Page 1 of 2
I have learned the first solo from Fade to Black, main riff to Enter Sandman, and the solo from Nothing Else Matters, but I cant get the tone even close what it is supposed to sound like. I have tried messing with the EQ on my amp but it still doesn't sound even close. I have a rage 158 amp, Boss Os-2 distortion/OD and a cheap single coil stratocaster copy. I know it wont sound exact but shouldn't it at least be recognizable? Any recommendations on settings for the pedal/amp, which pickup to use or if I need some other kind of pedal?
When an adult has one imaginary friend it's called insanity. When lots of adults have the same imaginary friend it's called religion.
Gear
Hamer Slammer PAC 3-RM
Fender Sidekick 25 Reverb
Ibanez SR406

GAS
Peavey Tour TKO 115 400W
Id say the guitar is more limiting than the rest... They use active EMG81 pickups lol a tad different from single coils lol.
Scoop the Low and High. Yank off the Mid and you get to the right direction.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

I know they should sound different but I mean it doesn't even sound close to the song, even the covers on Youtube with people using single coils.
Sorry but what does Scoop the Low and High. Yank off the Mids mean?
When an adult has one imaginary friend it's called insanity. When lots of adults have the same imaginary friend it's called religion.
Gear
Hamer Slammer PAC 3-RM
Ibanez SR406

GAS
Peavey Tour TKO 115 400W
Last edited by mrmystic at Dec 16, 2009,
Judging by your gear I doubt you have enough money to even come close to Metallica's tone. I suppose cranked gain and scooped mids might help a little but unless you have a nice wad of cash at your disposal, good luck.
Ok so if I need new gear what would help a new guitar or a better amp? For christmas I have a $650 budget to stay under, so nice guitar or amp
Gear
Hamer Slammer PAC 3-RM
Ibanez SR406

GAS
Peavey Tour TKO 115 400W
^Metallica doesnt scoop their mids though...
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Maybe a Boss HM-3? Scourge eBay for one (they aren't made anymore, so you'll be looking at used, "vintage" models if you can find any).

The Boss MT-2 is pretty atrocious tone-wise, but it'll give you an epic amount of distortion so if you can EQ it well you might be able to get an acceptable sound.
So basically my pedal is not the right kind I need for the tone? Sorry about being slightly retarded at this stuff, just I never really cared for tone until recently since I just wanted to learn...
Gear
Hamer Slammer PAC 3-RM
Ibanez SR406

GAS
Peavey Tour TKO 115 400W
Kirk has a signature series of amps with Randall, I might look into that to see if there is anything interesting.
soak a white explorer in beer and then attach a piece of tape to it and write some witty anti-social phrase on it. then crank a Marshall JCM800 (also soaked in alcohol) and scream angrily about Jumpin' in the Fire, brah!!!

PS: leather spandex with white nike sneakers and no shirt helps. Also, grow some long blonde Jesus locks and perpetually evolving facial hair.
id say get both anew guitar and amp for christmas. You defeintly need humbuckers at least and maybe look into a peavey vypyr i get a good metallica tone for it and i bought it for 100 bucks but you might be able to do better. Kirk & James use ESP so id look into an mh or m series guitar... and you got a pretty close tone imo
Quote by mrmystic
So basically my pedal is not the right kind I need for the tone? Sorry about being slightly retarded at this stuff, just I never really cared for tone until recently since I just wanted to learn...

Actually your pedal's good for boosting amps. You can get a descent tube amp in your price range and boost it if you need to.
Quote by VanTheKraut

Justice?
Well I fit the long blond hair, ever changing facial hair. white nikes and currently the shirtless requirements but not the $2000 amp or the alcohol to waste on soaking my guitar/amp. Lol
But more seriously a friend told me I just need a Wah Wah since about 90% of Kirk's sound comes from it. Are they really necessary or is it just my friend trying to talk about something he doesnt understand? Also even though I have a tube amp I need a different kind? Could I just replace the tubes or something cheap like that?
Gear
Hamer Slammer PAC 3-RM
Ibanez SR406

GAS
Peavey Tour TKO 115 400W
Last edited by mrmystic at Dec 16, 2009,
Quote by mrmystic
Well I fit the long blond hair, ever changing facial hair. white nikes and currently the shirtless requirements but not the $2000 amp or the alcohol to waste on soaking my guitar/amp. Lol
But more seriously a friend told me I just need a Wah Wah since about 90% of Kirk's sound comes from it. Are they really necessary or is it just my friend trying to talk about something he doesnt understand? Also even though I have a tube amp I need a different kind? Could I just replace the tubes or something cheap like that?

