Last spring I bought a used Epiphone Doubleneck Sg from ebay, and it was the coolest looking guitar I've ever gotten in the mail \m/(^.^)\m/

It came in some pretty rough shape....

The previous owner had switched the necks(bolt on version), scrapped all the stock electronics except the pups, and installed a new pickguard below the six string(if you look at it as a lefty), and flipped the nuts and strings to make it a lefty.

I put 3 brand new sets of slinkies on it, using 2 normal sets for the 12 string(I was curious about how it would sound), and I recorded a few tracks with the band like that. But the guitar looked awful and cheap like that, so, with the help of my electronically more knowledgeable brother, I planned out a wiring diagram....

This is how I feel this guitar should have been made from the factory...
1. Separate controls for each neck, using a master tone for the six string
2. Six string on top, gives better access and eases playability
3. separate switching jacks for each pup, so that any pup can be plugged in separately and run through it's own effects, but all pups run to one jack when there is no chord in it's personal jack.

So here's the wiring diagram

and here's a photoshopped pic

and I'll upload more when I get time ;]
Quote by genghisgandhi
make the bass more bassy

Quote by grohl1987
You really like input jacks, don't you?

My Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Greg Bennett Acoustic
Epiphone G-1275
Good Lord!
Gear:
Squier Affinity Series Stratocaster
Epiphone G-400
Line 6 Spider
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
BOSS DD-3

"Wish I Had This" Gear:
Guitars- G&L, Gibson, PRS
Amps- Egnater, Bogner
Effects- Fulltone, JHS, Eventide
Here's some more pics :]

Quote by genghisgandhi
make the bass more bassy

Quote by grohl1987

My Gear
Greg Bennett Acoustic
Epiphone G-1275
Over complication is a staple of interesting music ;]
Quote by genghisgandhi
make the bass more bassy

Quote by grohl1987

My Gear
Greg Bennett Acoustic
Epiphone G-1275
what the hell is the point in four jacks?
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
This seems overly ridiculous.

do you run that into 4 different amps into one single cabinet and sculpt your tone so you get the ultimate sex via soundwaves?
Quote by Steve46
thanks alot ice condition!! your the breast!

The best bosom in all of UG.
The four jacks started with an idea I had, start playing on stage, and have the sound pan in a semi circle, I could do that with a delay on the second pickup(not very well tho), so then I started thinking about how I could play a big, in your face kinda riff, and then kick on some crazy effect on the second pup to add even more depth to the sound. Yes it's overly complicated, yes it's not necessary, but that makes it possible to try new things, to push the envelope. What would Stairway to Heaven sounded like if the doubleneck had never been invented? What about prog rock? Idk, I just love the idea of a giant 4-cable umbilical chord coming off my guitar. My initial ideas aside I'm sure I'll find a great use for it :]

Quote by genghisgandhi
make the bass more bassy

Quote by grohl1987

My Gear
Greg Bennett Acoustic
Epiphone G-1275
Thanx, hahaha, actually, I should mention, the multiple jacks idea came straight from a Rickenbacker 360, I saw the stereo output and i always thought it was so cool. So that's when I started thinking about how you could use the multiple outputs...
Quote by genghisgandhi
make the bass more bassy

Quote by grohl1987

My Gear
Greg Bennett Acoustic
Epiphone G-1275
That is unbelieveably unorthodox, but very, very cool.
Member Of The Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians only.

I Play the Bagpipes.

they actually are a pleasant instrument.
I think I would use a jack per neck instead of all four, but I guess once you've done something as insane as that you might as well follow through with it.

That is a really, really cool guitar. PM me if you ever want to sell it.
Hmm, I'll do a video this weekend if I have time. I used it before the mods to do a few vids...
here's the links if you're interested
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B80wDgXAhgk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioS6bywIRo8

This one has some overdubbing :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHP2ITGB-Qs
Quote by genghisgandhi
make the bass more bassy

Quote by grohl1987

My Gear
Greg Bennett Acoustic
Epiphone G-1275
Took the vid down cause I didn't want ppl stealing my riffs :P
Quote by genghisgandhi
make the bass more bassy

Quote by grohl1987

My Gear
Greg Bennett Acoustic
Epiphone G-1275
Last edited by Shaggy Shadric at Jan 31, 2010,
Yay, dragging up old threads! So I was thinking about my doubleneck the other day and it just didn't seem so "One of a kind" anymore...
You know how Angus Young of AC/DC has a signature model? With a maestro tremolo, that he NEVER uses... >.< sorry, that annoys me.
Anywho, in the interest of making this guitar go out of tune, I've decided to add a vibrato! Maybe...unless anybody here talks me out of it lmfao
Thoughts?
Quote by genghisgandhi
make the bass more bassy

Quote by grohl1987

My Gear
Greg Bennett Acoustic
Epiphone G-1275
They have 6- and 12-string bigsby-style trems, let me find the link ...

I think it'd be kind of overkill (more than it is already) though.

EDIT:
Here they are:

6-string

12-string
Quote by Steve46

Last edited by ice condition at Jun 9, 2010,
Here's a photoshop of what it would look like(roughly) with a trem on the 6 string neck.

It appears that the tailpeice is too long and so I'll have to trim it shorter or it will stick past the back of the guitar.
Also, my controls will most likely be in the way of the arm so I've opted to flip the arm bracket lefty style so the arm is above the strings.
Anybody know of a good place to get a Maestro Tremolo? Buying a throback Gibson just to steal the vibrato seems like a waste(and also out of my price range)
Quote by genghisgandhi
make the bass more bassy

Quote by grohl1987

My Gear
Greg Bennett Acoustic
Epiphone G-1275
Last edited by Shaggy Shadric at Jun 9, 2010,
They have 6- and 12-string bigsby-style trems, let me find the link ...

I think it'd be kind of overkill (more than it is already) though.

I'm definately leaning towards a maestro, I love how they look on SGs, thanx for the links tho, i've never seen a 12 string trem lmao
Quote by genghisgandhi
make the bass more bassy

Quote by grohl1987

My Gear
Greg Bennett Acoustic
Epiphone G-1275
Well stairway would have sounded the same on the studio recording if the double neck wasnt invented because it was recorded on an LP with a tele for the solo i beleive...

As far as this is concerned, i like your experimentation.
This would probably almost sound like having a second guitarist playing exactly what you do, assuming you use different amps for each pickup.

You should post some sound samples of this ... I think it'd be really interesting to hear how it sounds.
Quote by Steve46

Quote by ice condition
This would probably almost sound like having a second guitarist playing exactly what you do, assuming you use different amps for each pickup.

It should sound better :] cause I could kick in a phaser or a wah on one pup, and keep the other rollin along, perfect sync, no mess ups...
My initial intention was to devise a way to stand on stage, and have the sound move, from one side, in a semicircle across the back wall to the other side, or have it flip back and fourth, or call responce style, a wall of sound coming from the stage, then the other pup sneaks up on the audience, coming from behind them... some cool stage effects with moving sound and light trickery u know?
I could swing my guitar out like a gun, shoot the sound out, sling it around the audience, boomerang it back around to me...
Anyway, that was some of the ideas buzzing around my head when I started doing this hahaha
Quote by genghisgandhi
make the bass more bassy

Quote by grohl1987

My Gear
Greg Bennett Acoustic
Epiphone G-1275
Last edited by Shaggy Shadric at Jun 9, 2010,
I believe AllParts sells some maestros
I don't need a signature to tell you I don't need a signature!
Your gunna have to spend LOADS on amps if your planning to have one per output.

Although may i add if i had the money for 4 amps it would be a proper cool idea.
Last edited by Down&Out at Jun 10, 2010,
Quote by Down&Out
Your gunna have to spend LOADS on amps if your planning to have one per output.

Although may i add if i had the money for 4 amps it would be a proper cool idea.

Not necessarily, I have a 1979 Peavey Classic 212 I got from Craigslist last year for $130, it has 2 channels and 4 input jacks. Also got a Blackheart little giant last month for $150 that blew my expectations out of the water and then some. Pedals will be a bit expensive, I don't have much of a pedalboard right now :\

My point is I don't need 4 separate amps to get 4 separate tones at once, Anything with moving directional sound tho and yeah, I'll be dishing out plenty of cash for separate amps :,\
Quote by genghisgandhi
make the bass more bassy

Quote by grohl1987

My Gear
Greg Bennett Acoustic
Epiphone G-1275
Last edited by Shaggy Shadric at Jun 10, 2010,
I really like the ability to be running a clean neck pickup and a distorted phased bridge pickup simultaneously.

Im not saying this isn't total overkill, but it could definately be useful.
no sir away a papaya war is on