Hi, I am new to the forums here, but I have been coming to this site for tabs for a long time, and I figured it would be the best place to ask for help. I have been playing guitar for about 6-7 years now, and I'd say my knowledge about guitar is above average for my age group. I always do my truss rod adjustments, and action adjustments on my own, so I have some basic understanding about all that. But for the past year or so my G string won't stay in tune very long. All my other strings stay in tune very well. I always stretch my strings when I re-string my guitar so that isn't the problem. I've searched on google, but I cant seem to find an answer to my problem. I'm not sure if there is a way to adjust my tuners on my guitar, but I don't want to jump into anything before getting some advice on the subject. I play an ESP-LTD Viper 400 guitar with a fixed bridge, and tune-o-matic tuners. I use the skinny top, heavy bottom stings by Ernie ball, but even when I used the DR Black beauty coated strings I had the problem.
I have never been a member of any forums before, so please forgive me if I am posting in the wrong place, or if I'm not using the correct lingo. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advanced :]
I would buy some locking tuners, they are pretty cheap. My SG has the same problem.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
i have the esp-ltd ec 1000. it has the esp locking tuners and my g string will do this. it doesn't drop out of tune by a huge amount, but it's enough that you notice it when it does
tune-o-matic is the bridge not the tuners

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Haha, pretty much every guitar suffers from the 'G-string-is-the-only-string-that-won't-stay-in-tune-syndrome'
Quote by Jaymz2K
Kidding, they hate you and want you to be miserable.

Also, Charmander.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
If I teach myself to cum on command with the word Jackpot... Won't make any bets, but I'll still be a winner.
Quote by Bowe
so wait... does PETA think all gay people are vegans?
Quote by metalmlitiachaz
i have the esp-ltd ec 1000. it has the esp locking tuners and my g string will do this. it doesn't drop out of tune by a huge amount, but it's enough that you notice it when it does

Exact same problem. Do you get it if you're bending away on the g?
It seems ****ing ridiculous that we payed a fair amount for a good guitar with locking tuners, and yet this still happens. It's really pissing me off.
Oh no he just divided by zero again...*gets sucked into vortex*

Originally Posted by Sirwinston89
whoa man this is turning into the Dream Theater appreciation thread!!! If only every thread kicked this much ass!

You're welcome
Quote by Tabassco
Haha, pretty much every guitar suffers from the 'G-string-is-the-only-string-that-won't-stay-in-tune-syndrome'

This
Yeah, the G-string is usually the one that goes out of tune the most often, or is the most noticeable. You might want to lube the nut a little, sometimes the string sticks a bit. Also make sure you always tune UP to the note, so when you do a bend you will stay in tune. If you tune down to the note, after a bend you will be out of tune.
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
Oh true. Out of all the people I jam with, I am the only one with this problem, but thanks for the quick replies everyone.
Oh and by the way, it doesn't only happen when I do bends, sometimes it will happen after i stop playing for a few minutes, or sometimes it will go out of tune after playing like a 4-5 song set. The weird thing is, it sometimes will go sharp which makes no sense at all to me.
try tightening it by pulling it farther up the buttocks. Should stay up there snug.
Guild DV-4 Acoustic
Fender Standard Telecaster Ash MIM
Fender Vibro Champ XD
Quote by schecter30
try tightening it by pulling it farther up the buttocks. Should stay up there snug.

Could see this coming
DO IT LIVE
Quote by schecter30

Damn someone beat me to it

I had the same problem before...on the guitar not the buttocks, for me I just put on new strings? Not sure how that fixed it but it did?
"I just want to conquer people and their souls."
-Mike Tyson
My girlfr- oh! You meant... yeah tune up to the note... and make sure it isn't snagged in your nut...
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
- Tune up to the note, rather than tuning down to it.
- Use a slightly heavier gauge string.
- Make sure the string is wound 2-3 times around the peg.
- Lube the nut with nut sauce or really soft art pencil.
- When you put the string on make sure you stretch it and retune it until it stays in tune.

That's about all you can do without changing the tuners. Strining technique is the main thing, tbh.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Nut lub as Zero Mike said. Also it could be the way you wind the string. I've heard tons of bad things about Gibsons staying in tune and my explorer's g string went out a lot. When I changed the strings the second time I realized how sloppy I had gotten due to having so many guitars with locking nuts. You might check on the video, link below, and try winding like that before you buy locking tuners. I love locking tuners and they are easier to use but
I don't have the money to buy fifty dollar tuners after I get a new guitar.

Link
SPAM
Stock Gibson Pickups from a 2005 V, I think they're a 498T and 500T set FS/FT
Duncan Distortion (regular spaced) FS

Looking for: an acoustic, recording gear, or $
Lock the strings on themselves when you change them. MrFlibble, a member of these forums, wrote up a pretty good guide on it a while back. I haven't really had any tuning issues on my PRS, Les Paul, Ovations, or Epiphone since I started.
Typically the cause of this problem is a mis-cut nut where the G slot is too narrow or is shaped funny at the bottom. If not that, it's the tuners.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.