Every time I try to play some of my favorite songs they never sounds like the real thing. For example I've been trying so ****ing hard to play The Walking Wounded by Bayside and it does not sound right, it sounds like shit and I'm playing everything correctly and I'm using accurate tabs and everything. It's really frustrating and it doesn't motivate me to play songs because they never sound right. I don't even know why I ****ing bother playing guitar......
Keep trying!!! DONT STOP. It's sooo rewarding. I'm sure you sound more like it than you realize. Make sure and practice the basics. Gotta crawl before you can walk!!
Quote by kbrewster
Keep trying!!! DONT STOP. It's sooo rewarding. I'm sure you sound more like it than you realize. Make sure and practice the basics. Gotta crawl before you can walk!!

this +1
MY GEAR!

Indiana IE1-TSB Electric
Kay K-592 Acousitc
Washburn XS-2 Bass
Peavey VYPYR30 with Sanpera I footswitch
Jay Turser Acoustic Electric
Paul Reed Smith (PRS) Custom SE 24 Black Cherry

www.myspace.com/12goodomens
well, i have the same problem. every time i play some song im all like "omg what the ****? it sounds like crap"... and when i play something by myself im all like "well, hope noone heard that"... and i cant get rid of this
LP owners unite!
Boss OD3
a year and a half? maybe a bit longer
LP owners unite!
Boss OD3
try improving your sound (tone). it also could be tuning problems. i had/have the same problems. it happens to all of us.
MY GEAR!

Indiana IE1-TSB Electric
Kay K-592 Acousitc
Washburn XS-2 Bass
Peavey VYPYR30 with Sanpera I footswitch
Jay Turser Acoustic Electric
Paul Reed Smith (PRS) Custom SE 24 Black Cherry

www.myspace.com/12goodomens
Jason Becker described his playing style was derived from playing his guitar hero's riffs and licks incorrectly (paraphrasing).

and i've just read that last part. as others have said, it happens to all of us. you just have to persevere. maybe you can change something in the song slightly to make it more comfortable to play. otherwise the only other solution is practice
it's probably because you suck. i'm just joking :P
what is your definition of "doesn't sound right. sounds like shit?" if you're playing everything correctly, which i assume you mean playing it note for note correctly at right timing, then i'm guessing you mean your tone sounds like shit.

i highly recommend not using tabs. it is really hard to obtain accurate tabs even on guitar magazines (i've seen so many guitar magazines with a lot of errors) if you really enjoy playing the guitar, then you should train your ear. figure out the notes using your ears. you not only train yourself, but its way more fun this way.
My Axes:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 Telecaster
Fender 62 Stratocaster
Fender American Standard Telecaster
I guarantee you that every single guitarist on here has felt the way you do and many of us are still progressing. Every now and then reaching a plain in development is natural. Learning the guitar is met with small peaks and long plains of skill progression. Don't be too hard on yourself.

Ps. tone is a lil different and something i wouldn't worry about much, at least not right now.
Last edited by kbrewster at Dec 16, 2009,
The #1 and #2 reasons that new players sound really bad is that they're either out of time or out of tune.

Being out of tune is easy to fix - just get a decent electronic tuner and use it religiously. If your tuning isn't stable (ie. you tune up, and the guitar de-tunes itself) you can probably ask for help here.

Playing in time is a little harder. You need to practice EVERYTHING with a drum machine or metronome. Eventually you'll want to play with other people rather than just by yourself. But the key is to never play anything whatsoever without forcing yourself to be in time.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.