Hey everyone, I have noticed that when playing my LP Menace series with "490R and 498T Smoky Coil” pickups that they are pretty 'hot' and cause a lot of feedback when using my peavey 5150 combo. The guitar is set up in drop c and i like to play a lot of hard rock and metal and prefer a dark, thick and bassy tone. My problem mainly with the pickups is that i get a lot of feedback and they seem to have a lot of treble. As well when im playing i feel like its hard to do pinch harmonics for some reason and im unsure why this is (in comparison to my Godin Freeway Classic) would anyone know why? (if i turn my NS-2 up anymore then it kills my tone too much and its already near 75%)

would changing pickups help me out here or not? i was thinking Duncan SH-8's (invaders) but i hear they are very high output, so would this continue to give me the problem im having with lots of feedback? (the reason i was looking at Invaders was because they are more of a thick and dark pickup with not very much treble but would this be a bad match with my LP Menace?)

Sorry for all the questions, thank you in advance...
Last edited by AkiraSpectrum at Dec 17, 2009,
Have you tried turning your gain down on your amp? If I'm remembering my friend's 5150 correctly, 7 on the pre was a shit-ton of distortion.
i have but unfortunately i like having lots of distortion and i wouldn't like having any less than i have now. even when playing clean the LP distorts a bit when my Godin does not.
Having the pre-gain at 7 on a 5150 is absolutely ridiculous. Turn it down, nobody needs that much gain.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
There are a lot of artists who use more distortion than I do...

Perhaps if I tell people that on the clean channel my godin does fine but my gibson distorts would this drive people away from how much distortion i use on the lead channel? Essentially there is a difference here in feedback between the two guitars. Perhaps a pickup change is in order... what pickups would be good for heavy rock yet not feedback as much? In looking at various ESP/LTD guitars that have SD's (passives) I notice the Custom 5 (SH-14) or JB are the ones they use, which would be a better choice in a les paul and would they perhaps fix my feedback problem/distorting on clean channel issue?
Last edited by AkiraSpectrum at Dec 17, 2009,