This must be as old as the hills but I am new to bass so please humour me. I play guitar and have moved to bass, I find it easier playing with a pick ala nikki sixx, which seeing as i play 80s metal may not be a problem.

What i want to know is will playing with a pick limit me or be a real problem as I advance
pick vs finger is all about tone period.

learn both or yes you will be a limited bassist
I tend to use the searchbar.

Before this thread gets closed though, there are 2 points you must know.
1. It's personal opinion.
2. Learn both. You may only use one, but be able to use both if needed.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
fingers allow for faster and more versatile playing, it's also more impressive to watch a guy playing with his fingers
I'M A COWBOY
Quote by loaded_
fingers allow for faster and more versatile playing, it's also more impressive to watch a guy playing with his fingers

Subjective to the max!

Really depends on genre and playing style. I've seen funk players play with a pick and I've seen punk players play with fingers. Just find a tone and technique you like and you should be set.

I play with a pick in songs where my bass sound needs to be defined and precise, and I play with my fingers for more mellow and chill-out stuff...

But remember, with the ladies, a bass player uses 2 fingers... and a thumb
Baaaaaaazz
I dislike the percussive sound of a pick and find that I get lost on my bass when I play with a pick. I don't feel as connected to my guitar either. I can play pick style, as I learned to play with it, but after a year or 2 of picking, I switched to mostly fingers, and now I can't go back.

Plus you can drop a pick, unless your fingers are prone to falling off at random times, you'll never drop them.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
Quote by QvistDK
Subjective to the max!

Really depends on genre and playing style. I've seen funk players play with a pick and I've seen punk players play with fingers. Just find a tone and technique you like and you should be set.

I play with a pick in songs where my bass sound needs to be defined and precise, and I play with my fingers for more mellow and chill-out stuff...

But remember, with the ladies, a bass player uses 2 fingers... and a thumb

Only two? I'm trying to learn 4 finger plucking right now.
I've recently mastered triple fingering. Quad fingering is crazy!
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles

Quote by mac_attack
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
Quote by Alex Vik
Only two? I'm trying to learn 4 finger plucking right now.

...with the ladys?
no sir away a papaya war is on
Ive never had any complaints off any of the girls Ive been with about the way I finger a G-string
Quote by higgins666
Try to become the Inspector Gadget of bass.

I'm siggin' that. I just watched Inspector Gadget the other day [for the life of me I can't figure out why..]
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles

Quote by mac_attack
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
Closing thread. Please use the search bar. If I had a fiver for every thread on this, I'd be buying my Urge II tomorrow...