I'm looking for a fairly low powered valve amp for home use. My budget is about £500 max. I mainly play blues and rock - John mayer, Srv, Hendrix ect so I want some good cleans/light overdrive and the ability to take a good Overdrive pedal such as a tubescreamer or an OCD.

Right now I'm stuck between a Fender blues Junior tweed edition with a celestion vintage 30 speaker, a vox ac15cc1 and a pre-owned cornell romany.

Any help is much appreciated.
◙▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
      ◂◂  ►  ▐ ▌  ◼  ▸▸

Haters gonna hate
the blues Jr would be your best bet for those tones, IMO.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
I really like the VOX AC15...but I think the Fender might be more of what you're looking for.
Quote by _me_
I'm looking for a fairly low powered valve amp for home use. My budget is about £500 max. I mainly play blues and rock - John mayer, Srv, Hendrix ect so I want some good cleans/light overdrive and the ability to take a good Overdrive pedal such as a tubescreamer or an OCD.

Right now I'm stuck between a Fender blues Junior tweed edition with a celestion vintage 30 speaker, a vox ac15cc1 and a pre-owned cornell romany.

Any help is much appreciated.

Read up on this. It sounds MUCH better than expected. 22 watts, 12" speaker, $350 US Dollars

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Bugera/V22/10/1

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bugera-V22-22W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=502583
Quote by Jhachey22
the blues Jr would be your best bet for those tones, IMO.

I heard that it can be quite "boxy" Any thoughts on this?

eyebanez333, I quite like the vox sound and was considering an ac15cc1, but I heard it was pretty harsh at low volumes.

Anyone ever played the cornell?
Last edited by _me_ at Dec 16, 2009,
Quote by ze monsta
Mayer used Blues Jnrs... It's the right choice. If you have a strat and an overdrive pedal with that thing, you're set for what you want.

Mayer used blues juniors? where did you hear that?

I use a fender 08 american standard strat.
Quote by _me_

i've played the romany plus. Assuming the romany sounds similar, and assuming it's in good nick and you can get it for a decent price, get it. It'll make the blues junior and vox sound like marshall mgs. plus it has inbuilt powerscaling, which makes it much better for home use.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Dec 16, 2009,
Quote by _me_
I heard that it can be quite "boxy" Any thoughts on this?

eyebanez333, I quite like the vox sound and was considering an ac15cc1, but I heard it was pretty harsh at low volumes.

i never found that they sounded boxy. i thought they sounded pretty open for a smaller amp. if you do find this a problem, however, you could always run it through a cab.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
He used them on tour for a while, playing stadiums. And he's used them on TV. To be honest I have no real proof right now, so you'll just have to trust me. If you ask in the John Mayer thread in the blues and jazz forum, they'll hopefully back me up
all you guys saying the blues junior have no idea what a cornell romany is, right?

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i've played the romany plus. Assuming the romany sounds similar, and assuming it's in good nick and you can get it for a decent price, get it. It'll make the blues junior and vox sound like marshall mgs. plus it has inbuilt powerscaling, which makes it much better for home use.

The romany has 2 valves (ECC83 (x1)6L6GT (x1)) as opposed to the plus's 4(ECC83(x2) ECC81 (X1)6L6GT (x1)) and it has a 10 inch speaker rather than a 12.
How much difference do you think this will make? It also has no reverb or effects loop. How well would a reverb pedal work without an effects loop?

It would cost me £500, a whole £5 more than the fender.
i don't think either has an fx loop. I suspect at least one of those extra preamp valves in the plus is actually the reverb driver; whether the romany is the same thing as the plus but without the reverb etc., I don't know.

the plus absolutely destroys the fender, if you ask me. the fender is an intermediate level, mass produced amp made with mediocre-quality parts. the cornell is a boutique, handwired amp. if someone offered you a lamborghini for the same price as a vauxhall, which one would you take? kind of thing.

whether or not the romany (not the plus) is as nice, i don't know.

regarding the speaker and the reverb pedal... that really depends on a number of things.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Dec 16, 2009,
I too have played a Romany plus and I totally second everything that Dave has said!!! It really is no exaggeration to say it would make the blues junior sound like a Marshall MG!!! I am a big fan of the Vox sound but again I would totally jump on the Romany!

You could also look at Rat amps (basically modded valve juniors and similar amps) which are totally upgraded with much better parts than stock and with powerscaling too.

