I've been trying to find a 4x12 Cab with Vintage 30's. Been looking at a lot of different cabinets and they range in price of course. I have a Bugera cab and was thinking about maybe just buying the Vintage 30's and throwing them in there.

How much difference is there between cabinets with the same speakers?
Depends on the cabs, the wood in my experience doesn't make too much of a diff except at high volumes, what I find is most different is when the cab has struts or when it's slant versus straight. These aren't negative differences usually, pricier cabs are usually only pricier because they are vintage or because of the speakers inside them.

A marshall 1960A is a highly sought after cab and is pretty pricey even used (though I've seen em go for 300), it is not better then say a line 6 cab, just sounds different (a lot deeper because of the wood density).

I personally would take a line 6 cab with v30s over a marshall 1960A with stock JCM2000DSL marshall speakers.
Quote by Plexi81
Depends on the cabs, the wood in my experience doesn't make too much of a diff except at high volumes, what I find is most different is when the cab has struts or when it's slant versus straight. These aren't negative differences usually, pricier cabs are usually only pricier because they are vintage or because of the speakers inside them.

A marshall 1960A is a highly sought after cab and is pretty pricey even used (though I've seen em go for 300), it is not better then say a line 6 cab, just sounds different (a lot deeper because of the wood density).

I personally would take a line 6 cab with v30s over a marshall 1960A with stock JCM2000DSL marshall speakers.

Wood definitely plays a huge role in the tone that a cab can offer. Different woods (and different plies of the same wood) resonate differently and offer different tonal properties. Also, the cab's size, dovetails, etc all play a role in the tone a cab can offer.

A 1960a cab isn't really that highly sought after, its just the most common cab that Marshall produces. Also, they have horrible resale value and can be found dirt cheap on the used market.

The whole "I'd take a cheap cab with good speakers over a good cab with decent speakers" isn't the best way to go. A poorly built cab can ruin the tonal properties of good speakers.

TS: Rule of thumb - don't cheap out when it comes to your cab because its just as important to your tone as the amp itself.
I was thinking about selling my Bugera cab, then buying an Avatar 4x12. But if there's really not a difference then I figured putting in those V30's would be just as good.
Quote by anibawl
I was thinking about selling my Bugera cab, then buying an Avatar 4x12. But if there's really not a difference then I figured putting in those V30's would be just as good.

There is a difference. I don't know the specs of the Bugera cab vs. an Avatar cab, but different cabs will alter your tone even if they have the same speakers in them.
So will whichever I want depend on personal preference, or would one have any significantly more TRUE sound of the speakers than the other?
my friend keeps telling me the "only" difference in cabs is the speakers and the brand on it. this topic proves hes retarded.
1979 YEAR OF THE HURRICANE BABY!
GSP Rush

GEAR (What I am currently using)
Guitar
Dimebag Darrell Signature ML
Amp
Peavey 5150 II
Cab
Orange PPC 412
Pedal(s)
Ibanez TS9 TubeScreamer
ISP Decimator
Quote by anibawl
So will whichever I want depend on personal preference, or would one have any significantly more TRUE sound of the speakers than the other?

Well at the end of the day it basically comes down to personal preference - what I may think sounds terrible, you may think sounds amazing. Tone is a very subjective topic.
i have heard a Bugera cab with V30s in it before, and to be honest it sounds better then the stock 1960A cab that he has to. the Bugera cabs are not that bad. decent wood, decent construction. it sounded pretty damn good imo. the Avatar cabs are damn good cabs as well. also if you are going to just do a speaker swap in your bugera cab with V30s, check out Warehouse Guitar speakers man. they are a growing speaker company that makes their version of Celestion speakers. imo there Veteren 30 speakers(Vintage 30) sound way better then the celstions, and there $69 a pop..damn good price. i bought 2 Veteren 30s and 2 of their Et65s(Celestion G12-65) and run them in a X pattern in a empty 4x12 cab i had. sounds AMAZING!!

http://warehousespeakers.com/products.php?cat=9
Gear:
Mesa MK IV head
Mesa 4x12 cab(3)
Marshall JCM900 2100 SL-X
BBE 482i
ESP eclispe II
B52 At-100 head
MXR and Boss pedals
Sparow guitars
Peavey 5150 II modded
JJ electronic tubes

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
Quote by HouseBoy83
i have heard a Bugera cab with V30s in it before, and to be honest it sounds better then the stock 1960A cab that he has to. the Bugera cabs are not that bad. decent wood, decent construction. it sounded pretty damn good imo. the Avatar cabs are damn good cabs as well. also if you are going to just do a speaker swap in your bugera cab with V30s, check out Warehouse Guitar speakers man. they are a growing speaker company that makes their version of Celestion speakers. imo there Veteren 30 speakers(Vintage 30) sound way better then the celstions, and there $69 a pop..damn good price. i bought 2 Veteren 30s and 2 of their Et65s(Celestion G12-65) and run them in a X pattern in a empty 4x12 cab i had. sounds AMAZING!!

