this is my tone now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOK45rs5pEU

im using one of those Marshall mg mini stacks (i can proudly say, i hate it) im using a dean hardtail, stock pick ups(im saving to get some emgs )

and i have a black star HT-DISTX (pure valve filth) distortion stomp pedal.

just wondering is there anything i can do thats cheapish that will make my tone sound better.

thanks

better shred than dead
hate to say it...but the problem is your amp. Nice playing though
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Dec 16, 2009,
A good amp will improve your tone a lot. Don't bother saving for new EMGs until you have a good quality amp because new pickups will make little difference.
Gear
Gibson SG Standard with Bare Knuckle Riff Raff and Stormy Monday
Fender Eric Clapton Signature Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
Fulltone OCD
EHX Holy Grail Nano
BYOC Tone Bender Clone
Korg Pitchblack
Fender Bassman '59 Reissue
all you need is some overdrive, a delay pedal, and some backing tracks.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Quote by shredda2084
anything that will give me a kick ass metal/hard rock sound

whats your max budget?
Aside buying a new amp you can try turning up the volume on the amp and picking softer or turning down your volume knob...trust me you'll get a whole different sound out of it. It's really not that bad of a sound it's just very dry sounding...needs some reverb or delay...
The only real point in EMGs is for pushing tubes to crank amps easier. The pre-amp tube in the dist-x sounds better through tubes amps rather than putting the tone through a solid-state. I have both a dist-x and solid state (well, valvestate) amp but it may be soon replaced by an ENGL.

New amp is the way forward.
eyebanez, I notice youre consistently nice and helpful around GG&A, just wanted to say its appreciated
Quote by shredda2084
(im saving to get some emgs )

I thought you wanted to improve your tone.

I'm just going to echo what everyone else has been saying and tell you that it's mostly the amp. What I would do rather than recommend you something, would be to tell you to go down to the nearest guitar store and ask to try out a few amps, with the intention of buying something in your price range, and that you want to get something you like. The problem with recommending gear is that my ears can't be the judge of what you like, so before buying new gear, it's always important to try it out yourself
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
New amp is the best way to go. But if you're not gonna get one in a while, how about buy an equalizer pedal? Proper settings on an equalizer can help you get the tone you're looking for too (obviously not exactly what you want, you'd need to upgrade your amp first, but atleast a little bit towards it)
Guitars:
Ibanez S5470 w/ DiMarzio Crunch Lab & Liquifire
Ibanez RG1527
Ibanez SA160
Ibanez E-Acoustic
Selfmade Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Twang King & Chopper T

"Maybe one day we'll wake up and this will all just be a dream"
a new amp would do it.,. nothing else !!!!!
no pedals. or maybe a computer software but you dont want that digital crappy sound Im sure.
Quote by subzero364
eyebanez, I notice youre consistently nice and helpful around GG&A, just wanted to say its appreciated

aww shucks...

This is cheap and you can make quality tones of any genre with this thing.
Line 6 Gearbox

Go to my profile and listen to Patience, Adrenaline Rush, or Super Mario Bros cover to because I recorded those songs with the tones I made with Gearbox.
D F O I N N T D
T W H O I R S D
Y O O R U
W S I U L C L K
A M S Y S

Quote by ScreamAim&Fire

Beautiful.
XxLloydxX for president!
Even though I'm english..

Want to hear Super Mario Bros Theme on electric rock guitar? SuperMarioBro
BuyMYMusic
SellMusic
I see an NAD thread in your future...
Consider Bugera. I'm not going to say that you should get one, but it's the cheapest way I can think of to get a great hard rock/metal tone in an all-tube amp. The 6262 is based on the Peavey 6505+ and the 333XL is based on the Peavey JSX/XXX/3120. The 6262 has a very gritty distortion while the 333xl is voiced more for shredders and is much smoother sounding. Either way, you can sell your Blackstar if you get one of these - they have more than enough gain on tap. I don't know what the prices are in the UK, but US it's $800 for the 6262 and $850 for the 333XL half stacks. Take 50 bucks off both if you can go for the quarter stack (212 cab instead of a 412) and 150 off if you decide to go for the combos.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Put an order in for a 6505+ 112. You may get one by Christmas next year
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Besides changing the EQ to add more Mids you could try an overdrive pedal like one of the Boss models or even the DOD YJM308 which colors Yngwie Malmsteen's overdrive tone that is supposed to approximate the old classic DOD 250 overdrive pedal.
Fender Malmsteen Strat > Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > NS2 Send > NeoClassic 3080 Compressor > NeoClassic 741 Overdrive > NS2 Return > NS2 Output > VHT Special 6 Ultra Amp > Amp Send > MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay > Boss RC3 Loop Station > Amp Return