You also might want to ask Dave above about those valvepower amps....
I've never played a Cornell Romany, but it does look great. Also, when I had my AC15 I didn't like it at all, at high volume it was really harsh and shrill, so I did the bright cap mod but still had the problem.

EDIT: Yh, also the ValvePower 18w amp is really great for classic rock and has a nice cleans, it also has a Variable Voltage Regulator, which is like a built attenuator.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Last edited by Jak Archer at Dec 16, 2009,
Quote by Dave_Mc
i don't think either has an fx loop. I suspect at least one of those extra preamp valves in the plus is actually the reverb driver; whether the romany is the same thing as the plus but without the reverb etc., I don't know.

the plus absolutely destroys the fender, if you ask me. the fender is an intermediate level, mass produced amp made with mediocre-quality parts. the cornell is a boutique, handwired amp. if someone offered you a lamborghini for the same price as a vauxhall, which one would you take? kind of thing.

whether or not the romany (not the plus) is as nice, i don't know.

regarding the speaker and the reverb pedal... that really depends on a number of things.

I'm getting that impression of the blues junior too, so I'm pretty tempted by the cornell. The lack of a warranty is putting me off though....
Quote by Dave_Mc
the plus absolutely destroys the fender, if you ask me. the fender is an intermediate level, mass produced amp made with mediocre-quality parts. the cornell is a boutique, handwired amp. if someone offered you a lamborghini for the same price as a vauxhall, which one would you take? kind of thing
Absolutely 100% agree.

Also, look into Matamp. The problem though is, once you've tried either amps your choice will be incredibly difficult!

Search Matamp in Google, note their telephone number and give them a call. You might be surprised what you'd learn from them.

The Minimat II sounds like it could be right up your street.
cheers, guys.

I thought of the valvepower, it's really nice too, but i didn't mention it because i assumed he was after a fender-voiced amp. the valvepower is marshally, but if you're willing to consider marshall clones, it's bound to be worth a look, too. for the stuff you play which you listed in your original post, though, a fender-voiced amp is probably better, to be honest.

lack of a warranty is the problem, yeah. going second-hand is always more risky than going new, unfortunately.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by AngryGoldfish
Absolutely 100% agree.

Also, look into Matamp. The problem though is, once you've tried either amps your choice will be incredibly difficult!

Search Matamp in Google, note their telephone number and give them a call. You might be surprised what you'd learn from them.

The Minimat II sounds like it could be right up your street.

they do look pretty nice, but I can't find anywhere to buy them from
Quote by Dave_Mc
cheers, guys.

I thought of the valvepower, it's really nice too, but i didn't mention it because i assumed he was after a fender-voiced amp. the valvepower is marshally, but if you're willing to consider marshall clones, it's bound to be worth a look, too. for the stuff you play which you listed in your original post, though, a fender-voiced amp is probably better, to be honest.

lack of a warranty is the problem, yeah. going second-hand is always more risky than going new, unfortunately.

I am indeed looking for something fendery . Ill give the shop (mansons) a phone tomorrow to see what sort of condition its in.

Thanks alot for all your help
You could check out the RAT Amplification amps - they're stripped, gutted and upgraded by a bloke from Cornwall. I've never heard a bad word said of his creations and is always willing to help if you have any problems. He has an evilbay shop if you want to check him out.

He does both combos and half stacks and one of the models switches between el34's and 6l6 valves plus it has powerscaling.

Before you ask I'm not a fanboi or anything, just I nearly sprung for one myself as a tidy practice/studio amp myself so I researched them quite a bit.
Quote by _me_
they do look pretty nice, but I can't find anywhere to buy them from
Matamp used to have dealers within the UK but became sick and tired of them for being lazy and stupid, unfortunately.

They do have dealers elsewhere in the world. For UK residents, though, they only sell directly from the factory. Which is in Yorkshire about 30 miles South East of Manchester.

Their amps are maybe slightly more thick and dark than a Fender. But they do have a huge selection and often use similar valves to what Fender equip their gear with, so don't be put off.

I'd say Matamp sound more responsive and unadulterated than Fender. If you like to hear your guitar just as it is, Matamp are your amplifier. They don't have huge amounts of gain, but really sing with an OD pedal.

They also sound brilliant at any volumes. So if you decide you want something like a King Street at 15 watts, no matter how loud you use it at, you'll still have girth and overdrive at your disposal.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
Matamp used to have dealers within the UK but became sick and tired of them for being lazy and stupid, unfortunately.

