

EDIT --> and I forgot to mention one of the less obvious, but most effective variations... change the character of the music. Try playing it agitatedly, then intimately or romantically and again like it's a kind of joke.
Last edited by Erc at Dec 16, 2009,
Just learn the songs you love. Thats all there is to it unless you want to learn music theory, which helps alot by the way.