Suggestions?

I am a college student looking for a suggestion from you guys for an all tube amp that costs less than a grand, or in that general range.

That being said I play mostly reggae rock and prefer a sticky, warm, tone somewhat similar to Brad Nowell's setup. I play a mim highway one hss strat with the humbucker at the bridge.

Any information at all is appreciated. Thanks.
Am I the only one who is beginning to think that the guys who invented the descriptive terms for tone really meant semen?

"Looking for a thick, milky, liquidy tone"
"Looking for sticky, warm tone"

etc.

S'either that or pot brownies. Hell, it might actually be pot brownies
Gear
---------
JS20S Satriani signature
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Classic
Randall RM100 Combo w/ Plexi, JTM, Ultra, Recto, and Brown Modules
You just might be. But those were those only words I could come up with. haha. Tone is hard to describe in any sense, which is why i cited the example.
Quote by Phantom123
Am I the only one who is beginning to think that the guys who invented the descriptive terms for tone really meant semen?

"Looking for a thick, milky, liquidy tone"
"Looking for sticky, warm tone"

etc.

S'either that or pot brownies. Hell, it might actually be pot brownies

You're just oversexed.
All the words used for tone are complete bollocks, woman/scooped/rolled etc. They just seem to make no sense unless you already know what they mean...
Well Bradley Knowell used a JC-120 for his upstroke rhythm stuff, and they're around $400 or $500 used, so I'd go with that. The thing is you don't really want a fat, warm tone for reggae... You want a scratchy, dry tone, at least for the upstrokes. If you want bit more versatility, however, I'd go with a Fender like a Hot Rod Deluxe. Another great choice for you would be an older Twin Reverb.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Thanks tubetime!

This will make my trip to GC easier.

And yeah, it's hard for me to describe the actual tone I want in words. KevKev made a good point when saying that it's all bs. But that scratchy tone, you can hear it in Wrong Way, is what I'm after. Thanks again.
try to find an old Silverface fender.

TS, what is the closest major city to you?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Jhachey22

This is your absolute best option IMO. They have a more sterile tone than the older/newer stuff, which is great for reggae. I play funk/reggae stuff mostly and I have a silverface Bassman which works great.

If you are not so well read on Fenders, you are looking for a 1970s model, which are called 'silverface' because their control panels are silver instead of black like the older/newer ones. These go a lot cheaper than older stuff, because it is more sterile. Fortunately for you, sterile is what you want.

Ideal for you would be a silverface Twin Reverb, and you could probably find one for $700 or less. I think that would be the absolute best fit for you.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Thanks for the help yall. Now I don't have to sample nine million amps. If anyone else has a suggestions, please feel free!
Quote by kbrewster
Thanks for the help yall. Now I don't have to sample nine million amps. If anyone else has a suggestions, please feel free!

Basically anything with great cleans, so don't narrow it down too much. A local reggae band in my area has one guitarist and he uses a Dual Rectifier, and it actually sounds pretty good, though admittedly they are more hybrid reggae, like 311. So just keep an open mind. That being said I think you will end up falling in love with a Fender eventually.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I'd just like to put in my thoughts that you can't go wrong with a JC-120. They can go quite cheap second hadn and have one of the greatest clean tones about.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Jhachey22

TS, what is the closest major city to you?

I live in Eugene, from Portland. In the great state of Oregon, of course.
Quote by Kurapica
I'd just like to put in my thoughts that you can't go wrong with a JC-120. They can go quite cheap second hadn and have one of the greatest clean tones about.

Agreed, however if I were into classic rock and other stuff like that as well as reggae (which I am) I wouldn't be able to live without a tube amp. If you ONLY play reggae, then it doesn't get any better than a JC, but if you want the slightest versatility you can do better.

Just found these:
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/msg/1512528313.html - Not too shabby, maybe talk him down to $700. Out of these I found this would be the most traditional reggae choice, but also the least desirable amp.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/msg/1512297329.html - INCREDIBLE STEAL! Not necessarily perfect for reggae, but it will do a great slightly broken up reggae tone.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/msg/1512266549.html - Another great deal... Again, it will break up a little more than most reggae.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Dec 16, 2009,
Yeah, I guess you could say I'm somewhere in the realm of blues/reggae/rock/psychedelic. And that's good to know about the JC not being all tube.
Quote by kbrewster
Yeah, I guess you could say I'm somewhere in the realm of blues/reggae/rock/psychedelic. And that's good to know about the JC not being all tube.

