So I'm looking for a new guitar. more likely than not it will be a strat, im not sure which though, my price range is anything up to 1000 preferably closer to 800. i play blues, rock, jazz, some pop, gospel, funk and a bit of metal and harder rock but i don't expect to play metal with a strat though i know i can be done.

so far ive considered:
kenny wayne sig
jimmie Vaughan sig
classic and classic player 50's strats
road worn 50's used
standard mim strat
used american standard

of those i've only actually played the 50's road worn and the standard mim.

anyway what do guys suggest?
if the American Standard is in good shape that would be my personal choice... but im more of a telecaster type of guy
Quote by lifesuckstomuch
Quote by Mangohabs
...great post

Quote by Headphonehead
@ Cobracarg: 1 word:Genius!!!
Ok can we stop sucking this dudes dick and deal with my question?
hmm i haven't looked really at the lonestar, it seems like just a mim with texas specials. doesn't really sound like a good deal to me. is there any reason why you think its a good choice?
I have a Korean Made Lite Ash Strat. Kicks major ass, and not too expensive.
i would definitely check out the deluxe players strat. i've had mine for 3 years now and its an awesome guitar. it come with noisless pickups too. most strats you see, when you put it at certain pickups, itll make an annoying humming sound. these dont. i recommend this one 100%

EDIT: if you dont believe me, at least try it out and decide for yourself
Last edited by dlguitarmaster7 at Dec 16, 2009,
No Squier, the Korean Made Lite Ash Strat is a fender special edition. They come with a Birdseye Maple Neck, Abalone Inlays, and Seymour Duncan Pickups, though mine came with Fender 57 reissues. They are built rather well, and mine only cost 600
http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Eric-Johnson-Sunburst-Stratocaster_W0QQitemZ330387757624QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item4ceca51a38

$100 more than that $1000 requirement if you want to dish out the money. I own one, best playing and sounding strat I've ever laid hands on (Except for an original '54 my neighbor owns .)

Supposedly the best production strat on the market too, I'd go for it.
Just bought a new lonestar fat strat for $540 (with coupon) out the door. I looked at the mim standards and thought they were nice, but to tell you the truth the neck on the one I ended up taking home was not up to par... it had a few waves and valleys and the frets were a bit ruff... the bridge was slightly mal aligned too... it was very subtle, but you could tell that the strings wanted to set off center... so I brought it back and forked out a few more for the Lonestar and it has a few drawbacks too like everything else, but all around I think this is a much better guitar.

Now I'm pretty sure they are supposed to have the same necks, but the neck on my Lonestar is just about perfect and the pickups are definitely a step up from the stock pups in the standard. The fat strat has the texas specials, but only in the neck and mid positions... it has a SD pearly gates bucker in the bridge. I've always been an sss player, but I just wanted to break out of the box and try something else.

The SD bridge pickup has it's own tone control and the TS neck and mid use the other tone control; it takes a little getting used to, but it's a lot of fun to have so many variables. 2 and 4 sound very nice, but not quite as quacky as a typical strat.

The only thing that I'm not quite happy with is the pronounced mid range as there's a slight lack of highs, but the lows sound incredible and nice and tight and with some lowering of the pups at the right angle the Texas Specials shine... they sound really warm and powerful with no harshness at all. I think the spread of highs and lows are not as much as I would like at times, but there's also times when I want exactly the tones that these pickups offer... it always sounds good, and sometimes sounds awesome, but never sounds bad to my ears.

One thing for sure is that my SCXD which has a tendency to sound trebly at times with the treble turned up passed 5, but with this guitar it never sounds trebly in a bad way. I have the pups set low with high e end higher and it sounds good.

I have the 3 tone sunburst with the 4 ply tort pickguard which looks very SRVish.

I would have taken a closer look at the Roadhouse too because it's in the same price range; it also comes with texas specials in all three pup positions, but they only had them with maple necks (not sure if that's standard, but I think so) and although I love the look of nicely tinted maple necks... I prefer the feel and tone of rosewood.

I know that some will say you should just get a standard rather than a Lonestar and put whatever pups you want in it and tint it yourself or whatever, but in my opinion, the Lonestar is a step up from the standard in quality.
~JP~
Quote by The3818919
No Squier, the Korean Made Lite Ash Strat is a fender special edition. They come with a Birdseye Maple Neck, Abalone Inlays, and Seymour Duncan Pickups, though mine came with Fender 57 reissues. They are built rather well, and mine only cost 600

now that i think about i have played one ove those they do sound and play pretty good but they are pretty hard to find too. i don't dig the natural finish body though
Quote by FallsDownStairs
http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Eric-Johnson-Sunburst-Stratocaster_W0QQitemZ330387757624QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item4ceca51a38

$100 more than that $1000 requirement if you want to dish out the money. I own one, best playing and sounding strat I've ever laid hands on (Except for an original '54 my neighbor owns .)

