I got a problem with my action. It seems too high 0.5cm (on 12 fret). Before you jump saying 'you can change it, idiot', I gotta tell that I had to make it that high or the strings would buzz around the 2nd or 3rd fret.

I change my strings from 11-48 to 9-42 because I had these others already but I plan to change again to 11-48 (got accustomed). Why should they buzz when being so low anyway? Is there a problem with my guitar, truss rod maybe? It seems pretty good when I look at it.

Or is my action normal? My fingers can't reach the upper strings when bending though, they're like too high @_@
Last edited by iPhantom at Dec 16, 2009,
Quote by iPhantom
I got a problem with my action. It seems too high 0.5cm (on 12 fret). BEfore you jump saying 'you can change it, idiot', I gotta tell that I had to make it that high or the strings would buzz around the 2nd or 3rd fret.

I change my strings from 11-48 to 9-42 because I had these others already but I plan to change again to 11-48 (got accustomed). Why should they buzz when being so low anyway? Is there a rpboelmw tih my guitar, truss rod maybe? It seems pretty good when I look at it.

Or is my action normal? My fingers can't reach the upper strings when bending though, they're like too high @_@

rpboelmw tih ?

and uless your playing in c drop c tunning 11-48 is way to big. 10-46(or 44 not sure) is ok if your in E, drop D, and E flat. i use 9-42 because i have smaller fingers and they just feel better.
Last edited by sol-sob-on-pcp at Dec 16, 2009,
Quote by sol-sob-on-pcp
rpboelmw tih ?

and uless your playing in c drop c tunning 11-48 is way to big. 10-46(or 44 not sure) is ok if your in E, drop D, and E flat. i use 9-42 because i have smaller fingers and they just feel better.

XD 'problem with'... corrected

I play in Eb tuning all the time and sometimes drop D. I actually loved 11-48 and could play great with them. I overbend a lot with 9-42 now (mainly because I got used with 11-48 I think).
Quote by sol-sob-on-pcp
rpboelmw tih ?

problem with.

dude, gauge is all personal preference. SRV used 13's in E standard. and I know some people that use 11-54's for E standard. even 12's.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
^SRV was actually a half step down most of the time.

Post in the set up thread, I bet Jenny can help.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
I use 10-52 gauge, but if you want 11's, go for it. Anyway, what you want to do for the truss rod is to put a capo on the first fret then press down with your pinky on the 21/22/24th fret and put your thumb over the 12th fret, all on the low E. You should have about a millimeter of give between the string and the fretboard. Any more or less, and it's time for a truss rod fix.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by iPhantom
I got a problem with my action. It seems too high 0.5cm (on 12 fret). Before you jump saying 'you can change it, idiot', I gotta tell that I had to make it that high or the strings would buzz around the 2nd or 3rd fret.

I change my strings from 11-48 to 9-42 because I had these others already but I plan to change again to 11-48 (got accustomed). Why should they buzz when being so low anyway? Is there a problem with my guitar, truss rod maybe? It seems pretty good when I look at it.

You have to check your neck relief. Putting lighter gauge string on the guitar reduces the amount of tension on the neck which can result in the neck back bowing.
Quote by TNfootballfan62
^SRV was actually a half step down most of the time.

Post in the set up thread, I bet Jenny can help.

it's still pretty heavy for Eb standard
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Could the truss rod be also the reason of other strings making a weak sound when I hit certain notes.

For e.g. when I play the Godfather Theme, I only use the two highest strings. However when I pick certain notes other strings ring and it ruins it all.