The other day I picked up a Peavey XXX. It is the 40 watt version. I have only played through it a couple times so far, but it has exactly the sound I was looking for. I play a lot of modern rock like Breaking Benjamin, Disturbed, 3 Days Grace, Evans Blue, etc. I usually play rhythm with really low tuning and heavy distortion. Most of the music I play is down tuned at least 2 steps. This amp has plenty of gain from me. I don't even need a distortion pedal. I really like the thick, heavy distortion a tube amp can produce. It doesn't sound flat and synthetic, like the solid state amps I had previously. I started with a Line 6 Spider III 30, then a Peavey Vypyr 75, then a Peavey Tube Vypyr 60. The Tube Vypyr was the best of the bunch and a great amp, but I really wish they had used tubes in the distortion circuit as well. Sometimes I will play lighter music like Blue October or 3 Doors down. I am not a clean purist, but the clean channel on this amp sounds plenty good for me, despite what I have heard others say. Right now I have 6L6 tubes in it. The individual I purchased it from also threw in some GTE34LS tubes, which I have yet to try. I don't really know the difference as true tube amps are new to me. For the time being I am really enjoying this thing. 40 tube watts is plenty loud for me as I only play at home. I have yet to turn this thing past half volume. The best part is I was able to pick this thing up in immaculate condition for less than the price of a new Tube Vypyr.
Ihor

<current gear>
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40
Boss NS-2, TU-2, MT-2, DS-1, SD-1
Cool story bro, If you want a hnad! then post a pic
amps
Vox Ac 30 (main)
Fender Supersonic with Krank Krankenstien 4x12
OR 50 with 4 x 12
Gassing for ibanes airplane flanger
Quote by metalheadblues
I know Jeff Loomis used the XXX so it must be good
This is new to me i never knew it had a 40 watt version
Gunna check it out

Me neither. I only saw the larger 120 watt version, then came across this on Ebay. Its the perfect size for me with plenty of power.
Ihor

<current gear>
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40
Ihor

<current gear>
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40
lmao, win was just messing with ya I'm sure, but HNAD, looks sexy.
HNAD man! The XXX is a sweet amp
my band

ESP LTD Viper 400
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Squier Fat Strat

Peavey EVH 5150
Peavey XXX Head
Roland Cube 30
Carvin 4x12 Cab
B-52 4x12 Cab

Boss GE-7
Boss NS-2
EH Big Muff Pi (Russian)
Hey silver93.........I knew it was coming.

I'm glad you like it. So does the Vypyr 60 get returned or how does that work?

EL34 will give you more mids and be a bit more British sounding.
6L6s will give you more scooped and be a bit more American sounding.

If you are happy, no need to change anything.

HNAD (again)

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Hey silver93.........I knew it was coming.

I'm glad you like it. So does the Vypyr 60 get returned or how does that work?

EL34 will give you more mids and be a bit more British sounding.
6L6s will give you more scooped and be a bit more American sounding.

If you are happy, no need to change anything.

HNAD (again)

Yes I returned the Tube Vypyr. It was a good amp, but just not the sound I wanted and I don't care for all the features. If I wanted to play a large variety of music with just 1 amp, I can see where the Vypyr would work well. The solid-state distortion just killed it. I would leave it on the clean Twn setting most of the time and just use my pedals. Also pissed me off that I would have to spend another $100-200 just to get a footswitch so that really doesn't make it a great deal anymore. Its funny how nice the employees are at Guitar Center when you buy something, and how rude they come off when you return it. If they have a problem, they shouldn't give a 30 day satisfaction guarantee. I am happy with the 6L6 tubes. Might try the others just for the hell of it.
Ihor

<current gear>
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40
Last edited by silver93t at Dec 16, 2009,
Sounds good.

Yeah, if you return something then 'I think' the commission gets subtracted.

I think you are pretty spot on. Sometimes pure preamp tube disti is desirable. I'm glad you got a chance to make this comparison. If you are happy with the 6L6s then focus on the preamp tubes and speaker now. Maybe.
I have that amp, before you change tubes to el34, you may want to consider this.

