Ok, so I seem to be having difficulty learning songs with power chords, mainly because my wrist gets tired and starts to hurt. Now I'm unsure if this is due to bad posture, or I just haven't developed enough strength to play power chords for extended periods of time. It feels like my wrist gets tired of having to put so mush pressure on the fretboard. A lot more pressure than i would think it would take to fret the chord, but if I let off even the slightest bit the chord's muddy. (They already are as it is)

So I usually play with my guitar on my right knee, with my left elbow resting on my left thigh and hunched over the guitar. I realize this is horrible posture. How do i fix it?

I know that i need to push my left elbow forward towards the guitar so that there isn't so much of a bend in my wrist, but the only way to do that is to drop my left shoulder considerably. Which results in me hunched over the guitar and falling off my chair to the left.

The other way I could do it is to raise the neck of the guitar but in order to get the bend out of my wrist i have to raise it crazy high, close to my face.

So any suggestions?
"Well you said I might get laid more if I didn't play pokemon... but I decided getting laid more isn't worth not catching them all."

E-married to the Super Fantastical simply_me(:
The soreness is just from the fact that you haven't got the strength built up yet. It bothered me a lot too when I started doing power chords, just keep at it and build your muscles up.

And the posture thing- it's all personal preference, some people play in really weird ways, whatever works. But try to play the 'normal' way for now, while you build your wrists up, and see if it gets any better.

one more thing, it's important to keep your wrist straight if you can, it really helps.
Last edited by Insaneguy75 at Dec 17, 2009,
yeah its just a strength issue. but about your posture... idk.. practice standing up instead of sitting down. but when you do, just sit up straight. remember what your mother says!

PSN: reldask
Last edited by reldask at Dec 17, 2009,
also stand up and use a strap. If you ever want to play live your gonna have to anyway.
no sir away a papaya war is on
I found that when I was transitioning from sitting down to stand-up playing, I found the lower frets to be the hardest, it helps to have the strap well adjusted and even to angle the neck up to you a bit. That's the nice thing about standing up compared to sitting down, you can adjust much better.
Quote by Peice_of_Mind

So I usually play with my guitar on my right knee, with my left elbow resting on my left thigh and hunched over the guitar. I realize this is horrible posture. How do i fix it?

I know that i need to push my left elbow forward towards the guitar so that there isn't so much of a bend in my wrist, but the only way to do that is to drop my left shoulder considerably. Which results in me hunched over the guitar and falling off my chair to the left.

Yes, this is horrible posture and it's not going to be fixed by moving your elbow forwards.

Move your elbow back, lift it off your leg and straighten your wrist. You seem to be thinking of an angle where your forearm goes straight down, whereas it should be alot more horizontal.

Also, try putting the guitar over your left knee instead- I've always found this easier.
to fix pain, on you fretting hand, you pointer knuckle has to be straight with your arm.

fixed up tons of issues for me, pain is completely gone. takes alittle adjusting, but you can play longer without pain on the lower strings. problem kinda comes back with the higher strings though XD

i learned this from freepower's youtube video on posture. (the videos above)
Quote by Peice_of_Mind
Ok, so I seem to be having difficulty learning songs with power chords, mainly because my wrist gets tired and starts to hurt. Now I'm unsure if this is due to bad posture, or I just haven't developed enough strength to play power chords for extended periods of time.
So any suggestions?

I think this is the issue - you pretty much have to be pressing too hard, or have a horribly set up guitar. Because it just doesn't take that much strength to fret notes. I mean, most people have a grip strength of 10 lbs/finger at a minimum (most adult males have 2-5 times that) and it takes a fraction of a lb. to depress a guitar string.

This is a finesse instrument, not weight lifting.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Thanks for the help guys.
I saw Freepower's videos and I'll be working on my posture, and I'll keep at the power chords to build the necessary strength.
"Well you said I might get laid more if I didn't play pokemon... but I decided getting laid more isn't worth not catching them all."

E-married to the Super Fantastical simply_me(:
I've moved on form the wrist crampage...it's jsut practice tiem to build the muscles...but now my thumb cramps up. When my thumb starts to cramp up on power chords, I do a few bars without my thumb on the back of the neck. Use my index and and ring finger to kind of pull the neck towards my body to compensate...sometimes I can get the chords to sound good...and it gives my thumb a respite.