They do have dealers elsewhere in the world. For UK residents, though, they only sell directly from the factory. Which is in Yorkshire about 30 miles South East of Manchester.

Their amps are maybe slightly more thick and dark than a Fender. But they do have a huge selection and often use similar valves to what Fender equip their gear with, so don't be put off.

I'd say Matamp sound more responsive and unadulterated than Fender. If you like to hear your guitar just as it is, Matamp are your amplifier. They don't have huge amounts of gain, but really sing with an OD pedal.

They also sound brilliant at any volumes. So if you decide you want something like a King Street at 15 watts, no matter how loud you use it at, you'll still have girth and overdrive at your disposal.

They sound pretty tempting, but yorkshires a wee bit of a treck from glasgow
Quote by _me_
They sound pretty tempting, but yorkshires a wee bit of a treck from glasgow
Ah I see. Fair enough.

You may also be interested in these:

Hayden
Mango
MJW (Martamp)
EVA amplifiers

Dave listed those over a year ago to me when I was looking for an amp but I never had the chance to try them out. You may be more lucky.
^ I tell you what I really like the Haydn blondes! Great sound - and a solid amp too.

TS you might want to look into those and the Martamps (although I have no experience with Martamp, myself only research wise)
Vox ac4tv
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
^ Yep - super little amp that but compared to the Cornell Romany???? Doesn't even compare. Not even in the same universe let alone playing field!
Quote by AngryGoldfish
Ah I see. Fair enough.

Hayden
Mango
MJW (Martamp)
EVA amplifiers

Dave listed those over a year ago to me when I was looking for an amp but I never had the chance to try them out. You may be more lucky.

The Martamps look awesome, I really like the look of the goldstar, but again they are based in north derbyshire with no online dealers. The mangos (love the name!) also look good, but are a wee bity over my budget

I just found out I can get a 3 month warranty on the cornell, so i'll probably go for that.

Thanks for all your help
Then IMO that just seals the deal! Get the Romany you won't be disappointed!!! Be warned though it's a very articulate and responsive amp that really identifies nuances of your playing. But by the very same token any sloppiness will be magnified too! But, and it's a BIG but, it really is a truly awesome amp!

Go on - do yourself a favour and promise to get the Cornell pr0n up with clips when you get it!
Quote by _me_
I am indeed looking for something fendery . Ill give the shop (mansons) a phone tomorrow to see what sort of condition its in.

Thanks alot for all your help

yeah, the valvepower's not fendery, at all. a fender-style amp is next on my list, if that tells you anything.

Quote by AngryGoldfish
Ah I see. Fair enough.

Hayden
Mango
MJW (Martamp)
EVA amplifiers

just to point out, i haven't been able to try those, either. i think the evas, anyway, are more marshally. not sure about hayden or mango, i think martamp will make you what you want, kind of thing.

if you can try the cornell, that'd be the best thing to do. As i said, i've only tried the plus version, and i've heard some people say that the plus version sounds better (presumably due to the bigger cab and speaker), while i've heard others say that they both sound good.

good luck
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by _me_
The Martamps look awesome, I really like the look of the goldstar, but again they are based in north derbyshire with no online dealers. The mangos (love the name!) also look good, but are a wee bity over my budget

I just found out I can get a 3 month warranty on the cornell, so i'll probably go for that.

Thanks for all your help
Sorry, I should of looked up prices and dealers first before suggesting them.

I hope it works out for you anyway.

Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, the valvepower's not fendery, at all. a fender-style amp is next on my list, if that tells you anything.

just to point out, i haven't been able to try those, either. i think the evas, anyway, are more marshally. not sure about hayden or mango, i think martamp will make you what you want, kind of thing.

if you can try the cornell, that'd be the best thing to do. As i said, i've only tried the plus version, and i've heard some people say that the plus version sounds better (presumably due to the bigger cab and speaker), while i've heard others say that they both sound good.

good luck
Oh yeah, you're probably right.

Cornell are sold at quite a few different places, as well. You can find the best deal.
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
you see, what these ignorant UG'ers fail to realize is that the Cornell sh1ts over everything else in the market - get that thing NOW!!!!

well, i don't know about that, it'll depend on what type of tone you're after apart from anything else, but they are very nice amps indeed.

Quote by AngryGoldfish

Oh yeah, you're probably right.

Cornell are sold at quite a few different places, as well. You can find the best deal.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?