Hey guys. I'm doing music as part of my final exams in high school, and i have to do a practical part. my teacher doesnt play guitar and so she really cant help me here. she said the standard for the practical needs to be around grade 5 or higher, so i was wondering what grades these songs were:

Reclamation - Lamb of God

Whiskey in the Jar - Thin Lizzy (lead)

Unholy Confessions - Avenged Sevenfold

Fixation on the Darkness - Killswitch Engage (will probably do the live version, its faster and a little harder)

To Live Is To Die - Metallica (lead, both solos)

Cowboys From Hell - Pantera (rhythm)

I Never Wanted - As I Lay Dying

EDIT: also Plug In Baby - Muse

cheers guys/gals
Quote by stringsquealer
dude you have a razorback explosion?!?!
im so jealous

Quote by Kyle.E
Munky has a reason. A reason to live. *applauds*

Last edited by munkymanmatt at Dec 16, 2009,
Grades?
"...I cried. Just for a second. Then I thought, 'I must rock.' "
- James Iha

Rock on y'all!

If you can play it, It's easy. If you can't, it's not.

You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Reclamation - Lamb of God B+

Whiskey in the Jar - Thin Lizzy (lead) C

Unholy Confessions - Avenged Sevenfold D+

Fixation on the Darkness - Killswitch Engage (will probably do the live version, its faster and a little harder) B-

To Live Is To Die - Metallica (lead, both solos) C+

Cowboys From Hell - Pantera (rhythm)B

I Never Wanted - As I Lay Dying B

Plug In Baby - Muse C+

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
some of those are pretty difficult songs, whereas some arent, such as the rhythm section to cowboys from hell is really easy, never a grade 5
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Fender 300CE T-Bucket
Dean DOF ML [For Sale]
Marshall AVT 2000 valvestate
Ibanez modified turbo tube screamer
Digitech RP250
I was unaware there was a standard unit of measurement for song difficulty.

Agreed with the person who said that it's subjective. Just play what you think is good for the final.

Also, are you playing with a backing track? That would be something to consider while picking a song.
In the UK & other places, we grade our pieces by difficulty.
These grades range from one to eight, then we can do performance or teaching diplomas.
Look up ABRSM.

- Adam
Quote by Calvero
Grades?

I was expecting something like this. In england and ireland anyway, we can take exams from ABRSM which grade you as a musician from 1-8. it doesnt seem that guitar players take these exams as much a say, piano or violin players do.
in england a grade 8 with distinction can be counted to get you into college/university, but not in ireland, hence why i havent done them.

EDIT: beaten to it. and yes i'll be using backing tracks, i'm going to have to find a way to turn a midi track into a normal CD file (whatever that is) and then burn them. i reckon ill use the tracks from guitar pro tabs on the site.
Quote by stringsquealer
im so jealous

Quote by Kyle.E

Last edited by munkymanmatt at Dec 16, 2009,
Quote by munkymanmatt
I was expecting something like this. In england and ireland anyway, we can take exams from ABRSM which grade you as a musician from 1-8. it doesnt seem that guitar players take these exams as much a say, piano or violin players do.
in england a grade 8 with distinction can be counted to get you into college/university, but not in ireland, hence why i havent done them.

Oh that's pretty interesting. I'll look up the rest. Thanks.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
anyone? i seriously need to know this.
Quote by stringsquealer
im so jealous

Quote by Kyle.E

You are going to do a performance exam and play metal music? That just seems funny to me, probably because my college is only classical. I don't know grades, but I think if you chose a classical piece the Grades are probably more easily defined.
They don't have a grade rating for this sort of music, only classical guitar work. What is it for anyways?
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Like grade 1 - 3
I'm pretty sure the grade levels only apply to classical guitar
I could be wrong though
If your music teacher is any cop, he/she should be able to look at the music (would probably need to be sheet music rather than tab). Even if they don't play guitar, should be able to see the skill and techniques required to play each piece.

Also, try guitarbt.com for the backing tracks.

Hope it goes well.
Well personaly I wouldn't play any rhythm stuff for final exams. Unless it's technical rhythm. I'd deffinatly say some Paul Gilbert or Gun N' Roses is over grade 5. I'd try Down To Mexico byt Paul Gilbert or Mr Brownstone by GNR since it has an interesting rhythm and a nice solo.
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!