Page 1 of 3
11th grade at my school is ridiculous. Yeah yeah, I know what some of you older people are thinking:

"lulz what an immature noob, stop complaining, college is harder, stfu reported"

But my school is crazy. People who graduated and went on to college (good colleges, mind you) found that the work was actually EASIER than in Junior year.

Anyway, I have hours upon hours of work: literary analyses, history essays, math tests, art research pages, Chinese oral exams, a biology test, and then then on top of that, the regular homeworks given by the teachers.

Long story short, I'm screwed

I'm pretty sure I have ADD, and I just can't concentrate on this type of thing hours at a time. What can I do to be able to focus for hours straight to do work?

tl;dr - how do I keep up concentration for an extended period of time?

thanks!
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

I don't sleep. Extend time and focus can be lowered.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
1. Get off The Pit; now.
2. Tell yourself that you will NOT do anything else until a certain assignment is done.
3. Bring any food/beverages you might be wanting in with you.
4. Maybe listening to music would help, but make sure that whatever it is is automated, like a playlist or a radio, so you won't distract yourself by trying to find certain songs.
Quote by fearofthemark
I'm pretty sure I have ADD, and I just can't concentrate on this type of thing hours at a time. What can I do to be able to focus for hours straight to do work

This really gets under my skin. Boredom =/= ADD. Everybody gets bored of doing work for hours, but we suck it up and deal with it, rather than claiming it's some disorder and not our fault.

/endrant
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by StewieSwan
This really gets under my skin. Boredom =/= ADD. Everybody gets bored of doing work for hours, but we suck it up and deal with it, rather than claiming it's some disorder and not our fault.

/endrant

I am dealing with it.... I'm not using it as an excuse to not do work, I'm asking for ways to get around it and be able to focus nonetheless.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Just think about your future.

View these assignments and studying as tasks that need to be finished, because in this case if you do not finish them the world will EXPLODE!

Yes, the world will explode! Get working on it or you'll kill is all you bastard!

GO GO GO
Quote by fearofthemark
I am dealing with it.... I'm not using it as an excuse to not do work, I'm asking for ways to get around it and be able to focus nonetheless.
So get off and get to work....

Edit:
Quote by fearofthemark
Anyway, I have hours upon hours of work: literary analyses, history essays, math tests, art research pages, Chinese oral exams, a biology test, and then then on top of that, the regular homeworks given by the teachers.

Lulz.
Last edited by herby190 at Dec 16, 2009,
Quote by sticksause
Don't do the small assignments and get A's on tests.

Unfortunately, my school doesn't work like that
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

I dont do it if its dumb.

sorry. If hw is less then 10% of ur grade then I wouldn't do it unless you want 2 be an A student
Quote by Kyose
You sir are my God.

That game had the best synthesis system ever.

Quote by firebird103
I'm pretty sure you just won the thread. I can confirm everything you just said as well being a heavily qualified geek myself....

Congrats sir
you just gotta do it

breaking up with your boyfriend would help too, less stuff to distract you

████████████████████

███████████████████████
███████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████████

█████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████

█████████████████████

████████████████████
i personally find doing something simple like chewing gum helps keep me on task.
Quote by herby190
So get off and get to work....

I am working. I'm studying for my chinese test tommorrow.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

I always got work done in about half the time as my friends, so I never really had that problem :/ I took all AP's in high school and go to a top 20 college in the country also.
Quote by Venice King
I don't sleep. Extend time and focus can be lowered.

This, I had to do about 10 pages of good research in one night, did it without sleep. Was like a zombie at college the next day, but ah well.
I got all that too, I'm doing the IB program and the shit they give you is beyond ****ed... Lab reports, essays, oral presentations, exams, IT project (designing a website), and 2 math portfolios is what I have to give in a week or so.. I also have accumulative exams in like 2 weeks...
Quote by fearofthemark

You have 8 or more teachers?
Stop being a bitch and instead of whining, just do the damn work. Everyone told me that high school was hard and in those years you get so much homework. Truth is, there's not that much, people just like to waste time whining.
Quote by Wulphy
Being a Republican should be a handicap.
Get off the internet. And work all night to finish your work and in the morning take a cold shower to wake up. That's what my math teacher did.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

It's all about self-control. GTFO off the internets and get to work. There is no secret method, it's all up to you.

And yes, that is easier said than done. I never managed to follow that advice, but I hope you will. Sort our your priorities, focus on one thing at a time and GO

Disconnect your computer from the internet when you're doing something you don't need research for. Also, take regular short breaks. Just get up, walk around, grab a drink or something. Don't do it too often. Challenge yourself to get as far as you can between breaks.

BTW, is all this work due tomorrow?
Last edited by sashki at Dec 16, 2009,
I go onto ultimate guitar and write a thread about it.

