Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and I need someone to straight this out for me
Everywhere I look it says that STH is played on A minor but on that descending part of "makes me wonder"(Em-D-C-D) and also at the beginning there's a D major...Isnt A minor supposed to have a Dm? Is it a borrowed chord or something?
Thanks in advance!
STH isn't in strict A minor the whole time. The presence of the D major chord makes the key A dorian for parts, or an A minor scale with a raised sixth (F natural --> F#).
Dorian rules
I wish I could tell you more than this.

A minor is all naturals, like C major. If any of the above mentioned chords uses a sharp or flat, then it is borrowed. E minor has F#, but it won't really matter if that note is never played, it's still in A minor. I don't know exactly how chords go into chords like whatever you're talking about (like how I don't get what you mean by A minor having a D minor chord in it), but I know my keys enough to know that A minor is all natural.

I honestly haven't heard the song enough to have a clue what part you're talking about, but I told what I could from the info you gave me.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
Welcome to the forums. For questions like this, you're better off asking in the 'Musician Talk' forum.

I'm not very familiar with the song, but from your example, it sounds like a quick key change to Em or simply an 'out of key' chord borrowed from the relative major.
Sounds like the key of G to me if it has Em-D-C-D. You could still play every note in Aminor pentatonic and still be in the key of G. Also commenting on the A dorian piece, if you don't know A dorian is the G major scale but starting on the A note.
Quote by guitarmaniac88
I wish I could tell you more than this.

A minor is all naturals, like C major. If any of the above mentioned chords uses a sharp or flat, then it is borrowed. E minor has F#, but it won't really matter if that note is never played, it's still in A minor. I don't know exactly how chords go into chords like whatever you're talking about (like how I don't get what you mean by A minor having a D minor chord in it), but I know my keys enough to know that A minor is all natural.

I honestly haven't heard the song enough to have a clue what part you're talking about, but I told what I could from the info you gave me.

Well, What I meant with A minor having D minor in it is: you pick the Aminor scale and you harmonize the scale and you have some chord progressions. It so happens that harmonizing the scale of A minor results in the following chords:

Am - Bdim - C - Dm - Em - F - G

And as you may very well notice by listening to the song or looking at the tab, STH uses chords C major, D major and A minor a lot...And the chord D major is not part of the harmonized A minor scale because it contains an F# ( D - F# - A )

So that makes me think that those D major chords are borrowed chords ( if someone could elaborate on that or link me to somewhere I could learn more about that I would appreciate it a lot )

Quote by BMP
Sounds like the key of G to me if it has Em-D-C-D. You could still play every note in Aminor pentatonic and still be in the key of G. Also commenting on the A dorian piece, if you don't know A dorian is the G major scale but starting on the A note.

Well, it would be in the key of G because there are a lot of F major chords towards the end...and F major doesnt belong to the harmonized G major scale, but rather F# major.
So I conclude that it is played on A dorian, not sure though.