well the string seems to be touching the first few frets on my guitar and i was wondering how to fix this? does it have to do with the truss rod?
My Gear:

Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Junior
Standard Stratocaster (JB Junior in Bridge Position)
Peavey Raptor Plus Exp

Amps:
Marshall MG100HDFX/MG412 Slant Cab Half Stack
Peavey TransTube Rage 158
no, just raise the action a little bit from the bridge.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by ibrahimasood
how do you raise action from a a Gibson style bridge?

the big flat head screws on the bridge?
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
If you have problems on the first fret then raising the action at the bridge is not going to help.

You need to look at the nut as i suspect the slots have been worn away to the point that the strings are making contact with the first fret.

Sadly it means a new nut is required, on the plus side its not going to break the bank just the cost of the nut and a setup and you will be right on track.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Quote by halikus
If you have problems on the first fret then raising the action at the bridge is not going to help.

You need to look at the nut as i suspect the slots have been worn away to the point that the strings are making contact with the first fret.

Sadly it means a new nut is required, on the plus side its not going to break the bank just the cost of the nut and a setup and you will be right on track.

Ya this would seem to be your main problem if anything. If it the fret buzz doesn't go through the amp when played then you could leave it alone but it's probably better to just get the correct nut with the correct cuts in it installed.
measure the neck's relief.

if the neck has a back bow to it, it'll buzz at the first few frets.

to check, fret the Low E string at the first fret
at the same time, fret the same string at the last fret, where the neck and body meet.

with both places held, look at the middle frets.

is the string laying on the fret wire there?

if so, post back

if it's touching the frets, yes the cuts are too low, but let's see what the neck is doing first.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Dec 16, 2009,
halikus The nut has nothing to do with it when you finger the first fret...it's out of the equation.
It may be a low first fret.