my acerbic and rapier wit doesn't make the new kids cry anymore

Anyway... a good amount of Kirk's thick tone comes form his abusive wah pedal antics, yes. And no, you cannot just change the tubes in your amp. Every amp is designed with a certain bias towards certain tubes, and unless you have the option of switching the bias back and forth (typically giving you the option to choose between 6L6 and EL34 tubes) you NEVER EVER want to change the type of tube you're using. dangerous and stupid on so many levels. It's like playing hot potato with a sea-mine (poor Jim..)
Quote by mrmystic

If your friend is serious, and he was not just talking about the Ecstasy of Gold, he's an idiot. Kirk absolutely does overuse the wah in alot of solos and fills, but that has nothing to do with his rhythm tone. If you want my advice: Find a tone that you like out of your amp and work on getting a new guitar and developing your skills. Don't worry about sounding exactly like someone. Don't get me wrong though, I do understand that you appreciate someone's tone and wish to replicate it. Just don't get caught up in it.
Quote by VanTheKraut

Yeah they did, bra. Up until the black album there were nearly no mids in james's sound. then on BA they added some mids (at bob rock's suggestion.) still scooped then, just less scooped

source is Guitar World interview
If your friend is serious, and he was not just talking about the Ecstasy of Gold, he's an idiot. Kirk absolutely does overuse the wah in alot of solos and fills, but that has nothing to do with his rhythm tone. If you want my advice: Find a tone that you like out of your amp and work on getting a new guitar and developing your skills. Don't worry about sounding exactly like someone. Don't get me wrong though, I do understand that you appreciate someone's tone and wish to replicate it. Just don't get caught up in it.

Throughout entire wall-o-text, I found one thing worth mentioning. Kirk plays lead.
Quote by jax5150
Yeah they did, bra. Up until the black album there were nearly no mids in james's sound. then on BA they added some mids (at bob rock's suggestion.) still scooped then, just less scooped

source is Guitar World interview

Yeah, I wasn't going to say anything because that guy's statement was just uninformed as anything I've seen posted for awhile. If I had to pick an example of a band that scooped their mids, there's no doubt in my mind that I would have to say Metallica.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Throughout entire wall-o-text, I found one thing worth mentioning. Kirk plays lead.
Hey dumbass, he plays lead, but the entire song is not a solo. I cannot believe that you are so ignorant. He doubles or harmonizes with the rhythm guitar for most of the song, most of the time.
Quote by what??
Hey dumbass, he plays lead, but the entire song is not a solo. I cannot believe that you are so ignorant. He doubles or harmonizes with the rhythm guitar for most of the song, most of the time.

That's great and all, but to classify him as a rhythm guitarist is like calling Lars Ulrich a drummer...oh wait...

i hate lars
Lol on the no scooped mids. Actually there is mids on KEA, but everything else up to BA there is very little.

Just because someone plays lead, dosen't they stand there doing nothing until the solo comes. He still plays lots of rhythm parts with james, alot of the times the same thing as james.

Now, TS, I'd say the cheapest way to get a decent metallica tone is but a preloaded Hss pickguard if your strat copy is routed for hss, swap it on, but a peavey vypyr 15 and eq it right. Won't get you exact but close enough to recognise.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']That's great and all, but to classify him as a rhythm guitarist is like calling Lars Ulrich a drummer...oh wait...

i hate lars

I never called him the rhythm guitarist. I mentioned that the tone he uses during the rhythm parts of the songs - those without a lead or solo over them - does not use the wah much or at all. You are dipshit who just wants to pick a fight with someone over the internet. You are wrong. Drop it.
Quote by what??
I never called him the rhythm guitarist. I mentioned that the tone he uses during the rhythm parts of the songs - those without a lead or solo over them - does not use the wah much or at all. You are dipshit who just wants to pick a fight with someone over the internet. You are wrong. Drop it.

Actually, I'm just an idiot w ho wants to push the limits of Carmel's patience to see just how far I can go before I'm banned for life nothing personal, kid.
Is there anyway to know if your guitar is routed for a HSS? Hamer doesnt even make a guitar like mine anymore, and I have yet to find this guitar on the internet even... Why did my parents have to buy me this thing so long ago....
Gear
Hamer Slammer PAC 3-RM
Ibanez SR406

GAS
Peavey Tour TKO 115 400W
I would guess that the easiest way would be to unscrew the pickguard and check to see if the hole routed for the bridge pickup is large enough to accept a humbucker. Unless you really like your guitar, I would probably save the cash on one of those pre-wired pickguards and get a different guitar.
Quote by mrmystic
Also even though I have a tube amp I need a different kind? Could I just replace the tubes or something cheap like that?

