so there are alot of bands which stand waaay out compared to their counterparts during different times of history.

but what do you think it is which makes an artist memorable of epic proportions?

i think the biggest remembered bands are "pushing the boundaries" at the time, while at the same time having a huge fan base. and those 2 are whats most necessary

i posted this on the nickelback billboard discussion but imo history was:

50s presley-> rebel/girls thought he was hot
60s beatles/stones-> long hair was considered rebellious, beatlemania
70s led zep-> heavier tones then previous
80s hairmetal/thrashmetal/acdc-> alot heavier tone then before
90s grunge-> suicidal depressing music

obviously debatable list^

so what do you think

tl;dr, what makes an artist memorable
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Last edited by JimmyBanks6 at Dec 16, 2009,
Just the right balance between innovation and mainstream.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
His smile.
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

They need to have their own style. Even if it's not mindblowingly original, it should still be "their own". AC/DC aren't exactly pushing any boundaries, but they're still awesome.

Also, the music needs to fit the mood of the generation. Or maybe it's the other way round?
Appearance and tone. I think vocalists stand out the most (Yeah, that's pretty obvious).
Quote by sashki
They need to have their own style. Even if it's not mindblowingly original, it should still be "their own". AC/DC aren't exactly pushing any boundaries, but they're still awesome.

Also, the music needs to fit the mood of the generation. Or maybe it's the other way round?
I believe you are thinking of what makes music "popular." That's different than what makes music "memorable" or "timeless." The kind of music you are talking about fades away with time. Stuff like Bach obviously hasn't.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Being unique. This doesn't really entitle them to be completely original, but they have to have just the right amount of flair to make it so no one else is like them.

I hope that makes sense.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
making sounds noone has done before
being completely original(which is hard to do within the limits of a guitar)

edit: in a way what itchy said
Quote by food1010
I believe you are thinking of what makes music "popular." That's different than what makes music "memorable" or "timeless." The kind of music you are talking about fades away with time. Stuff like Bach obviously hasn't.

The reason why Bach, above all others, will stand the test of time is because he was so innovative in western tonal harmony that we are still living well within his exhaustive coverage. So until tonal music as we know it becomes irrelevant, Bach will stay.
Quote by Jinzu
Since when is Grunge labeled depressing? =/

Since always? What would you describe grunge as? happy?
Quote by j_link13
Since always? What would you describe grunge as? happy?

Anger and depression is hardly the same thing.
I don't cut my wrists whenever i'm pissed at someone, do you?
Quote by food1010

You can be "popular" without being unique.

Besides, the aforementioned musicians have only been known for 50 or so years, as opposed to over 200 years for Bach. Maybe 200 years from now, 20th century artists that are currently highly regarded will be forgotten. But it could equally be the opposite: maybe the imprint they left on modern popular music has been so large that they were a milestone in its history.

Only time will tell.

Plus, there are exceptions to every rule. A lot of artists only become highly regarded after the end of the carrier, or even their lives.

Also, Bach's music was typical of the music of his time. If that period of time is remembered, his music will be associated with it, and hence he will also be remembered. Same applies for 20th century popular music.

Sorry if that was a bit cluttered. I don't know how to explain this concisely.
Last edited by sashki at Dec 16, 2009,
Being memorable in today's music industry is about how much dick you're willing to suck.
The B-52 Bombers Group!
Own a B-52 amp? Join the club!

Quote by nashawa
He may be a troll, but he's an incredibly successful troll. So kudos on that.
Quote by Jinzu

well thinkking the big 3 in grunge, nirvana, pearl jam and alice in chains,

alot more of their songs are based on depression rather then anger, actually not many are anger.

Quote by The Charm
Being memorable in today's music industry is about how much dick you're willing to suck.

Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Quote by Jinzu

Anger and depression aren't the same thing but grunge isnt angry. I would consider grunge to be more " everything sucks" which leans more towards emotional/depressive.

Also people do cut their wrists when they are angry at people.
Quote by Shaggy_420
making sounds noone has done before
being completely original(which is hard to do within the limits of a guitar)

edit: in a way what itchy said

Not really, zappa is by far the most original musician in the last 100 years and people will still claim led zep are the greatest most original thing ever
Quote by sashki

Also, Bach's music was typical of the music of his time. If that period of time is remembered, his music will be associated with it, and hence he will also be remembered. Same applies for 20th century popular music.

It was accepted, but not typical in the sense that you are thinking of. He was considered outdated for his time and fell into obscurity after his death, remaining only relevant as an academic subject of composition. It was only during the 19th century that he was rediscovered after people started to realize how innovative his music really was.
In my opinion, this can be simplified to a mixture of originiality, musical skill, good songwriting ability and a powerful/memorable image.
Having an untimely death.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Quote by Xiaoxi
The reason why Bach, above all others, will stand the test of time is because he was so innovative in western tonal harmony that we are still living well within his exhaustive coverage. So until tonal music as we know it becomes irrelevant, Bach will stay.

I totally agree with that. Had such control over counterpoint and melody he will remain as one of the greatest composers.
Quote by Telecaster_AGY
I totally agree with that. Had such control over counterpoint and melody he will remain as one of the greatest composers.

And he wrote over a thousand pieces of music. 1 of them is bound to survive
Check out my band Disturbed
You kinda have to look at what people will like is all I can say. Although people like Iron Maiden (and others) may have created great sounding songs about "the phantom of the opera" etc. AC/DC will be remembered because they wrote songs about ****ing women/rocking out and partying with friends, which is what the average man wants to hear about.
My name is Jack.