Hey, well I play a Gibson Les Paul (I have others and am getting an Am Deluxe Ash tele this week) but I play with 9 gauge strings and my band plays half step down now. Is it uncommon to play half step down with 9's? Do some pros do it? I think Jimi did. And on my les paul on the lower strings (e and a) I've had a problem where I'll fret a note and it will ring but it rattles/buzzes a bit and doesn't sustain well is that not normal at all? I've had this guitar for years and just paid attention to this so I don't know if its uncommon. But anyways the main question is 9's with Eb tuning, does anyone else? I'm too scared to get all my guitars set up for 10's and not like it. Note: I still like to play in standard too when I'm not with my band.
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American 52 Telecaster RI
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Tanglewood Acoustic
Fender F-80-12
Various Pedals
Orange Rockerverb 50 Head
Orange Cabinets
Yah I've been playing it that way for a while. Is it bad on the neck/intonation to tune back and forth between th two?
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Tanglewood Acoustic
Fender F-80-12
Various Pedals
Orange Cabinets
id say go ahead and put 10s on it to see if that werks better for ya then the 9's, set up is all about experimentation.
-i play with 10's and i switch from drop C to E standard, and i don't have those string buzzing problems.
you'll notice a little bit of difference going from 9s to 10s. if you get fret buzz while using 9s in Eb, you might not need to adjust anything when you go to 10s to keep the action where you want it.

when you say scared of getting it setup for 10s, do you mean having a local store do it or doing it yourself? if you dont know how do do make adjustments yourself, its definitely worth learning. going form 9 to 10s wont require too much work. maybe adjusting your bridge height and if that doesn't cut it, a little tightening the truss rod. refer to the guitar setup and Q&A for this

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Yah I must have bad frets because I've worn it out quite a bit and the actions pretty low
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Tanglewood Acoustic
Fender F-80-12
Various Pedals
Orange Cabinets
yea man, if you wear down your frets too much you gotta get it adjusted and they raise those frets back up. if those freats go too low itll throw off your intonation.
It's not bad for the neck to change string gauges, but you might have to make slight setup adjustments each time you change. It is totally normal to make slight adjustments over time, anyway. Doesn't Tony Iommi play detuned with really light gauge strings ?
thin slice o skin
No I'm worried I won't like it at all and then geting it re set up but you're right I could do it myself
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Tanglewood Acoustic
Fender F-80-12
Various Pedals
Orange Cabinets
yea iommi uses banjo strings, im not sure what the gauge is, pretty thin tho,
YaH Iommi definately does he plays 8's but he has a good reason haha. I don't wanna be considered a pussy for playing 9's half step Jimmy Page pays 9's but he plays mostly standard
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Tanglewood Acoustic
Fender F-80-12
Various Pedals
Orange Cabinets
shitt 6's?? I didn't know anyone even played tat low of gauge
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Tanglewood Acoustic
Fender F-80-12
Various Pedals
Orange Cabinets
I got another thing too add. When I get it set up should I set it up for 1/2 step down and tune up when I wanna play standard or get it set for standard. I'd rather do standard (less tension) but when I tune down will i get buzzing?
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Tanglewood Acoustic
Fender F-80-12
Various Pedals
Orange Cabinets
well, the tele should be fine with 9's, maybe a little loose. 10's are the cure on that part. don't be afraid. the only thing you may need to adjust is the intonation, but it'll be fine.

the Gibson, on the other may need 11's for half step down. the shorter scale length makes the strings looser, so for a good tension in just E standard would need at least 10's, which is what is normally factory installed with. I would get a pack of 11's to tune a half step down with a 24.75 scaled guitar.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Yah I just talked to the guy who sets up my guitars. I'm putting 10's on the les paul and getting it set up for Eb and than I'll leave my tele with 9's when it comes. So I'll have 9's on fenders and 10's on les paul. But tuning up won't be hard on the guitar right? Most of the time when I'm not with my band I play standard. The guitar repair guy told me set up at the lowest pitch, which I will do.
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Tanglewood Acoustic
Fender F-80-12
Various Pedals
Orange Cabinets