hi i dont know much about distortion pedals and i read the thread the ultimate od/dis.
but if i have the gain all the way up on my amp then i use a distortion pedal does it go even more distorted?

im looking at this distortion pedal http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=260060016

also are they alright for getting pinch harmonics out of?
also overdrive and distortion are the same arent they?
im also looking at a flanger or phaser pedals what are these?
Last edited by DANGERSTRANGER at Dec 16, 2009,
overdrive and distortion ARE NOT the same. distortion sounds cleaner, but isn't cleaner....sounds stupid, but it's like the tone sounds purer, wheras overdrive is muddier. For example bands like AC/DC and Led Zep would have used overdrive (what you get on the amp) but modern bands like Disturbed and Breaking Benjamin use distortion for the most part. Distortion sounds heavier, and i find it's better for pinch harmonics, though you can get it out of both. Distortion and maxed out overdrive on your amp WILL sound dreadful, but you really have to experiment, it will make it more gainy, but not necessarily sound nice.
The DS-1 is fairly mild distortion, the DS-2 is more powerful. I have a MD-2 (mega distortion) and that's frankly awesome for most stuff.
a flanger, is a modulating sort of effect, that sounds a bit like an auto wah, and a phaser is a phase shifter, another modulating pedal that sounds like the sound is compressed and sounds more digital
Any phrase followed by the word "FACT!" makes it more true that it already is.
distortion and overdrive are the similar. Overdrive is less of a break up of the signal. I find overdrive a lot more pleasant, and clearer.
Guitars
Prs Custom 24
Fender Jaguar
Gibson Les paul standard dc
Ibanez as71

Amps
Peavey xxx
Crate v-32h/cab

Effects
Dimebag wah
carbon copy
evh phase
blackstart ht-duel
holy grail plus
electric mistress stereo
dd-20
Overdrives are meant to push an already dirty amp. Distortion are made to run through the clean channel. More or less anyway...
Mesa Rev. G Triple Rectifier
Mesa Series II Single Rectifier
Mesa Stage 1 Stiletto Deuce
Marhshall DSL 100w
Fender '67 Bassman
Fender Roc Pro 1000 (x2)
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland JC-120
Blackstar HT-5H
Jet City JCA20H
Crate GX-15
whateve your choice is, dont get a metal zone unless you want a serious pain in the ass trying to get some decent eq, still all your efforts the sound you can get out of it its very muddy or very sharp, that ds1 its good but we cant recomend you something better without budget and genres
-Dean Dave mustaine vmnt
-Ibanez Rg550 90'
Jvm410c
IFUCKINLOVEMARTYFRIEDMAN
Quote by TheRectified
Overdrives are meant to push an already dirty amp. Distortion are made to run through the clean channel. More or less anyway...

No, boosts are meant to push an already dirty amp.

Overdrives are meant to sound like natural tube break up. It just happens that some also work very well as boosts.
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain