I recently got a Epiphone LP-100 for my birthday/christmas present, and I was wondering whether or not it has a Nitro cellulose lacquer, the only reason why I care is because i bought a stand that will ruin the finish if it comes in contact with it. I don't feel like risking it, and i've searched online without many results. So that brings me here to ask you. I don't know if it matters but the color is black. It didn't say anything in the box it came in.

Thanks
No it doesn't. That's something that you only get on certain high-end guitars.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
So like Gibson les pauls, etc. would have the nitro cellulose. and what's the difference between the two?
about a grand.

it's a labor intensive process and adds to the price of the guitar.

but die-hard nitro fans, enjoy the feel and tonal attributes it provides.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
^ Aye, it supposedly leaves the guitar more resonant and open sounding...but more importantly, it looks cool as hell when it wears away (such as SRV one etc).
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

my fender's thin skin nitro finish feels like silk.

it's awesome.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

To answer your question No. Epis as well as a lot of guitars low and high end use poly. IMO Nitro s*cks, it doesn't take much to scratch, chip or ruin the finish. Nitro finishes do not age very well this is why you see most older and even some newer guitars with finish cracks and they look like a dry lake bed. I have seen so many Gibsons with marks from stands and even color from the interior of the case bleed into the finish. A lot of people will argue that Nitro lets the wood breath, it gives the guitar better tone blah, blah, blah the tonal difference is barely negligible and nitro finished necks can get very sticky because the oils in your hands reacts with it. I would take a poly finished guitar any time over one finished in nitro and it's not true only high end guitars use it a lot of high end guitars are finished in poly. Poly is a lot more durable and flexible than Nitro the only con to Poly is if you want to refinish a guitar it's very hard to remove.

Back several years ago I had gotten a pretty beat up Gibson Explorer so I sent it to get refinished. Poly was a lot less expensive and the guitar really wasn't collectible so I said OK go with Poly. The guitar sounded 100% better when I got it back. IMO it had a better, deeper tone quality that when it still had the nitro finish. If it didn't ruin the value of Gibsons I would have had some of my other done in Poly.

One of my friends keeps his Epi LP Custom clean by spraying windex on a rag and cleans it with that he's had the Epi for 6 or 7 years and so far it hasn't done anything to the finish. I use Guitar polish myself I'm not that cheap! LOL Light scratches can easily be buffed out which is a plus.

John
^ yeah but nitro is so much cooler.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
^ yeah but nitro is so much cooler.
This is what it all comes down to.

There are so many arguments against nitro - it can't takes knocks and bumps as well, it naturally cracks within a few years, it discolours far quicker, it can be sticky at first... but **** it, it does sound noticably better and a proper, naturally aged nitro guitar looks so much cooler and feels so much better than any poly-finished instrument.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
^ True that. I much prefered a knackered looking guitar over a shiny shiny one.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo