I know they are rare and only made 1,959 (which spells 1959 :O) but i was wondering if any1 has tried one of the cherry sunburst models and would u recommend one?

i ask bcos i might get 1 4 christmas XD!

thanks
I've tried two. Can't say I noticed anything about them really worth creaming yourself over. Pickups - BB#2 and #3 - were alright but you can get those in lots of different guitars (or retrofit them yourself; or get better pickups - I like BurstBuckers but they're not the end-all best pickups out there). The neck felt a touch thicker than the normal Epi neck too. Those two points aside, I can't say I could tell the difference between them and a Standard Epi. Whether you like the thicker neck or not is down to personal preference and an Epi Lp Standard with a pickup swap will be more personalised and cheaper than the '59 model so... yeah, seems rather pointless to me.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
What did u think of the quality of the finish?

I think it looks rly nice, but to be honest, i hvnt seen one in real life XD!

I'm playing an Epi LP-100 at the moment, do u think i would notice much of a difference between the models?
The two I played both had the Iced Tea finish, so I can't comment on the quality of the cherry sunburst you asked about, but for what it's worth the general finish quality seemed, well, just the same as any Epi LP Standard Plus top. I would doubt their claim that the flame maple veneer is AAA grade, it seemed no different than the AA grade veneer that's on my Epi Joe Perry LP.

Compared to an Epi LP-100 though, yeah, you're going to notice quite an improvement. All-round build quality was better than any low-end Epi I've played before (same can be said for any Epi Standard though), and the tone was at least decently thick like an LP should be. As I said before, bear in mind the neck is thicker than the normal Epi neck (which your LP-100 has), which might take some getting used to; beyond that you're going to definitely notice a quality upgrade all-round.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
cool sounds great

so why do u think they have marked the price up so much? Is it through the marketing of it being labelled as a "'59" les paul?
Basically, yes. The thicker neck is purely personal preference (that many people will hate), the pickups aren't particularly amazing (as I said before, I like them, but they're nothing special really), the longer neck tenon should help sustain in theory but on guitars in this price range you'll struggle to notice a difference, and everything else is the same as any Epi LP Standard. Really the higher price boils down to a couple of £90 pickups (which honestly sound no different to the £60 Seth Lovers that Seymour Duncan make) and the '1959' tag. It's quite like the Gibson Custom Shop 1958 and 1959 Les Pauls; they're essentually the same but they charge an extra £100 for the '59 one just because it says '1959' on the tag.
None of my local dealers have them yet but I have told several of the sale people to call me as soon as they get on in. I will probably hate the thicker neck I played a Gibson 59 reissue a few months ago and while it was an amazing guitar the neck profile was not what I prefer.

John
I have one they sound great! plays and looks awsome. You should adjust the pole pieces some, mostly in the 4th and 5th string for a nice smooth sound because there over wound. these sound great in marshalls I had a epi standard with a burstbucker in the bridge and the 59 just sound better! tons of sustain also.
tone slut

Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier
jet City 2112 Combo
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Classic Vibe Telecaster
I hate that they put the 1959 tag on it.

The only real addition to it is the long neck tenon, other than that, there really isn't anything "1959" about it, I guess it has burstbuckers, but you can stick other pickups that are better than burstbuckers in a normal Epiphone for the same price. I've seen a few of them in stores and none of them looked like 1959s to me, it's a gripe I have with Epiphones, especially cherry sunburst Epiphones, the sunburst is never right. At least imo...
maple cap, the neck is thicker but not as much as a 59 which im glad
tone slut

jet City 2112 Combo
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Last edited by ksmc at Dec 17, 2009,
Well of course they aren't going to look like a real '59!

Can I please just say, it really annoys me when people actually compare Epiphone (as a brand in general) to real Gibson products! They obviously are not the same! Epiphone is a cheaper brand where you get the "official" names of products at a cheaper price with similar specs to the originals, they obviously aren't going to be the same as the Gibson models! Due to many factors such as production costs are much less, the quality of the products are to a lower standard than Gibson and most importantly of all Epiphone is really just designed for beginners!

As a result I really cannot understand why Epiphone receives such bad press! I realize that they are not amazing, yet they are good guitars for beginners! (Or at the very least people with a low-budget for guitars).

So please don't compare the "official" products to the replicas, because quite obviously they won't be the same, but that doesn't mean to say that Epiphone is a poor brand.
everyone on the epi boards love there guitars, they are nicely made even the stock pups can sound ok when you set them up right. Im sure mine is pretty dam close to gibby would like to compare it some day. When I got my first standard at GC i compared it to a 1200 dollar one and i couldnt tell much a diff. in sound between them. I also to talked to a guy that has both a gibby and the epi and he said the gibby sounds a lttle diff. but not much, he a has a vid on you tube.
tone slut

jet City 2112 Combo
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Quote by Hebbamundo
Well of course they aren't going to look like a real '59!

then why try? to not succeed?

for the price, there exist better options is all I'm going to say.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
then why try? to not succeed?

for the price, there exist better options is all I'm going to say.
exactly! what is the point of even putting the 1959 itle on it?
It's marketing!!! You do realize that Epiphone is an organization with only a profit motive!

That's why they label it the '59, so beginners and amateur guitarists can have a fairly decent replica of a Gibson '59 Les Paul... It's not supposed to be like the real thing... Just a fairly standard replica for beginners who are paying for the name of a Les Paul, and a 1959 model.

Nevertheless, it looks like an awesome guitar!
get a used elite/elitist
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
btw, if anyone is interested I got the guitar today and it plays amazing! It sounds almost like a realy gibson les paul as me father and I compared the two and it is really good from tht perspective (it uses gibson pickups :P)

the finish is brilliant! better than any epiphone les paul I have ever seen, it is fantastic!

However, the headstock was not as advertised as photos and epiphone's description of the guitar do nt match the headstock, epiphone claims it to be blank whilst it actually reads "Les Paul 1959 standard", which personally I think is better than a blank headstock so I was actually quite pleased... I don't know if epiphone changed their mindes for the later models but mine was model no. 101/1959 so if they did change the design it mustve been blank for the 1st 100 or something but to be frank im not sure.

playability is nice, neck has a nice feel, pearl inlays look great, the overall finish is great, sounds amazing for the price... the only thing i would say is i had to adjust the heights of the pick ups a bit and my treble "spinny thing :P" for volume was very tight so I had to take that up a bit but other than that everything is really good! Also, it stays in tune very well which is a big bonus! Also the internation was almost perfect so that was good!

The guitar itself is excellent, however, I may consider buying a new hard case as the one issued with it is bright pink and is not nice!

Overall I would give it a 9/10 it is a superb guitar! excellent value for money and I would recommend it to any players! (if you can find one as they are a ltd edition custom shop model :P only 1,959 were made!)
I tried one and it was far better than my plus top.

Less fret buzz with a nice low action and better sounding pickups.
I could just get a fret job and new pickups but thats $400-500.

Spend the $200-300 and deal with the pink case.
It's worth it if you find a good one.

It actually played and sounded better
than the gibson LP studios they had.

The smaller neck is a plus for me.
I may trade mine in for one.
Quote by al112987
I hate that they put the 1959 tag on it.

The only real addition to it is the long neck tenon, other than that, there really isn't anything "1959" about it, I guess it has burstbuckers, but you can stick other pickups that are better than burstbuckers in a normal Epiphone for the same price. I've seen a few of them in stores and none of them looked like 1959s to me, it's a gripe I have with Epiphones, especially cherry sunburst Epiphones, the sunburst is never right. At least imo...

Yeah.. look at the pic a few posts above..

Not knocking the guitar, but that's nothing like what it's meant to be - the sunburst on a '59 does NOT follow the exact outline of the body like that.

I think this is a gibson custom shop R9 which is quite accurate - note the entirely different sunburst shape. I would post a picture of a genuine '59 if i could find a picture of one where the burst hasn't faded away completely.

i think it's fair enough that epiphone can't get the colours quite right, but they could at least try to get the shape of the burst right if they're gonna call it a '59 reissue...
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
Yeah.. look at the pic a few posts above..

Not knocking the guitar, but that's nothing like what it's meant to be - the sunburst on a '59 does NOT follow the exact outline of the body like that.

I think this is a gibson custom shop R9 which is quite accurate - note the entirely different sunburst shape. I would post a picture of a genuine '59 if i could find a picture of one where the burst hasn't faded away completely.

i think it's fair enough that epiphone can't get the colours quite right, but they could at least try to get the shape of the burst right if they're gonna call it a '59 reissue...

^exactly, THAT is what a '59 style sunburst is supposed to look like, the red is supposed to be a deep, dark red at the edges, which you never see on an Epiphone, and even the faded sunburst finish of an old '58-'60 sunburst does not have that same character as on the Epiphone '59.

Two vintage bursts..

Granted, not many guitars outside of the Gibson historics do the sunburst correctly. Most Gibson les paul standards/classics/studios that have cherry sunburst finishes do not have the '59 style burst either but at the same time, they're not advertised as being 1959 replicas.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 24, 2010,
This topic's a month old =/
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Quote by al112987
Granted, not many guitars outside of the Gibson historics do the sunburst correctly. Most Gibson les paul standards/classics/studios that have cherry sunburst finishes do not have the '59 style burst either but at the same time, they're not advertised as being 1959 replicas.

My friend had his les paul standard in college the other day and it looked quite accurate to the '59 burst, although i've never seen another standard like that.. and now, for the sake of making all the jealous natured people angry.. He got it for his 12th birthday!
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Yeah some do, I know Lt. Shinysides's les paul standard has a pretty '58-'60 esque burst (though the color ins't quite right), I almost thought it was an R9 the first time I saw a picture of it.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 24, 2010,
Ive tried out the Epiphone les paul 1959 Reissue.
I don't think that bitching about the finish has
anything to do with the sound of the guitar.
That's whats important here. From what I could
tell the burstbuckers made a world of difference in
tone. It had more grind in the treble (distortion) and
more chop on the rhythm (clean)

I would disagree that this guitar is similar to the
Epiphone les paul standard because of the
burstbuckers which are a LOT hotter than the gibson
humbuckers that I tried in the 2010 reissue. (Let alone
the epiphone humbuckers.)

I would also say that the difference between the 1959 reissue's
and the epiphone les paul standard's necks are THAT different.
I hardly noticed a difference if any at all.

I say buy the guitar, add new strings, set it up and your good to go.
Just try it out in the shop to make sure you like the sound and neck.
I believe it does come with a decent hardshell case as well which adds about $100 to it's cost over the standard Epi LP. Whether the Gibson PUs and switchcraft Togle switch make up for the rest of price difference is matter of opinion I guess.

EDIT: On a side note.... it's a little sad that the MRSP on these higher end Epis are actually more than the retail prices for the Elitists when they were available!
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Apr 26, 2010,
As far as finishes go, they got it somewhat right on the Faded Ice Tea finish. The burst is a lot deeper... You can also see that on the Epiphone les Paul Standard you also get that deep cherry burst, they decided not to do it for this guitar.

Why they did it is beyond me, looks a whole lot better with a deep burst.
Bit of a necropost there Slimfullsim

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom