what is the difference besides price?

also, does the standard have alpine white with ebony fingerboard like the studio can have?
The studio is more simple, is built to lower quality standards (aparently they've hit a new low in recent years, but I don't know if that's true)

They also have different pickups (490's on the studio, Burstbuckers on the standard) and the studio is completely solid while the post-2008 standard is chambered.

EDIT: Nevermind, they're both chambered.
Last edited by sashki at Dec 16, 2009,
diff pickups, lower standard for sure...

I Asked this question once before and never got an acurate answer
Gear

Guitars
Ibanez ART 300
Squier Strat
Godin 12 string Antique cedarburst
Ibanez RGD 320

Amps
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60W
Peavey Solo 15 W
Fender 10 W

Effects
Dunlop GCB - 95 Crybaby wah
Boss DD-7 Digital Delay
Boss MT-2 Distortion
Cosmetics such as binding/finish qualities. Pickups. Quality of build. It's kind of hazy what the real differences are besides the obvious ones I mentioned due to some of Gibby's QC issues. I've played some great Les Paul studios and some pretty shitty ones. My friend has a really really nice one and I went into a shop thinking to get one and played a piece of trash. Same goes for the standards though. Lots of lemons. Lots of great ones too! But lots of really poorly constructed guitars.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Dec 16, 2009,
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Cosmetics such as binding/finish qualities. Pickups. Quality of build. It's kind of hazy what the real differences are besides the obvious ones I mentioned due to some of Gibby's QC issues. I've played some great Les Paul studios and some pretty shitty ones. My friend has a really really nice one and I went into a shop thinking to get one and played a piece of trash. Same goes for the standards though. Lots of lemons. Lots of great ones too! But lots of really poorly constructed guitars.

^i second that
tey are generally the same, a lot of it is ascetics, the studio has no binding, they are less picky about the woods they use, and the pickups are different. 490 and 498 in the studio and the standard has burstbuckers.
no the standard dose not have an alpnine white with ebony fingerboard option
i played a studio deluxe and a traditional pro at guitar center recently, they both played and sounded really nice. i really like the studios u might find one that plays better than a standard and sound the same
The studio comes in better finishes though.

ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
mmm, well alot of people here trash gibson, which is understandable, as I personally played some very bad les paul standards, but each studio I played was very nice, especially the alpine white... i love ebony fingerboards, anyway, just wondering as I am probably getting an alpine studio for teh xmas.
I don't think I've ever even seen a Gibson with ebony fingerboard. Source?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Pretty much all been covered accept you can get a studio with no maple cap. Some people would say it's not a an actual Les Paul then but whatever. If you want a lower end midy tone get a faded studio. If you like the brighter tone get the faded maple top or one of the solid colors
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Last edited by Crohny at Dec 16, 2009,
Why does this thread get made every month? Use the searchbar, this has been done to death.
Quote by CarpUK
Beat the recession by soldering your strings back together! What's more, the extra metal vibrating back and forth will add to your tone... and what could be more metal than more metal!?!

Quote by biga29
Plz uz reel wurdz bcoz wen u tipe lik this its hard 2 red.
Quote by The_Future_Soon
Why does this thread get made every month? Use the searchbar, this has been done to death.

Maybe you should make a sticky or a master thread for this question because it apparently is a common one. I haven't seen it before. Otherwise, quit complaining.
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
Quote by Vauxite
The studio comes in better finishes though.

You're damn right about that finish. Very nice.
Quote by aznrockerdude
I don't think I've ever even seen a Gibson with ebony fingerboard. Source?
Look up the Les Paul Custom. They've been making them with ebony fretboards for decades. This is basic Gibson 101 here.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Dec 17, 2009,
WE have Twin's Wine Red with Ebony.
Quote by MrFlibble
Look up the Les Paul Custom. They've been making them with ebony fretboards for decades. This is basic Gibson 101 here.

Oh, I was assuming TS was talking about the Alpine Studio.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Last edited by aznrockerdude at Dec 17, 2009,
well my studio (i think) is a limited run "vintage mahogany" so it was possibly built to a slightly higher standard than the regular studios as the limited runs tend to be, as well as having burstbucker pickups just like the standard. It's certainly a very high quality guitar that i've liked a lot more than most standards i played. It may not have the best finish but it plays brilliantly and the sound is just excellent - it's got a very distinct woody tone, which is full of character, very deep and dark but not in the slightest bit muddy.

however, i have played some pretty awful studios - maybe i personally just didn't like them, but there's some that sound like pure mud, some that sound completely harsh and nasty, some that are a real pig to play.. although i find that the same just as much applies to the standards, really.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by aznrockerdude
Oh, I was assuming TS was talking about the Alpine Studio.

I have a Les Paul Studio in Alpine White. It has an ebony fretboard and gold hardware. That's what makes the Alpine White version cost a bit more than the other Studios. I've had mine for a few years and it is a truly great guitar.
Quote by FatalGear41
I have a Les Paul Studio in Alpine White. It has an ebony fretboard and gold hardware. That's what makes the Alpine White version cost a bit more than the other Studios. I've had mine for a few years and it is a truly great guitar.

Have I been living under a rock for all these years?
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Quote by Chaos Nil
Maybe you should make a sticky or a master thread for this question because it apparently is a common one. I haven't seen it before. Otherwise, quit complaining.

That isn't my responsibility and if you've been here more than a day you know that. I'm being nice by informing him that there is a plethora of information already on this forum if he's willing to search for it. If I was being an ass, I'd just say *reported* because it's pretty much spam at this point, but I didn't. I also own an LP Studio and did search the forums for info before buying it. They are fantastic guitars if you take the time to find a good one, but they can be pretty awful if you don't. Honestly, the best advice any of us can give him is to play one himself and to use the damn searchbar to see how much info on this already exists. There's plenty.

EDIT:

Since I'm in a giving mood, here are the answers to all of OP's questions:

Can you get a standard in alpine white with an ebony board?

Nope, sorry

What are the differences between this and the standard?

Everything, since the 2008 "upgrade". Before that, not a lot.

Supposedly the Standard gets better wood, but that is difficult if not impossible to prove. what we can prove is that the Standard has different (mostly better) hardware. All of it, from pickups to pots to the jack. It also has binding on the neck and body, and flamed maple on the top instead of unfigured maple. They sound slightly different, but that's mostly a cosmetic thing in this case IMO.

See here for more info: http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/2008-Les-Paul-Standard/Features.aspx

and here for the Studio: http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Studio/Features.aspx

The Gibson site also has all the info you need on finishes.

It is worth noting that Gibson's website makes every feature of their guitars sound so much better than it actually is. Take anything you read there with a grain of salt. The won't lie about what's on there (like saying "THE FINGERBOARD IS MADE OF SHARDS OF THE HOLY GRAIL) but they will say things like "this is the best feature ever" or "this will change guitar forever" or "Hendrix would have refused to play anything else if he had owned one of these" even if they're describing an Epiphone bolt-on starter kit guitar. So just be on guard for that.

Hope this helped, and please search around for info before making a new thread so that the folks here don't have to answer the same questions over and over. Thanks! Hope you enjoy the new guitar! I know I love mine.
Quote by CarpUK
Beat the recession by soldering your strings back together! What's more, the extra metal vibrating back and forth will add to your tone... and what could be more metal than more metal!?!

Quote by biga29
Plz uz reel wurdz bcoz wen u tipe lik this its hard 2 red.
Last edited by The_Future_Soon at Dec 17, 2009,
played a studio. twas shitty, imo my squier played better and had better tone.
then i played a standard: awesome, felt "right"
Quote by Riffofthebeast
i just got a great idea! i think i might want to set up a blog somewhere because i have a lot of great ideas to share. would you guys read it if i did?
trolling the pit since Aug 09^
Thanks for your help, guess I just gotta get lucky about the QC lol, either way it will be a huge upgrade to my shitty starter ibanez I've had for 4 years.
The studios don't have bindings and they have different finishes. Also different pick ups.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
One of the reasons I went with a Studio over a standard was because of the Ebony FB, I didn't want to shell out over $3k for a Custom so i thought the studio was a good choice.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.