So, I've had this guitar for little over 2 years, its a ESP LTD MV-200, and the bridge humbucker (still the ones that came with it, duncan design HB-102B) doesn't pick up any sound while my neck SC still works (its the only thing i can use lol).

I don't know much about guitar electronics, so If you need any more information, tell me exactly what you need.

What my question(s) are What could be the problem? I've looked at the wirings and everything seems to be connected to something, but the humbucker (got it as a gift from mom exbf) never fully worked, it was always dampened and weaker than the SC. The switch seems to work (is produces sound when in the up(neck) middle (both) but not the down (humbucker) ) so i don't think its that. If there is something wrong, can i fix it? Or should i just buy a new set of pickups? (don't really have the money for that)

If i have to buy new ones, would it be more worthwhile to buy a peavy amp first then get the pickup later, or pickup first (though i have no amp atm, just a pc)
Its the sins you do that make us who we are, but we still go to hell for them.
Hmm....

1. Either the winding in the pickups have been damaged; or
2. The pickup selector is faulty for just the bridge position; or
3. One of the hook up cables have broke.

Have you ever experience sound cutting in and out while playing? If no that rules out number 3.

Right now when the pup selector switch is in the middle position, does it sound similar to the neck position? If yes, then your bridge bucker might be broke. If no, then your pickup selector is buggered.

Do you have a soldering iron and one of those thingamajings... the one that tests the voltage or current through a connection... a voltmeter I think... but the name escapes me right now.

If the pup is buggered, you'd need to change it... get a GFS pickup or an Iron Gear pickup... both are pups on the cheap.

The GFS would be good if you are in the states, but is more of a stop gap measure... I don't particularly like the tone.

If you are in the UK or Europe, the Iron Gears are better bets. I find them to sound better than GFS.

I think you should be able to get a humbucker for less than US$50 from either maker... its not too expensive.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
there is only really 1 thing that can cause a pickup to not work and that is a break in the winding.

but if that happened, you wouldn't be getting any signal at all.
Quote by ragingkitty
Hmm....

1. Either the winding in the pickups have been damaged; or
2. The pickup selector is faulty for just the bridge position; or
3. One of the hook up cables have broke.

Have you ever experience sound cutting in and out while playing? If no that rules out number 3.

Right now when the pup selector switch is in the middle position, does it sound similar to the neck position? If yes, then your bridge bucker might be broke. If no, then your pickup selector is buggered.

Thanks- I did (when it used to work a little) cut out and what not. I always assumed it was my amp, but now that i think about it, it couldn't have been because it happened on 3 separate amps.

When the pickup selector is in the middle position it does make the neck pickup sounds.
Quote by BloodShotString
Thanks- I did (when it used to work a little) cut out and what not. I always assumed it was my amp, but now that i think about it, it couldn't have been because it happened on 3 separate amps.

When the pickup selector is in the middle position it does make the neck pickup sounds.

So now just go check all the hook up cables for kinks...
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
I had a very similar situation to this and the result was a faulty 'cold' solder joint. Resolder. Fixed.

You can use a multimeter (voltmeter that kitty suggested) and measure you pickups output like this: (this is the end of the cable that normally goes into the amp.)

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Dec 17, 2009,
I'd like to report i fixed it, thanks to ya'lls help of getting me to look at the wiring again. it was not even connected to my 3 way switch, OR the tone, in fact, only the ground wire was attached to anything. So i soldered it all in and it seems to work fine now :3.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
You can use a multimeter (voltmeter that kitty suggested) and measure you pickups output like this: (this is the end of the cable that normally goes into the amp.)

THAT'S THE ONE! Somehow it just escaped me as to what it was called.

Quote by BloodShotString
I'd like to report i fixed it, thanks to ya'lls help of getting me to look at the wiring again. it was not even connected to my 3 way switch, OR the tone, in fact, only the ground wire was attached to anything. So i soldered it all in and it seems to work fine now :3.

Hm... talk about shoddy work.

It didn't even strike me that a company could miss that out so badly.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Well its roughly 5 years old, probably more, and the previous owner (moms exbf) didn't take to much caer of it, thats how i ended up with it. So i almost dought it was the company, when i got it, the back had already been unscrewed (missing a screw, and one was stripped) so for all i know, he might have screwed with it. lol But all that matters is its fixed, and i can concentrate on getting my amps lol
Congrats then...

btw... wahhhht amp?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
most likely Peavy vyper, i found a 30w at a pawnshop for 125$ so i'm gonna try that one out.