Hello everyone. This probably has an obvious answer that I fail to see.

Why were Fender and Gibson bought by bigger companies in the late 60's and early 70's? They were doing really well on their own up until then, competition from the east was still far behind in terms of quality, and guitar music of the 60's suggests that demand was high. What led to them selling their companies?

Or was it supposed to be a way of expanding business, rather than "giving it up" to another company?

Please explain. Thanks in advance.
I guess the CEO's wanted money. Simple as that.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
i think that in the '60s gibson were struggling to market their guitars because they didn't fit in with the sound that was popular at the time.. that wouldn't explain why fender sold to CBS though..
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
A lot of times, when a private business is successful like that, the owner(s) can sell it for enough to become independently wealthy. When you've worked hard your whole life it's pretty difficult to turn that down.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Early retirement?

Also if the demand is high, they might sell their company because that company would be better equipped to meet high demand.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
I can't say why Gibson was sold, as by that time it was a very old company and Orville Gibson was long since dead. It had probably gone through a few hands before the late 60's. But as for Fender, Leo Fender was not in the best of health and the company had grown too large - physically - for him to oversee it the way he wanted. Leo Fender later remarked that by the time he sold the company, it took him at least an hour to lock all of the doors at the end of the day. He signed a non-competition agreement with CBS when he sold the company, so he was not able to produce instruments until it wore out. Once it did, he and Forrest White (original Fender employee) quickly formed Music Man. Leo Fender later quit to form G&L (With George Fullerton - another original Fender employee). Leo Fender remained with G&L until he died.
Quote by Even Bigger D
A lot of times, when a private business is successful like that, the owner(s) can sell it for enough to become independently wealthy. When you've worked hard your whole life it's pretty difficult to turn that down.

that's what i'd have thought, too. Could be wrong, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Because around this time, it became less about providing quality instruments to the musicians, and more about the money. It's why Leo Fender left to form G&L with George Fullerton and Dale Hyatt.