I just do it, not much point wasting time getting stressed.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
first off , are you good at art? if not stop trying because its extremely pointless in the long run i'd say study the things you want to do later on and the important thingfs like math sciences etc..
Quote by speedy1330
you just gotta do it

breaking up with your boyfriend would help too, less stuff to distract you

wait, do you honestly think I have a boyfriend?
I'm a straight guy.

if that was a joke, I feel really stupid

Quote by yomoma21
i personally find doing something simple like chewing gum helps keep me on task.

thanks! I'll try that.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

I've gone the past 4 years with only doing 4 pieces of homework - 2 essays & a couple of other small things, & that's just been in the past couple of months!
& I got homework all the time the past few years, & never got in any trouble (or if I did I just didn't pay attention), my teachers learnt to live with it

& a lot of people will see me as quite a dick for this! If people do the same as me, but complain when they get in trouble for it, I'd see them as a dick too...
Also, consider the fact that contrary to popular opinion, homework isn't set to make you suffer. It may be quite a load, but it's feasible. People in past years have done it, and so can you.
usually if i work out, like run 5 miles or so before i study, I can focus a lot better and get things done faster.
My Gear:
Vox AD15VT
Line 6 Spider ll 112
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser Temptest
Quote by oriolesazb
mine is probably that totaly awsomely hard solo in wake me up when september ends, evry time i hear that solo i drool.
Quote by fearofthemark
I am working. I'm studying for my chinese test tommorrow.

No, you're on the internet. That is not studying. Obviously, this is distracting you from doing your work.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
Quote by Portuguese_boy
I got all that too, I'm doing the IB program and the shit they give you is beyond ****ed... Lab reports, essays, oral presentations, exams, IT project (designing a website), and 2 math portfolios is what I have to give in a week or so.. I also have accumulative exams in like 2 weeks...

IB buddies!

my math teacher is insane. he gives 6 portfolios -__-

Quote by Eliyahu
You have 8 or more teachers?
Stop being a bitch and instead of whining, just do the damn work. Everyone told me that high school was hard and in those years you get so much homework. Truth is, there's not that much, people just like to waste time whining.

I have around 8 teachers.

you haven't been to my school. There IS that much.

Quote by professorlamp
first off , are you good at art? if not stop trying because its extremely pointless in the long run i'd say study the things you want to do later on and the important thingfs like math sciences etc..

top in the class

Quote by LazyLatinoRocke
Get off the internet. And work all night to finish your work and in the morning take a cold shower to wake up. That's what my math teacher did.

whoa, great shower idea! thanks
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Quote by CrazyPigeon
I don't do it. Simple.

Yeah, pretty much.
XIAOXI
Honestly, I don't do it. That is how I deal with it. I stopped giving a **** about my future and shit awhile ago.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
Quote by RockGuitar92
Honestly, I don't do it. That is how I deal with it. I stopped giving a **** about my future and shit awhile ago.

Me too!
Most high paying jobs I can think of, or anyone tries suggesting to me, just seem really boring to me! I'd prefer to be doing something I enjoy, rather than something extremely boring

& I see we're both Alexi Laiho fans... Coincidence?!
Last edited by _-Joey-_ at Dec 16, 2009,
Do you have a study hall? I do all of my work in study hall and computer 1 (it's an incredibly easy class, and all done out of the book, so I'm way ahead). I don't even carry a backpack, or anything to-and-from school, and yet my lowest grade is a C, and as of now, my average is a high B.
Last edited by herby190 at Dec 16, 2009,
When I have a lot of homework I always just end up BSing my way around it by just guessing on a lot of the stuff, and I pass with flying C's and D's!

Quote by herby190
Do you have a study hall? I do all of my work in study hall and computer 1 (it's an incredibly easy class, and all done out of the book, so I'm way ahead). I don't even carry a backpack, or anything to school, and yet my lowest grade is a C.

no, the only "study hall" type thing we have is advisory, and that's for working on extended essays:

Quote by DanBLON00
When I have a lot of homework I always just end up BSing my way around it by just guessing on a lot of the stuff, and I pass with flying C's and D's!

Quote by sashki
Also, consider the fact that contrary to popular opinion, homework isn't set to make you suffer. It may be quite a load, but it's feasible. People in past years have done it, and so can you.

I know it's not set to make me suffer, but I suffer anyways
and people in past years broke down crying around this time and had to go to the guidance counselor.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

Eliminate your distractions. When I'm pressed to get something done the best way to do it is to buckle down in an area where you won't be distracted, that way I can stay focused for 6+ hours at a time.
15 minutes of rest for 45 minutes of studying.
2 hours studying per hour of class.

Yep.
Page 1 of 3