I'm in a new band and we literally just started yesterday. It was our first practice. And while we were messing around I came up with something that they liked. It's all power chords on the A string. I think it's in what you call eighth notes? Well we have an intro and verse, but I can't come with anything for the chorus. A rhythm, chord progression, anything. They said they wanted something faster for the chorus, and I agree, cuz if we kept it the same way it's going the songs just going to be dragging on and on. Does anyone have any suggestions?
-You could try varying the strumming pattern for the power chords.

-The chorus probably would be in 16th notes (basically playing your eighth notes twice as fast).

You haven't given much to go on. Have you written a bass part. Have you worked out the drums? Some more info would help.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Yeah I play guitar, bass, drums, piano, cornet and I sing. But in the band I only play guitar, but I'm pretty much telling everyone what to do cuz they're all beginners, except for the drummer. But I'm cool with that. We've got an intro and verse for everyone. That much we have down. But I'm having trouble with how to tie it into the chorus, and like I said even what to play for the chorus. But thanks I'll try to come up with something
An idea would be see what scale the power chords go into, and making a chorus from the notes in the scale.

Again, some more info about the band and the song would help.

What are the chords?
What genre is the song souding like?
How well do you know theory?

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Hmmm I dunno how to describe the band. We all like everything. From Punk to pop, emo to metal, jazz to country, rap to screamo. We aren't picky lol the chords are B to C to E to D. If you wanna hear (but I'm warning you now it sounds bad so just listen to the first few seconds with the guitar) it's up on myspace. The second song.

http://www.myspace.com/dimsband

It doesn't have the intro or some of the other stuff we put in after that was recorded
oh and if you hear something out of tune its the other guitarist. I'm having to teach him
oh and about the music theory thing. I probably do know alot of stuff I just don't know it's called music theory lol I know about the 1-4-5 thing and some scales and other stuff.
Those chords fit into the E Minor scale. The notes are: E F# G A B C D E. You can try using some of those chords. See what works.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
You probably don't need to do anything with the guitar to make it faster. You probably just need to have the vocal melody move faster. The drums playing sixteenths on the hats already drive it pretty good for the verse.

Quote by kh2xiii
Hmmm I dunno how to describe the band. We all like everything. From Punk to pop, emo to metal, jazz to country, rap to screamo.

Well that was nothing like jazz, country, or rap. Its cool if you like that kind of music, but atleast describe yourself as accurately as you can. Listing off most common genres doesn't help.
Last edited by isaac_bandits at Dec 16, 2009,
Well yeah I know THAT wasn't anything like it lol but that's not to say we aren't going to write something like that. But you are right, he only asked about the one song.