http://warehousespeakers.com/products.php?cat=9

Warehouse speakers are good stuff. I have 4 of their V30s in various cabs and 4 of their CL80s in another. A little hard to stomach the $69 for one of their V30s though since they were originally $20.
Mesa Rev. G Triple Rectifier
Mesa Series II Single Rectifier
Mesa Stage 1 Stiletto Deuce
Marhshall DSL 100w
Fender '67 Bassman
Fender Roc Pro 1000 (x2)
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland JC-120
Blackstar HT-5H
Jet City JCA20H
Crate GX-15
Quote by TheRectified
Warehouse speakers are good stuff. I have 4 of their V30s in various cabs and 4 of their CL80s in another. A little hard to stomach the $69 for one of their V30s though since they were originally $20.

yeah i know what you mean man. when i bought the first 2 Veteren 30s from them i paid $39.99 a piece for them, then when i bought the Et65s paid $69 a pop for them. but still they are cheaper then the Celestions. the Vintage 30s run about $99-120 a pop sometimes and the G12-65s run about $120 a pop compared
to Warehouse's Et65s for $69. still a good price.

also another good speaker for cheap that sounds really good are the Eminence Texas Heats. 150w handleing a piece and sell for about $65. Dime used them is his krank cabs. good rock tone
Gear:
Mesa MK IV head
Mesa 4x12 cab(3)
BBE 482i
ESP eclispe II
B52 At-100 head
MXR and Boss pedals
Sparow guitars
Peavey 5150 II modded
JJ electronic tubes

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
I'm going to have to look into those warehouse speakers. I think I'm going to just get some new speakers and throw them in this Ho' right here :] If later on I see a need to change the cab for whatever reason, I'll just save up for something mega badass.
Quote by anibawl
I'm going to have to look into those warehouse speakers. I think I'm going to just get some new speakers and throw them in this Ho' right here :] If later on I see a need to change the cab for whatever reason, I'll just save up for something mega badass.

awsome.

they have a few sound samples for each type of speaker on the site.

i recomend my set up.damn good rock tone with big lowend

i have 2 Veteren 30s and 2 Et65s in a "x" pattern in my cab
Gear:
Mesa MK IV head
Mesa 4x12 cab(3)
BBE 482i
ESP eclispe II
B52 At-100 head
MXR and Boss pedals
Sparow guitars
Peavey 5150 II modded
JJ electronic tubes

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
I think Veteran 30s sound better than V30s. It's just my idea but V30s do not sound good at all and have an extremely obnoxious nasal honk and harsh highs. But again, it's all opinion, ymmv.
Quote by anibawl

generally you want the true sound of your amp to come through rather than the true sound of the speakers. Speakers are kind of like pickups, they add certain nuances to your tone, but they they should not be the main emphasis of your rig.

there is no absolute statement that will answer your question

I might as well re-quote myself from another thread seeing as how it applies here.

Quote by the boogieman
open back/closed back, 412/112, birch ply/particle board, slant/straight, ported/unported, vert baffle/horizontal baffle, oversized, front mounted speakers/rear mounted speakers, etc

there are a ton of variables when it comes to cabinets. the basic formula is there, but cabs are a finicky thing to add to your rig. once you add in room acoustics and speakers, all you can do is play the cab with your rig and see how it responds

Buy the v30's, install them, and see if they suit your rig. If not, sell them and try something new. You can try and geuss what speakers may fit your cab well, but tone chasing has no formula.
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
TS: Rule of thumb - don't cheap out when it comes to your cab because its just as important to your tone as the amp itself.

This is very true it's amazing how much better my 6505+ sounds through my Engl cab as opposed to my 6505 cab even with V30's in there
Quote by the boogieman
generally you want the true sound of your amp to come through rather than the true sound of the speakers. Speakers are kind of like pickups, they add certain nuances to your tone, but they they should not be the main emphasis of your rig.
The effect of speakers are in no way "nuances" they make a significant difference.

http://southbayampworks.com/stf/26scumclip.mp3

vs.

http://southbayampworks.com/stf/24scumclip.mp3

And for comparison, the first one is a clone of the second one. Same amp, same guitar.
Quote by al112987
I think Veteran 30s sound better than V30s. It's just my idea but V30s do not sound good at all and have an extremely obnoxious nasal honk and harsh highs. But again, it's all opinion, ymmv.

i agree. the Vintage 30s sound damn good, but that have this odd mid range in them that sounds like flabby butt sometimes. and the highs can get pretty harsh sometimes to.

the Veteran 30s have basically fixed that issue with there speakers. and sound alot better imo.
Gear:
Mesa MK IV head
Mesa 4x12 cab(3)
BBE 482i
ESP eclispe II
B52 At-100 head
MXR and Boss pedals
Sparow guitars
Peavey 5150 II modded
JJ electronic tubes

BUGERA USERS MILITIA