Im not totally sure if this is the correct forum to put this in, but lately I've been having a lot of trouble writing songs. I tend to write my lyrics first, and then write music to go with it while trying to weave the lyrics in.

Would it be better to just write the whole song and then put the lyrics to it? Or am i best sticking to trying to what I'm doing now? In any case, what do you guys usually do?
Well writing lyrics can come first for some songs and then music later and for other songs music come first and then lyrics. When the music comes first it creates this "image" as to what the song is about, a relationship gone wrong or near death experience etc. This makes way for how the lyrics are written. On the other hand when lyrics are written first it sets up how the music should go. Is it a hate song, is it a love song, etc. It doesn't really matter what comes first but they do go hand in hand as to how they are both written.
Quote by Phat Stud 55
Well writing lyrics can come first for some songs and then music later and for other songs music come first and then lyrics. When the music comes first it creates this "image" as to what the song is about, a relationship gone wrong or near death experience etc. This makes way for how the lyrics are written. On the other hand when lyrics are written first it sets up how the music should go. Is it a hate song, is it a love song, etc. It doesn't really matter what comes first but they do go hand in hand as to how they are both written.

I'm guessing he's saying you can do either, but it obviously will take practice both ways.