Page 1 of 2
a ton of these threads pop up in the pit and such and i think it's good to discuss it in a proper forum such as bands and artists.

so, discuss your opinions of best album, song, guitarist, band, etc. of the year and/or decade.

notable lists:
Pitchfork Media's Top 100 songs
Rolling Stone's Top songs and albums of 2009
Spin Magazine's Top Albums of 2009
Entertainment Weekly's Top Albums of the Decadep (what?!?!)
Celebrity Ballots
Pitchfork's Top 20 Songs of the Decade
Pitchfork's Top 20 Albums of the Decade

feel free to post any other lists and argue about them. just make sure you don't flame any band or user for no particular reason. also, feel free to make threads in respective forums.
Sent from my iPad.
I know I sound like a bitch, but I liked the 3dg album.
TBH, nothing really good came out this year. =(
Quote by Jinzu

Octahedron, Crack the Skye, Meriweather Post Pavillon, Monoliths and dimensions, Farm, Embryonic, The Eternal, Black Gives Way to Blue, Horehound, etc. It was a good year.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Wow. Pitchfork's Top 20 of the decade was terrible. Not that I necessarily hate all of the albums (and I'm happy Yankee Foxtrot Hotel made it), but way to stick to one or two genres and exclude all other types of music. And of course there was the obligatory Radiohead fellating that I still don't understand.

Quote by soundgarden19
Octahedron, Crack the Skye, Meriweather Post Pavillon, Monoliths and dimensions, Farm, Embryonic, The Eternal, Black Gives Way to Blue, Horehound, etc. It was a good year.

Agreed, and as far as metal and core goes, there was great new releases by Converge, Coalesce, Baroness, etc..
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Last edited by nashawa at Dec 16, 2009,
Quote by nashawa
Wow. Pitchfork's Top 20 of the decade was terrible.

Honestly, when are they not? (As much as I love Sufjan and Avalanches, I wouldn't consider their releases to be the best of the decade. Then again, I'm no connoisseur when it comes to alternative)

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1246296

There are a number of lists (which I generally don't agree with either ) in this thread relating to the best metal releases for the decade.
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Last edited by Cianyx at Dec 17, 2009,
Quote by Cianyx
Honestly, when are they not? (As much as I love Sufjan and Avalanches, I wouldn't consider their releases to be the best of the decade. Then again, I'm no connoisseur when it comes to alternative)

I listen to TONS of alt, and this list bothered me. I'm not surprised Radiohead came in first though, seeing how the writers of Pitchfork can't take Thom Yorke's dick out of their ass long enough to write a decent article.
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Of the Year:

Converge -- Axe to Fall
Coalesce -- OX
The Armed -- These are Lights

Of the Decade:

AFI -- The Art of Drowning
AFI -- Sing the Sorrow
ATD-I -- Relationship of Command
Botch -- We are the Romans
Converge -- Jane Doe
Converge -- Axe to Fall
Jets to Brazil -- Perfecting Loneliness
Placebo -- Sleeping with Ghosts
Wilco -- A Ghost is Born
The Armed -- These Are Lights
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
I agree, Pitchfork's list wasn't good at all.
I'm happy to see that Spoon made one of the lists, I can't recall which one though.

Oasis - Stop The Clocks
Counting Crows - Films About Ghosts
Eminem - Curtain Call
Fuel - Natural Selection
Matchbox Twenty - More Than You Think You Are
Chronic Future - Lines In My Face
Sum 41 - Chuck

I don't know about best of the decade, I'd say Stop The Clocks and Films About Ghosts are definitely up there, but these are my favorites of the decade.
Quote by soundgarden19

Didn't like the alice in chains album all that much. The rest is really either not my style, or I've never heard of them.
Quote by Jinzu
Didn't like the alice in chains album all that much. The rest is really either not my style, or I've never heard of them.

Well, you should look up the ones you haven't heard of, you might find a great band. As for the ones you didn't like, sorry.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
it's official, pitchfork's lists sucked.
what are people's thoughts on rolling stone's?
in my opinion, there's some good stuff in there, but some truly horrific stuff too.\
Britney Spears?! really?
I've never liked the lists by Rolling Stone. At times they suck way too much.

Best album '09: Peste Noire - Ballade cuntre lo Anemi Francor
Best album of the decade: BT - This Binary Universe
Last edited by Hildesheimer at Dec 26, 2009,
best of 2009:
Megadeth - Engadme
Ace Frehley - Anomaly
Kiss - Sonic Boom
Sonata Arctica - The Days of Grays
Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings

best of 2000s:
Gamma Ray - No World Order, Land of The Free II
Iced Earth - Horror Show
Megadeth - United Abominations
Sonata Arctica - Reckoning Night, Winterheart's Guild
Symphony X - Paradise Lost
Dream Theater - Train of Thought
Helloween - Gambling With The Devil
Bullet For My Valentine - Scream Aim Fire
Best of 2000s:

Metallica - The Day That Never Comes
The Offspring - You're gonna go far kid
Slipknot - Duality
Bullet For My Valentine - Scream Aim Fire

That Just Some, There is many more...

As for 2009 i dont think anything good got released this year.
Quote by idioldude
best guitarist of this decade hands down synyster gates

no
just no
Quote by Blood Hawk
no
just no

indeed
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Quote by kameleus

As for 2009 i dont think anything good got released this year.

seriously? this year has had some excellent releases! for example; Head Crusher by Megadeth (from EndGame).
also, the whole of crack the skye (album by mastodon) is worthy of mention, I suspect that '09 is going to be referred to as "the year of the crack in the skye". just because you've been living under a rock this year doesn't mean nothing good was released this year.
??? Fund: cba to keep up with it.
will at least try when I get a jerb
੧_\\\

yours,

Alex (mcfreaki)
Best Albums of The 00s (From Memory)
Cynic - Traced in Air
Enslaved - Vertebrae
Dragonforce - Valley of the Damned
Marduk - Wormwood

....And probabaly more that I can't remmember
Quote by Wretched_Spawn
IWhat he said.. and then some
Top 5 of the 00's:

Mastodon - Leviathan
The Mars Volta - Deloused
Between the Buried and Me - Colors
Coheed and Cambria - Second Stage Turbine Blade
Murder by Death - Like the Exorcist, but with More Break Dancing.
Quote by Finalconflict
I agree, Pitchfork's list wasn't good at all.
I'm happy to see that Spoon made one of the lists, I can't recall which one though.

Oasis - Stop The Clocks
Counting Crows - Films About Ghosts
Eminem - Curtain Call
Fuel - Natural Selection
Matchbox Twenty - More Than You Think You Are
Chronic Future - Lines In My Face
Sum 41 - Chuck

I don't know about best of the decade, I'd say Stop The Clocks and Films About Ghosts are definitely up there, but these are my favorites of the decade.

Can you really pick a greatest hits album as best album of the decade? Most of the tracks on it are from the 90s anyway.
Quote by Jinzu

I think you have good knowledge about this field or other wise you don't know about this , you said only just show you intelligence.
***No Advertising***
As for the best release of the decade I'm gonna say Porcupine Tree's Fear of a Blank Planet. So many emotions wrapped up in one cd, and the textures of sound flowing through are just undescribeable.
Death Magnetic- Metallica
St. Anger- Metallica
Long Road Out of Eden- The Eagles
Untitled- Korn
Best of the decade....

Album: In Love and Death by The Used
Song: This Song Is Definently Not About A Girl by Set Your Goals
Band: Modest Mouse

Doudtful but its what i went with
Crack the Skye by Mastodon, Veckatimest by Grizzly Bear, and In Absentia by Porcupine Tree for the top 3 albums of this decade
Well, they cant all be winners
One of the best albums of 09 was Gorilla manor by Local natives!
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
lol Mariachi El Bronx was on one of those lists XD

I never listened to it, but it seemed like a joke.... A pretty awesome punk band doing a mariachi album? I doubt that deserves to be in the best albums of the year thing
2009 - "With Roots and Branches Above"~The Devil Wears Prada, "The Dethalbum II"~Dethklok, "Endgame"~Megadeth

2000s - "Death Magnetic"~Metallica, "The Fall of Ideals"~All That Remains, "Leviathan"~Mastodon

These were just my faves
If creationists made Pokemon:
"What the, Pikachu is...Congratulations, God decided your Pikachu is now a Raichu."

So what...I like Metal...sue me

"music elitists"
2009: "Crack The Skye" by Mastodon. Though the new Pearl Jam album was good as well.

Decade: Tons. "New Maps of Hell" by Bad Religion, "Tomahawk" or "Mit Gas" by Tomahawk, "Third" by Portishead(seriously, everyone forgets this one), "The Pariah, The Parrot, The Delusion" by Dredg, "Beyond" by Dinosaur jr. "...Is a Real boy" by Say Anything.

However, in my personal opinion the best of the decade is a toss up between "Demon Days" by Gorillaz and "The Rising Tide" by Sunny Day Real Estate.
NOTHING...music these days SUCKS..its not even music...what the hell is rap?whoever calls rap music obviously has no musical talent because rapping takes no musical effort...techno ill admit takes rythm and a few other musical elements but theres no instruments!its all computers.
Quote by TheReverend724

I have to give you props for the sheer variety of that list, as well as the patience it took to make it.

I'd argue with about half of what you put in it, though. Then again, that's the entire point of topics like these.

Quote by zeppelinstoner
NOTHING...music these days SUCKS..its not even music...what the hell is rap?whoever calls rap music obviously has no musical talent because rapping takes no musical effort...techno ill admit takes rythm and a few other musical elements but theres no instruments!its all computers.

Oh, hello troll/idiot.
Last edited by The_Funk at Sep 16, 2010,
Quote by The_Funk
I have to give you props for the sheer variety of that list, as well as the patience it took to make it.

I'd argue with about half of what you put in it, though. Then again, that's the entire point of topics like these.

Yeah, it was a pretty big pain in the ass to make

This decade was so great for music it was incredibly, incredibly difficult to pin down the 100 best. The more I look at it, the more I want to switch the order, take stuff in/out, etc.

Are there any specific arguments you have? I'd love to discuss them
Favorite albums of the decade (in no particular order):

Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
Lupe Fiasco - Lupe Fiasco's Food and Liquor
The Fall of Troy - Manipulator
The White Stripes - Elephant
Misery Signals - Mirrors
TV on the Radio - Return To Cookie Mountain
MGMT - Oracular Spectacular
Kanye West - Late Registration
Circa Survive - Blue Sky Noise
Madvillain - Madvillainy