I know nothing about these. Are they active? What styles are they good for?
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Silverburst Epiphone Les Paul Custom
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
The HZ pickups are passive. Most people on here will tell you they're terrible, and if you want EMGs you need to get active ones. I would agree that if you're looking for that active EMG power, you won't get it from these. I've found the HZs, like every other pickups, have their own particular sound. You may find a situation/guitar that they compliment very well. I love them in my ibanez. If you're thinking about them for your Epi, I would look elsewhere. Like I said, they pretty different.

Alexi Laiho uses (used?) them with a custom made boost built into his guitar. His custom EMG set is an HZ with a push-pull pot that activates an EMG-made boost.
They're the budget model EMG. They're passive and pretty much a cash grab so budget model guitars can boast they have EMG pickups. You're better off looking into a set of Irongears if your looking for low budget passive pickups.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
They are horrible, don't get them, I have them on my Jackson and it gives a muddy sound
Gear
Ibanez GSA60
Jackson DXMGT
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest
Ibanez S470 DXQM
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000
Crate Halfstack and Crate 50W Tube Head
Boss MT-2, CH-1, CS-3, NS-2, & Cry Baby
Crate XT65R
I wasn't planning on putting them in any of my guitars, I was just looking at some Jacksons, and I noticed they were EMG HZ. Thanks though.
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Silverburst Epiphone Les Paul Custom
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
I have them in one of my guitars... they sound bad, I prefer the stock pickups in my MH-50 to HZ's.
The new HZ's are bad, the old ones with the exposed pole pieces are good.
They aren't budget pickups either, considering they are about $120 each if you buy them after market.

Alot of noob players assume they are cheap imitations of the actives. They were originally offered as a non active equivilent to the 81/85 set.

I have a set of the old ones, and they rip it up. I like them much better than the active ones and I've fooled a lot of people who tend to listen with their eyes, instead of their ears.
Again, I'm talking about the old version of the HZ, from 8-10 years ago.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Last edited by Van Noord at Dec 16, 2009,