Your peavey rage 158 is a tube amp?
Umm, pretty sure it is... says transtube on it and all the reviews of it show it as a tube amp so unless I am dumber than I thought it must be...
Gear
Hamer Slammer PAC 3-RM
Ibanez SR406

GAS
Peavey Tour TKO 115 400W
Quote by mrmystic
Umm, pretty sure it is... says transtube on it and all the reviews of it show it as a tube amp so unless I am dumber than I thought it must be...

I got the same amp, and it's no tube.
Setup:
Ibanez GRG170DX
- D'Addario 9s
Squier Stratocaster
- D'Addario 11s
Kona Cutaway Acoustic
- D'Addario 12s
Kona K35 Amp
Rocktron Metal Planet Distortion Pedal
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
My reccomendation:

Some sort of ESP LTD in the shape that you like (Kirk and James both use ESP's)
Maybe a 15 or 30 watt amp that carries a good amount of distortion (somebodysaid randall)
I use a BOSS metal zone pedal to get some metallica tone. The pedal isnt that good really, but im sure you can rip out some sort of metallica tone in there somehow. Hopefully, this doesnt run you over your budget.
FOR SALE, PM me offers!:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifer - 9/10 Condition
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cabinet - 9/10 Condition
Jerry Cantrell Wah - 10/10
Dimebag Wah - 9/10

7-STRING/ERG LEGION.
Oh, and a wah isnt necessary unless you want to play leads similar to kirks solos. If your more of a james hetfield, stick to lots of riffage and consistency in your rhythm. Don't forget to research whatever you plan on buying too...one of the worst things about buying gear is not knowing if your going to like it a month later, or 5 months later. hope this helped man.
FOR SALE, PM me offers!:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifer - 9/10 Condition
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cabinet - 9/10 Condition
Jerry Cantrell Wah - 10/10
Dimebag Wah - 9/10

7-STRING/ERG LEGION.
Quote by what??

I laughed at this post pretty hard.
Calm down.
Kirk doesn't even play rhythm parts in the studio, so you're the wrong one. He only plays fills and solos in the studio, and learns the rhythm parts for the tours.

Quote by what??
If your friend is serious, and he was not just talking about the Ecstasy of Gold, he's an idiot. Kirk absolutely does overuse the wah in alot of solos and fills, but that has nothing to do with his rhythm tone.

While Kirk really does use a lot of wah (which we can finally blame on someone. Thank you, Gary Moore), he didn't play the leads on The Ecstasy of Gold. That was James raping a Crybaby, actually. Kirk played all of the rhythm on that, which is the only Metallica track he has recorded rhythm parts on, excluding the Load through St. Anger era.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Put your pedal with your lows and highs boosted with the highs boosted most and the mids turn to maybe 4. (They may scoop more but I think it sounds better around 5 or 6) Your guitar will limit you but the EQ should help. Use a good amount of gain and use the bridge pickup or a combo involving the bridge.

EDIT: And yes, Hetfield does all rhythm recording on about 95% of their music.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Ok so my best bet would be a Randall Amp and ESP guitar. Do I need like a F-401 or would a f-200 be fine? Also Anyone have experience with the F series? I like how they play but the same friend who claims Kirk rapes his cry baby said they suck.
Gear
Hamer Slammer PAC 3-RM
Ibanez SR406

GAS
Peavey Tour TKO 115 400W
Please for jesus' sakes

The first thing people say is scoop mids and crank gain.

I've you've ever listened well to the guitar tracks on their own (easily found on youtube)
you notice that james hetfield and hammet do not use a lot of gain at all. I'd skip the mids at a neutral point as well, not scooped. they may scoop their mids for recording, but those guitars are double tracked and post EQ'd a lot.
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']soak a white explorer in beer and then attach a piece of tape to it and write some witty anti-social phrase on it. then crank a Marshall JCM800 (also soaked in alcohol) and scream angrily about Jumpin' in the Fire, brah!!!

PS: leather spandex with white nike sneakers and no shirt helps. Also, grow some long blonde Jesus locks and perpetually evolving facial hair.

LMAO

winnAr!
Quote by Justice4AllOne
I laughed at this post pretty hard.
Calm down.
Kirk doesn't even play rhythm parts in the studio, so you're the wrong one. He only plays fills and solos in the studio, and learns the rhythm parts for the tours.

While Kirk really does use a lot of wah (which we can finally blame on someone. Thank you, Gary Moore), he didn't play the leads on The Ecstasy of Gold. That was James raping a Crybaby, actually. Kirk played all of the rhythm on that, which is the only Metallica track he has recorded rhythm parts on, excluding the Load through St. Anger era.

I love you, man. Where've you been?

Quote by potatohead_33
LMAO

winnAr!

thank ya's
try finding your own tone/thread.
or you could go emg loaded guitar into a mesa or diezel amp.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33