I changed mine a nice while ago now and about 2 weeks after I blew a resistor. Got it fixed for 40 bucks, a week later same resitor blew, so this time after doing a bit of research I got the tech to install a 1k 5w resistor and since its been fine.

I love this amp though. I prefer th eelectro harmonix preamp tubes in v2 and v3 I put a jj12ax7 in v1 and a jj 12ax7 for v4 as well.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
^seems abnormal to blow resistors like that.

Did your tech give you any info as to why?

It seems those values could have been validated fairly easily. I'm not an amp tech tho.

silver93 - Didn't you say that you were going to do a back to back comparison?
After doing research, peavey xxx's are known to have problems when using el34, something about the plate voltage being higher with el34 and causing screen grid resistors to blow.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^seems abnormal to blow resistors like that.

Did your tech give you any info as to why?

It seems those values could have been validated fairly easily. I'm not an amp tech tho.

silver93 - Didn't you say that you were going to do a back to back comparison?

Yea I played them both one after the other. The Vypyr has a larger variety of tones and bells/whistles, but I just don't care for them. I don't record to my computer and don't need to run music through the amp. If I play along with a song I will just play it through my pc, which has a decent speaker setup. I didn't like how the volume for each preset was so different. I had to edit each one to get them even and it took a considerable amount of time. Purists may prefer some of the cleaner amp models on the Vypyr. Most of the stuff I play is distorted so it is not important to me. The cleans on the Tube Vypyr were pretty good. Definitely comparable if not slightly better than the XXX. The two 6L6 tubes they added over the solid-state version seemed to really give the clean tones more depth. I just didn't like the solid-state distortion. It sounded flat to me. Better than most other solid-state amps I tried, but not what I was looking for. Peavey and other manufacturers claim that their trans tube or whatever circuitry responds like a tube amp. It does to some degree, but its not the same. Withing minutes of playing the XXX I could tell the difference. How I strike the strings really affects the sound. The XXX model on the Vypyr kind of sounds like a real XXX, but its not the same. It just doesn't seem to have the raw power if that makes sense. So basically the Tube Vypyr is a very good modeling amp for the price. The sound quality is far superior to the solid state version and it is very versatile if you need one amp to play different types of music. But for what I play I prefer the real XXX. If it wasn't the holidays and I wasn't in the middle of a move, I would have kept both.
Ihor

<current gear>
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40
Quote by silver93t
Review.

Cool.

I guess I would say that that seems very accurate. No disagreements from me. I too think the Vypyr 60 benefits in the cleans and basic rock stuff. Blues too really.

I think the Vypyr 60 I played at GC had been pre-configured because when I switched from XXX to JSX to 6505 to Krank it was a very gradual expected transition. Not perfect, But, sounded decent for what it was trying to do.

Personally, I am a huge fan of preamp tubes - so doing anything different is new to me.
Quote by JoePerry4life
After doing research, peavey xxx's are known to have problems when using el34, something about the plate voltage being higher with el34 and causing screen grid resistors to blow.

Yeah Doug at Eurotubes explains it here

http://www.eurotubes.com/euro-ka.htm
Congratz....Nice amp's for sure!!
Where would you hook up a noise gate with the xxx? Right now I just have it between the guitar and amp. Could it be put in the fx loop?
Ihor

<current gear>
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40
I'll have to try that. Got some more play time on it this evening., I am really enjoying this amp.
Ihor

<current gear>
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40
that explaination of why the certain tubes don't work is really really interesting. and a 5150 w/ kt88's and e34l's?!?!

anyway, hnad!
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
ooh, a tiny XXX combo! Didn't know those existed. I've been looking around for a XXX on the cheap for a while now. Sounds like it would be the perfect head for my cover band efforts.

HNAD!
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
I didn't know they existed either until recently. Don't like the size fool you. This thing is LOUD. Look around on ebay or craigslist.
Ihor

<current gear>
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40
I had a Super 40 kicka$$ little amps!! A V30 sounds really Good!!!