Supposedly the best production strat on the market too, I'd go for it.

wow if i had the money i'd buy that right now but alas i won't for a month or so. but thats a really good price for what i think is the best sounding production strat. is that what they usually go for used?
@jammy i'll definantly look into the roadhouse but not the lonestar. the reason is i already have a "fat strat' in the form of a squier and i don't ever really use the humbucker so i don't think i wuld use the one in the lonestar much.
I'd say look for a used American Deluxe, they're built as good as anything Fender makes outside of the Custom Shop.

I have heard very good things about the MIK Lite Ash Tele, haven't heard much about the Strat.
If you can id say grab a used american. Have you seen this one:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Deluxe-Players-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=511597

This one is pretty badass too: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-American-Special-Mahogany-HSS-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=511165
Its out of your budget but you probally could find one for $1000. There is a use one on MF for $1080
Last edited by Prodigy179 at Dec 16, 2009,
I think guitar center is selling American Standards for 999 in store only
Quote by ghiyath

I would get that and buy a donut with the 1 dollar remaining ...
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Quote by ghiyath

In October they were $994.88 for Fender's October sale; they're back to $1,249.99 now.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Last edited by Kevy Absolution at Dec 16, 2009,
Quote by Julianx23
wow if i had the money i'd buy that right now but alas i won't for a month or so. but thats a really good price for what i think is the best sounding production strat. is that what they usually go for used?

The maple necked versions. I bought mine for $1100 total.
^ why 88 cents, couldnt they just round it ....

Still i would buy a used americant standard strat. Although if u can get a sig model of someone u kinda of like at the same price then buy that.
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Quote by Tatsumaru
^ why 88 cents, couldnt they just round it ....

Still i would buy a used americant standard strat. Although if u can get a sig model of someone u kinda of like at the same price then buy that.

Because economics rule and their are reasons for pricing it like that so that tax is even. I figured everyone knew that.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
I got a MIM Roadhouse strat... (not exactly sure about the name) with texas special pickups, It's one great guitar
I would ignore the American Standards. The American Deluxe models are so much better it's almost unbelievable - look for a second hand but recently made Am Deluxe model if you can. They usually come in at around a grand used and will utterly blow everything else out the water without question so long as you don't get one that's too banged up.

Failing that, I'll second the Roadhouse/Lone Star suggestion. I've got the Lone Star myself and it's a great guitar, though the bridge is a little touchy. Do it up with a graphite nut and a higher quality bridge and you've got a great guitar on your hands, as good as any American Standard Strat I've played. Classic Player are also a good option to look at if you fancied trying the old style soft-V necks.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
actually i really like the soft v neck thats why i was looking at the jimmie Vaughan and the 50's road worn, for the neck.
Quote by Kevy Absolution
Because economics rule and their are reasons for pricing it like that so that tax is even. I figured everyone knew that.

it was more of a joke then a serious question.
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka

Quote by Julianx23
hmm i haven't looked really at the lonestar, it seems like just a mim with texas specials. doesn't really sound like a good deal to me. is there any reason why you think its a good choice?

its one of the deluxe mim lines so it really does have better quality than a run of the mill mim. and the texas specials are great, really diverse. the humbucker is a duncan pearly gates.
Julian, I don't know where you live but Ebay you can find a decent deal on a American strat for under 1k if you use patience, if shipping won't be half way around the world.

Yes you can play metal on a strat I do, at least with a humbucker strat. Get a HSS or HH config strat and it will be useable for a different styles overall.
You could make a fraken Strat from Warmoth parts and a pre-wired pickguard for under a grand.
1999 Fender '69 Thinline Telecaster Reissue
Ibanez TS-9
Vox AC4TV

Last.fm
i got my "used" (you could hardly call it that, three weeks old with plastic still on the pickguard) american standard for $600. best deal i have ever gotten and i love this guitar with a passion.

so try looking for a used american standard, it shouldn't be too hard to find a good deal. i was looking at a two year old american deluxe for $850 before i settled on the standard
2008 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Schecter C-1+
Squier '51 (blonde with black pickguard)
Fender Super Champ XD
I plan on buying a mim standard and putting some lace sensors in it. of course im not sure on what my next guitar will be
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
MIA standard 999 in GC but you can get 15% off if you trade anything in can be cheap pedals ofr something pretty good or same deal american special tried it and loved it might be a good option
The best strat would be an American Standard Highway One Fat Strat. It costs about $799 and has large frets, both single and double-coil pick-ups. Excellent all around guitar.

Ron666
Vg........!!!!!!
Fender Roadhouse Deluxe Strat
Vintage Acoustic
Home-made 18 Watt all valve Marshall clone
Talent: zero (but trying)