So I was thinking and i decided that the music that i write doesn't suit a full band situation so i'm just gonna go down the folk road. What exactly should i do for like shows and stuff? there is a very large alternative/pop-punk scene where i live. should i just do open mic nights and stuff and try to get a following? Help.
Rigz.
SX Furrian
Eastwood Mandocaster
Bugera v55
DigiTech DL8
Boss BD-2
Dean Markley Tuner
Ebow

Gear Hitlist:
2x12 Cab
ya man just go out and play in whatever scene you have available. at least there are places to play and people that will be at the bars/halls or whatever. Try to get on a bill with some bands that are into your music. you have to network and meet bands. Its cool to change it up and play some mellow music between some faster bands. Just remember that as much as your doing it for yourself, your also doing it to entertain so you have to appeal to what the people dig. learn some acoustic pop punk/alt songs that you can do on your own to get the crowds going. but ya man, just find a way to get some gigs with a few bands, **** open mic nights unless you know theres a lot of people there. i dunno, just some advice. good luck
Quote by jinjan29
What are your goals as a musician?

To be able to do this for a living.
Mainly i belive i am asking is how does a solo act start out?
Rigz.
SX Furrian
Eastwood Mandocaster
Bugera v55
DigiTech DL8
Boss BD-2
Dean Markley Tuner
Ebow

Gear Hitlist:
2x12 Cab
Quote by zeminion
To be able to do this for a living.
Mainly i belive i am asking is how does a solo act start out?

you want to do this for a living, but are you talking about making it as a pop act or just doing it at home doing whatever?
most solo artists still have a band backing them. playing totally alone will limit your venue options, as well as your audience. even very famous solo players like tommy emmanuel and al dimeola play with others.

except at coffee houses, i rarely if ever have seem a lone person doing any kind of rock music alone. i never see lone punk or pop people playing, and in my experience having at least 2 people on a stage means more energy and interplay with the audience.

besides doing what shows you can as a solo act, your best bet might be to work youtube and myspace hard to get a following.
I never said I'm playing pop-punk. I said that the bands AROUND me are. thus my problem because i am different.
Rigz.
SX Furrian
Eastwood Mandocaster
Bugera v55
DigiTech DL8
Boss BD-2
Dean Markley Tuner
Ebow

Gear Hitlist:
2x12 Cab
I know where your coming from with the songs u write won't suit a band, i've wrote stuff in the past and the band i was playing with at the time, either didn't understand how the song was to sound and performed overkill on it or the song was not the general type of song we performed at the time. Check for a "musician collective" its like minded people who get together to help each other out, finding venues etc.
Open mic sessions are good, we have a few local venues that have them they also run acoustic jam nights this is great for meeting other musicians and swapping ideas.