Ok, ive tried about every string out there and I hate all of the ones ive tried. The thing that REALLY bugs me on most of the strings ive tried is when i slide my fingers over the lower strings the wound strings make a picksliding noise. Its really annoying. Ive tried about all d'addario's crap. I just bought some $13 EXP's and they are junk. Had some regular d'addario phospher bronze strings they are junk. Tried some ernie ball's and dont like them. I really dont know what to get. Ive heard some alright things about elixers but theres no way im paying $17 for them.
The funny thing is I like ANY electric strings. as long as they are the right guage il play them. They all feel the same to me and dong give me problems.
Elixers really do solve this problem. They're amazingly smooth to play...

EDIT: By Elixer, I mean Elixer Nanoweb lights. I've heard that polywebs cut down on the sliding sound even more, but the coating has a tendency of flaking all over your guitar.
Last edited by pcorey at Dec 16, 2009,
Personally, I don't mind the sound. It comes with acoustic playing and gives your music a bit of character.

But if you hate it that much, I've heard that a type of Elixer's strings cut down on the sliding noise. Other than that, I think you'll just have to learn to deal with it.
D'Addario EXPs are about as good a string as you can get. No brand of strings is squeak-less. The only way to avoid it is to improve your playing.

Quote by ncbrock
They all feel the same to me

That's because most strings are, essentially.

Edit: And don't get the Elixirs. They won't solve the problem.

Edit 2: Your electric strings squeak too, but the sound is much less audible through pickups.
Last edited by GC Shred Off at Dec 16, 2009,
it happens to me sometimes.try lifting your fingers away from the strings like lightly touching them when you slide...i use d addario light 10.'s
Very Orange CARVIN DC 700
PRS SE Custom - crunch lab&PAF pro
Ibanez GRX40 - modified
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ 2x12 cab

Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice
Try some Elixers. They are more expensive but I think they're worth it. Less string noise is the first thing I noticed when I tried them for the first time.
the best thing to do would be to practice picking your fingers up off the strings more. i don't think any strings will solve the noise simply because any wound string will cause that.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
You can't stop string noise.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by ncbrock
I've heard some alright things about Elixers but theres no way im paying $17 for them.

Like Cap said there is no way to get rid of that God awful noise, but Elixers really do help. Seventeen dollers for them may seem high but I have had them last almost 3 times longer than other strings i've tried. The polys gets rid of the noise better than the nanos, but the coating peals off so...

eDit: Some companys make a "string lube" that is suppost to get rid of it.
Last edited by redneckrebel at Dec 17, 2009,
Get those elixers in bulk then if the price is so bad. Try lifting your fingers when you slide. Maybe put on some gloves when you play.
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
├─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬┤
├┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┤
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
I've always found the noise rather charming.
The Mariachi Player of the Church of Zeppelinism. PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Quote by soulfly_freak
men were given a brain and a penis, and only enough blood to use one at a time...

Member #2 of Rory Gallagher Fan Club PM dazzler16 to Join
brush your fingers against your forehead or nose before you play. The oil will help reduce the noise. Some classical guitarists do that. Christopher Parkening would require to have water before a performance so he could soak his hand before he played, and he had no string squeaks.
Quote by clindage
Personally, I don't mind the sound. It comes with acoustic playing and gives your music a bit of character.

But if you hate it that much, I've heard that a type of Elixer's strings cut down on the sliding noise. Other than that, I think you'll just have to learn to deal with it.

this
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
The only way you can make that annoying sliding noise go away is become a BETTER player.

Loosen your grip. relax your fingers, don't hold the string down the entire time. If you gotta move it, just lift your fingers off the string like everyone else said. It helps a tone.

It doesn't matter how good your gear is, or how good your strings are, or how good your amp is, it wont make you play better. Only you can do that.
Fire it up, let the engines roll!
It's time to burn it down!
Keep bleeding on till the day you die!
Forever love it loud, yeah!
Quote by whocares09
brush your fingers against your forehead or nose before you play. The oil will help reduce the noise.

That's gross, man.
Last edited by GC Shred Off at Dec 17, 2009,
Quote by GC Shred Off
D'Addario EXPs are about as good a string as you can get. No brand of strings is squeak-less. The only way to avoid it is to improve your playing.

That's because most strings are, essentially.

Edit: And don't get the Elixirs. They won't solve the problem.

Edit 2: Your electric strings squeak too, but the sound is much less audible through pickups.

This, I've found that out of all the Acoustic coated string that D'Addirio EXP are the best for your money.

Your never going to get rid of string squeak, even professional players can't help it sometimes, its just a fact of playing acoustic guitar. All you can do is improve your playing, and pratice pratice pratice pratice pratice pratice pratice pratice pratice.
Quote by whocares09
brush your fingers against your forehead or nose before you play. The oil will help reduce the noise. Some classical guitarists do that. Christopher Parkening would require to have water before a performance so he could soak his hand before he played, and he had no string squeaks.

That's not an issue with classical guitar because they have nylon strings. you'd rust the crap out of steel strings.
Equipment:

Quote by captivate
That's not an issue with classical guitar because they have nylon strings. you'd rust the crap out of steel strings.

And if you didn't have any rust from it, you should harvest your oil and sell it to people for tons of money.
┌─┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬──┬─┐
Ultimate Guitar Set Up Q&A Thread─┤
├┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┴┬─┤
└─┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴──┴─┘
Quote by ext1jdh
Grow up. String noise is a fact of life.

thats real mature.
Im sure i could improve my playing, but thats not the question here. I HAVE played acoustics with strings that did not make a noise. I didnt ask the person what they had on there or anything. Litterally these strings slow me down, the strings are annoying. The noise is really noticeable too, and does not add character just annoying buzz. And 99% of the time im sliding lightly, Ever since I started playing electric 5 years ago I didnt want it to become a habbit of sliding, so I dont slide my fingers. Even touching the strings lightly its a god forsaken noise.

A local guy reccomended SIT Silencers he says they are the best for not having much noise. any word?

Quote by obeythepenguin
What kind of guitar do you have? And have you had it set up?

Alvarez PD410C and yes it is setup, that does not have to anything with string noise.
Last edited by ncbrock at Dec 17, 2009,
Try Finger Ease. It's a string lubricant that helps to reduce string squeak. Acoustic strings are just more prone to the squeak because of the larger windings around the string.
Equipment:

Quote by captivate

the lower three strings on a classical are wound with a nylon core. String noise is still an issue.
Kind of forgot about this thread, but I got some SIT silencers and they are exactly what I was looking for.