I was wondering how much a good amp would cost. I need something that could be heard over a drummer ( so like 300 watts from what I understand).
no sir away a papaya war is on
my guitar amp is 200 watts solid state and i could be heard fine at less than halfway during practices. and plus when you gig they mic your amps . but to your question, id say around 400 to 500. higher if you want a nice tube.

reldit: well.. i bought my Kustom off of ebay and it was 400. so maybe theyll be even more in stores like GC and SA.

PSN: reldask
Last edited by reldask at Dec 17, 2009,
200-300W is usually ideal, look at Acoustic for an economical option (the B200 at $350 for the combo). However, Peavey is coming out with the new Tour TKO in a couple months that's 400W at the same price as the Acoustic combo.

All in all, your best bet is to look used, craigslist is your friend when buying amps.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by reldask
my guitar amp is 200 watts solid state and i could be heard fine at less than halfway during practices. and plus when you gig they mic your amps . but to your question, id say around 400 to 500. higher if you want a nice tube.

reldit: well.. i bought my Kustom off of ebay and it was 400. so maybe theyll be even more in stores like GC and SA.

bass amps need more watts than guitar amps. FYI

Also I plan on playing a lot of basements w/o a PA
I really think you can get away with 100-200 watts. I mean I've done okay with a 35 watt, and my guitarist is playing out of a 2x12 60 watt. I just recently switched to a 100 watt stack, and it's pretty loud, and yeah, they mic your set up, and so it's all about sound. I spent like 400$ for my set up.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
It depends on the gig: size of the venue (or is it outdoors?), the type of music you want to play, and what the other members of the band are using. Generally, you want at least 200 watts to be heard over the guitars and the drums. If you are playing quieter music (i.e., jazz) then you could get by with less.
I already know that I need about 2-300 watts, I was wondering what I'm gonna have to spend for a good amp.
around $400-ish and up would probably be a good bet. You might be able to do better if you go used
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass