Alright, so I'm getting a new car to make finding internships easier to find, as well as for the convenience.

The point is, I'm very inexperienced in what to look for when buying a car.

Now, I'm not entirely sure whether or not I'll get a used car. I'm sure I could find a great, cheap used car that fulfills my needs, however, I honestly don't think I know enough to feel confident enough to not get scammed. So I may end up just trying to buy a cheap new car.

I've pretty much narrowed down my choices to a Nissan Altima, Toyota Camry, or a Honda Accord. However, if there are any other reasonable suggestions, I'll definitely listen. I basically need any suggestions on what to look for when buying a car, used and new. Also, any suggestions on what model to buy, how to avoid getting scammed, any good sites, etc.

I've been doing my own research but I felt a second opinion can never hurt

tl;dr I'm buying a car. help.

Thanks in advance
Don't buy a new car. You lose so much money.

1. Don't buy a car off a kid / someone that looks like an idiot.
2. Check for decent service history
3. Avoid high Kilometers
4. Make sure you'll be able to afford insurance.

Have you got any friends / family members that work with cars?
RIP Tom Searle.
Take someone with you =]

Get someone you know who knows cars and if he can tell if it's a good deal or not or whatever. He can also point you to some second hand cars.

Sorry, that's all i can think of.
Don't buy anything over 100k. Check the service history for any repetitive issues or any notes that might flag a problem up. Ask when the Cambelt was last replaced.
Open the bonnet up when you start it up and watch to see what happens for anything OBLIVIOUSLY obvious. Open the boot and lift up the lining to check for rust (had this happen to me, rust had eaten right through the wheel arches >_<.
Also, take someone with you, past couple of cars I've bought I've taken my dad with me. He's got a a fair bit of experiance with cars, but it always pays to have someone with you when you haggle a price, not to scare the poor bloke your buying it from, but just so your not intimidated. Hope this helps

Edit: When I say 100k, I mean miles. Not 100,000 of your hard earned monies.
'Always outnumbed, never outgunned'
PSN + XBL: Jimsworthy

Charvel So-Cal ProMod Black
Ibanez RG350Dx W/ Duncans
Blackstar HT Stage 100
ASshdown 4x12
Morley George Lynch Dragon Wah II
Last edited by metal-murnanes at Dec 17, 2009,
Thanks for the input guys, and sorry for the late response but my internet isn't exactly working properly.

I definitely want to try to get a used car, and that's all I've been looking at, but I just don't want to get scammed and end up having to pay more for repairs than for the car itself. My uncle is fairly good with cars so I'll probably ask him to go with me.

I've been looking up what kind of things to check on like oil, corrosion, signs of body damage, etc., I just wanted advice since I'm a bit new to all of this.

Also, anyone disagree with any of the three models I listed? I want a comfortable, roomy car with good mileage.
When buying a second hand car, kick the tyres.
Then the seller knows you know your business.
Quote by Led_Head Salvy
Thanks for the input guys, and sorry for the late response but my internet isn't exactly working properly.

I definitely want to try to get a used car, and that's all I've been looking at, but I just don't want to get scammed and end up having to pay more for repairs than for the car itself. My uncle is fairly good with cars so I'll probably ask him to go with me.

I've been looking up what kind of things to check on like oil, corrosion, signs of body damage, etc., I just wanted advice since I'm a bit new to all of this.

Also, anyone disagree with any of the three models I listed? I want a comfortable, roomy car with good mileage.

Well. you'll defently be getting reliabilty with those models as they are all japanese, what sort of budget you got?

Blackstar HT Stage 100
ASshdown 4x12
Aw those cars are all rubbish, what do you need it for other than driving around? Get a car that looks nice and drives fun, don't get one that's practical or anything like that.

I suggest a mini cooper
I don't know what Camry you were looking at but my mum has had a Camry Intrigue and now one of the 08 models, and they've both been great. Only problems were when she didn't take care of it.
Quote by naedauuf
I'm in need of a guy

I went there.
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
^The US doesn't have Skodas, unfortunately.

Look for a used Honda Fit with around 40-50 thousand miles. You'll be shocked at how spacious they are.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Aw those cars are all rubbish, what do you need it for other than driving around? Get a car that looks nice and drives fun, don't get one that's practical or anything like that.

I suggest a mini cooper

He's said roomy :p. That said, Mini's are very reliable, and parts are easily avalible if the need arises. Because of that and thier size, they make perfect first cars, so they'll cost a bit more then your average Polo or Corsa. But you won't go wrong with a mini or any JDM model you listed bud

Blackstar HT Stage 100
ASshdown 4x12
What is your budget?
Quote by Lemoninfluence
I've decided that Paul Gilbert's hands have no method of communication with his brain. they exist as separate sentient beings each with an IQ of 400.
Chaeck under the car for oil leaks and go for a test drive, or at least just start the car and inch it forwards to get a feel for the clutch. i didnt do this with the last car i bought and i got halfway home when the clutch went. needless to say i gaot rather angry and the bloke i bought it off had a new one fitted free of charge!!

also, if you want 100% guarentee that the car will run forever....

....BUY GERMAN!!!
RIP Turnip. RIP MCA.
RIP #58.
investigate a volkswagon golf. reliable little cars roomy and practical.
Quote by neopowell
That would be amazing. "I WILL BURN EVERYTHING!" *Garrigan appears with bucket* "Fuck this for a giggle, I'm outta here..."

Blog?
follow me
Quote by GArrigan
investigate a volkswagon golf. reliable little cars roomy and practical.

Built like tanks and go for miles

Blackstar HT Stage 100
ASshdown 4x12
lol I suppose I could always just say F it and go for a fun car :P
...but I am a guy who goes for function first

To all those who are asking, I'm willing to spend upwards of $10,000, but obviously I'd much rather spend less than that.

I'm well aware I'd have to spend a lot more for a new car and that's exactly why I'm looking up used cars. I also know for a fact that honda accords and toyota camrys are reliable and dependable cars. Still, if it comes down to it, I'd much rather look for a reliable new car than a risky used one.

I'm using a combination of personal savings and borrowing from my uncle to pay off for the car, so I'd definitely like to borrow the least amount of money from my uncle as possible.

I love all of you
Quote by Ed Hunter
(Invalid img)

I went there.

My mum got a new Fabia in '99. It's still going, with over 100k miles on the clock. The most expensive service was when she had to change all 4 tyres.
Volkwagons are very reliable (cos they're german) and Extremely fun to drive! What more do you want!
RIP Turnip. RIP MCA.
RIP #58.
Quote by Led_Head Salvy
lol I suppose I could always just say F it and go for a fun car :P
...but I am a guy who goes for function first

To all those who are asking, I'm willing to spend upwards of $10,000, but obviously I'd much rather spend less than that.

I'm well aware I'd have to spend a lot more for a new car and that's exactly why I'm looking up used cars. I also know for a fact that honda accords and toyota camrys are reliable and dependable cars. Still, if it comes down to it, I'd much rather look for a reliable new car than a risky used one.

I'm using a combination of personal savings and borrowing from my uncle to pay off for the car, so I'd definitely like to borrow the least amount of money from my uncle as possible.

I love all of you

Get a 1987 IROC Camaro. You'd have so much fun and look cool as hell.
It all makes sense
We're capable of beauty
Through sounds that make on cringe
The dogs only hear us now

Hondas and Toyotas are reliable as ****. Get yourself a civic, celica, accord or camry.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by Led_Head Salvy
Alright, so I'm getting a new car to make finding internships easier to find, as well as for the convenience.

The point is, I'm very inexperienced in what to look for when buying a car.

Now, I'm not entirely sure whether or not I'll get a used car. I'm sure I could find a great, cheap used car that fulfills my needs, however, I honestly don't think I know enough to feel confident enough to not get scammed. So I may end up just trying to buy a cheap new car.

I've pretty much narrowed down my choices to a Nissan Altima, Toyota Camry, or a Honda Accord. However, if there are any other reasonable suggestions, I'll definitely listen. I basically need any suggestions on what to look for when buying a car, used and new. Also, any suggestions on what model to buy, how to avoid getting scammed, any good sites, etc.

I've been doing my own research but I felt a second opinion can never hurt

tl;dr I'm buying a car. help.

Thanks in advance

You'll lose about 20% or more of the value of the car just by driving out of the showroom... Buying secondhand is the only way to go.

Go through a reputable dealer and make sure you get some sort of guarantee with it (with my car I managed to get 6 months repairs for free if they're needed and a free "tune up" after 12months.)

If you know somebody up on cars get them to come with you to check things over too.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details