Im not entirely sure what the over drive pedal does. I think its one of two things. boosts the signal to the tubes for more overdrive, or it pushes the tubes further for more overdrive.

My question is do you think a malfunctioned overdrive pedal could have caused something to go wrong in my amp? I had a bad monkey recently took a dump. wont work with a power supply or anything. I noticed my amp get horrible worse tone after my pedal died, could be a coincidence or something linked to the pedal. Ive replaced all tubes, so its not a tube problem.

I took my amp to a local place, and just by hearing it and playing on it (didnt want to have him take it in yet) he believes something is wrong in the circuit board. But cant pull out what it was since he couldnt get inside it yet. Keep in mind this happened directly after my pedal went bad. I had flawless tone, my amp has beautiful cleans, now ruined by a static\breakup sound. and my distortion sounds a little weird too.
Very interesting.

Well, I'm not an amp tech but I would suppose that if the amp already had an issue, like dying power tubes or a bad solder joint etc, the extra signal boost could have propelled the illness.

That said, I've never heard of a pedal blowing an amp.

Some answers to these questions might help.

What amp is it?
How old?
What tubes exactly were replaced and what were they replaced with?
Who provided the tubes?
Was a bias needed on the tubes?
Did the Bad Monkey and the amp die at the exact same time?
How did the Bad Monkey die?
Can you explain your power situation and how all of this was hooked up?
Have you tried a battery in your pedal?
Have you tried a different guitar in your amp?
Have you tried your guitar in a different amp?
What do you mean the tech can't get inside your amp?

Can you eliminate ALL grounding issues?

that's all I can think of off the top of my head
What amp is it? B-52 AT112

How old? 2 years old

What tubes exactly were replaced and what were they replaced with? mixed tubes were replaced with groove tubes all around

Who provided the tubes? guitar center

Was a bias needed on the tubes? medium 7?

Did the Bad Monkey and the amp die at the exact same time? Im not sure. the pedal malfunctioned (sent in for warranty) and noticed my amp static sounding after that.
How did the Bad Monkey die? No idea, waiting on digitech's responce when it arrives

Can you explain your power situation and how all of this was hooked up? Amp into surge protector, then guitar-bad monkey-amp through the input.

Have you tried a battery in your pedal? Yes

Have you tried a different guitar in your amp?Yes I have. same situation

Have you tried your guitar in a different amp? Yes I have my guitar is fine

What do you mean the tech can't get inside your amp? I meant that I just took it over for a quick look, didnt leave it with them so they could fully diagnose it. Just got a consensus on what he heard\knew of and what I told him.
off the top of my head these would be my concerns ('cause i'm not there)

you have bad power
Badmonkey is pretty rugged
B52 is average rugged
B52 is 2 yrs old - may need new tubes or an overhaul.
Guitar Center tube availability is suspect imo.
Groove tubes is suspect imo.
'medium 7' in the context of biasing power tubes is way too low!
if medium was describing preamp tubes then OK.

I guess.

what do tubes look like when you power it on now? (no liability held as this is an internet forum)
is it just me or did half that not make any sense. what do you mean by "rugged" like bad and beaten? or tough and unbreakable? I ordered my tubes online, and they are groove tubes, groove tubes get nothing but great reviews.
Quote by ncbrock
is it just me or did half that not make any sense. what do you mean by "rugged" like bad and beaten? or tough and unbreakable? I ordered my tubes online, and they are groove tubes, groove tubes get nothing but great reviews.

you're welcome

PS: I wasn't asking questions in that post, I was making statements trying to help you reduce the potential points of failure. It didn't help that I was drinking I agree that I probably would not have bought Groove Tubes.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Dec 18, 2009,
Quote by acdcrocks0323
^But Groove Tubes aren't good tubes really. They are rebranded tubes marked up to high prices.

I really regret to have put Groove Tubes in my amp.
They are just rebranded Sovtek and my amp just sounds crappy now
Well if they are rebranded sovteks then thats alright, I had sovtek power tubes before and cheap electro harmonix pre amp tubes, and the tone more than pleased me and was fine.

Ill find out what the problem is when i return from my vacation.