Then get the Bassman I posted above... NOW!!! NOW!!! NOW!!!
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
i know a local reggae guitarist in which his band is quite popular and his tone is quite pristine. he plays mainly a hollowbody guitar, but its into a fender hot rod deluxe. i'd say go for either a hot rod deluxe or a fender blackface/silver face reverb series.

the way to choose IMO is versatility - do you have a full pedal board with high end pedals that can achieve several key tones, specifically drives. the hot rod deluxe has a clean and drive channel, plus more drive, so you have 3 gain settings up front which means no need for OD pedals, unless you choose so for a larger pallet.

If you have a nice pedal board and are looking for a clean amp to replicate this, then look no further than blackface or silverface reverb amps. then it comes down to power/headroom - how big of venues do you play/how early do you want your amp to gain some grit. the bottom of this spectrum being a princeton (15ish watts), and the top a twin (80 watts). and if you want you can settle in the spectrum with a deluxe reverb (the best sounding IMO) at 22ish watts.

hope i helped
If you don't talk to your kids about GAS, who will?
oh i forgot to mention...

if you do not have/use a wah pedal it is a MUST for reggae. adds a great vocal touch to leads, especially with a light drive, and is best suited when used as a fixed tone control. so you can get the warm woofy upstrokes as well as your bright chording etc. etc.
Quote by iheartmy7
the bottom of this spectrum being a princeton (15ish watts), and the top a twin (80 watts). and if you want you can settle in the spectrum with a deluxe reverb (the best sounding IMO) at 22ish watts.

Great info, but you are forgetting a couple things:
1. Deluxe reverbs/princeton reverbs break up pretty early, so getting a good clean tone would be difficult, making these a little less useful for reggae.
2. All of those amps have changed greatly over the years so you have to differentiate by year/era a little more than you have here. ie blackface is a more aggressive overdriven tone, silverface is much cleaner, and less warm. So look at era, not just model.
3. The wattage of those amps have moved around a bit too. I think the original twin was 40 watts, IIRC, and the ultra linear silverface twins were 135 watts, just for an example.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
ah thanks. i thought i made it clear that the twin and deluxe break up earlier when i put them on a spectrum i meant volume and headroom. the era indeed is important. i think some of the transitional ones seem to be quite the jems actually.

i'd lean tworads late blackface era. yes they are more aggressive, which can be good for that snappy reggae sound if you are on the edge of clean and grit. however speaking pure clean the silverface is your best bet, but you also need to conicider that the silverface amps are cheaper because they use cheaper parts (caps and transformers - which can make a huge difference in overall tone quality). as well as transition models check out some modded ones, like a silverface modded to blackface if you are looking to save some money.
Quote by iheartmy7
ah thanks. i thought i made it clear that the twin and deluxe break up earlier when i put them on a spectrum i meant volume and headroom. the era indeed is important. i think some of the transitional ones seem to be quite the jems actually.

i'd lean tworads late blackface era. yes they are more aggressive, which can be good for that snappy reggae sound if you are on the edge of clean and grit. however speaking pure clean the silverface is your best bet, but you also need to conicider that the silverface amps are cheaper because they use cheaper parts (caps and transformers - which can make a huge difference in overall tone quality). as well as transition models check out some modded ones, like a silverface modded to blackface if you are looking to save some money.

Yup, yup... Only thing I disagree with is I would personally lean towards silverface, but mostly because of the price tag, and the fact that he's playing reggae. On an unlimited budget, and for the genres I play I'd take a blackface any day.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
very true. however you can get a steal on a blackface. like that transitional looking blackface bassman you posted a ways back.
Quote by iheartmy7
very true. however you can get a steal on a blackface. like that transitional looking blackface bassman you posted a ways back.

Ya $600 may be a steal on that but I paid $200 for a Bassman from about 10 years later... Did you notice it was rehoused? That is actually a Bassman head put into that cab to make a combo... Pretty cool IMO, but not as desirable because of it.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
i did notice it. didnt make the connection, thought it may have been a limited edition of some sort, but the green tolex and 1x12 was a give away.