This is something I've been hunting for a while, and given my '54 purchase looks like it's falling through indefinitely, I'm thinking sod it, might as well have one more stab at finding this.

What I'm after is a decent Firebird copy, with a black finish. Epiphone only do a worn red finish and Gibson only do an off-white and sunburst finish - not to mention the Gibson is a little more than I'd like to pay given I'd have to mod the hell out of it and the Epi's just not up to the standard I'd like anyway. I am aware Gibson used to do a Firebird Studio model in black which would have been perfect, but they discontinued those ages ago and nowhere has them in stock, nor do any turn up used. I know ESP have started doing one too but theirs costs far more than I'd feel comfortable paying, it's even more than the Gibson.

I'm aware Tokai do an apparently good copy but I can't find anywhere that sells the black one.

So, anyone know of any good Firebird copies with a black finish in the sub-£1000 price range? Needs to be available in the UK (i.e. no Agile stuff). Alternatively if anyone knows of an old Gibson Firebird Studio in black being sold, I'd love to hear about that too.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I have a 95 Epi black Firebird so they did make them at one time. The only problem is it's a bolt on not that I care bolt ons can be just as good as a set neck. I got it off of Craig's List for $95.00 from a Berkley student he insisted it had a twisted neck. I didn't see anything wrong with it myself. I even took it to my luthier and all he said was the necks was too straight which I did see that. The mini humbuckers sound nice but they do feedback a bit more than I would like. The guitar plays like butter and has a great tone otherwise. If I can possibly find a set of Gibson minis I'll swap them out.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/johnro6659/pictures/gear/131614/

John
clicky

that will easily fit your 1000 pound budget and leave you with more than enough for customization to make it uber =]
Last edited by ezza619 at Dec 17, 2009,
The only black Firebird I have ever seen is Dave Grohl's. :/

EDIT:

Quote by ezza619
clicky

that will easily fit your 1000 pound budget and leave you with more than enough for customization to make it uber =]

Do this. And if you per se want the Gibson name instead of the Epi logo, just change the truss rod cover like Hetfield did back in the day.
^ i still don't get why people harass epiphone so much...most are good. It's just the lp100's, lp special, sg special etc. that give em a bad name. I wouldn't be ashamed of playing one, esp. after customizing n such
Quote by TheOpenMind
The only black Firebird I have ever seen is Dave Grohl's. :/
That's why I want a black one! I've got a huge hard-on for black&white guitars and an extra huge hard-on for Dave Grohl. Erm...

Quote by ezza619
clicky

Australia's no good for me :/ I need it to be *in* the UK. Our import fees are sky high, we're talking an extra £200 to import a £450 guitar - not counting the cost of shipping itself.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Gonna go ahead and bump this for any more ideas.
Quote by MrFlibble
Australia's no good for me :/ I need it to be *in* the UK. Our import fees are sky high, we're talking an extra £200 to import a £450 guitar - not counting the cost of shipping itself.

Have you looked for an Epiphone model in the UK?
Yeah, they only do a worn cherry one now. They used to do a black version but they discontinued that ages ago and I can't find any second hand. Some people may call me picky but seriously a SG cherry finish on a Firebird is so very wrong.
Quote by MrFlibble
That's why I want a black one! I've got a huge hard-on for black&white guitars and an extra huge hard-on for Dave Grohl. Erm...

Well that's still well under your £1000 budget so why not? it just means you wait a little longer.
Guitars
Ibanez S470B
Iabez MTM2 w/ Seymoar Duncan Blackouts
Epiphone SG

Amps
Roland Micro Cube

Pedals
Boss MT-2
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Well that's more a matter of a principle that I have that I refuse to get taxed and give money to our government for something that they did nothing to earn or justify. It's for that reason I'm not bothering building a Warmoth Firebird (or any other Warmoth from now on); why should I end up giving our British government £380 (which is what it'd be to import the parts of a Warmoth Firebird) just because I wanted to buy something from America, made by Americans using American parts? Yeah that makes sense, they get a bunch of my money because I want something from another country that they had nothing to do with. Sod that.
Not to mention it recently came to pass that UK customs can now legally cut up and break beyond repair any imported item that weighs more than 6lbs, without warning or needing any form of permission or anything. I.e. if some random guy in customs thinks "hmm, this thing's a bit big and heavy, let's cut it up into twenty pieces in case some drugs or snakes are hidden in it!", they can and will do that and I'll still have to pay to get the fractured remains of the guitar; I wouldn't even be told it happened until the leftovers turned up on my doorstep. Customs are now under no obligation to make sure your package arrives safely and in tact - even if they don't cut it up, they can still open it, throw away all protective packaging (including guitar cases that you may have paid extra for) manhandle it, drop it as much as they like, wrap it in a black bin liner and send it on it's way.

In other words, anyone in the UK who imports anything as of a month ago is a complete moron. It used to just be a little bit more expensive; now it's a lot more expensive and you may not even get the things you've paid for (at least not in any kind of working order). Importing is now just... you do have to be functionally retarded to even remotely consider it.
Quote by MrFlibble
Well that's more a matter of a principle that I have that I refuse to get taxed and give money to our government for something that they did nothing to earn or justify. It's for that reason I'm not bothering building a Warmoth Firebird (or any other Warmoth from now on); why should I end up giving our British government £380 (which is what it'd be to import the parts of a Warmoth Firebird) just because I wanted to buy something from America, made by Americans using American parts? Yeah that makes sense, they get a bunch of my money because I want something from another country that they had nothing to do with. Sod that.
Not to mention it recently came to pass that UK customs can now legally cut up and break beyond repair any imported item that weighs more than 6lbs, without warning or needing any form of permission or anything. I.e. if some random guy in customs thinks "hmm, this thing's a bit big and heavy, let's cut it up into twenty pieces in case some drugs or snakes are hidden in it!", they can and will do that and I'll still have to pay to get the fractured remains of the guitar; I wouldn't even be told it happened until the leftovers turned up on my doorstep. Customs are now under no obligation to make sure your package arrives safely and in tact - even if they don't cut it up, they can still open it, throw away all protective packaging (including guitar cases that you may have paid extra for) manhandle it, drop it as much as they like, wrap it in a black bin liner and send it on it's way.

In other words, anyone in the UK who imports anything as of a month ago is a complete moron. It used to just be a little bit more expensive; now it's a lot more expensive and you may not even get the things you've paid for (at least not in any kind of working order). Importing is now just... you do have to be functionally retarded to even remotely consider it.

Damn, that's nothing short of a horror story.

Maybe you could just get an Epi Firebird refinished? I guess that would be in your budget. I don't know any other options.

Anyway, good luck in finding one, my Dave Grohl compatriot.

EDIT: Firebird Auction

I know it's not black, but... It ain't cherry red either!
Chris Shiflett has one of those if I'm not mistaken.
Last edited by TheOpenMind at Dec 20, 2009,
Tokai do a Explorer in black but I havent seen Tokai do a black Firebird in ages. You used to be able to contact Tokai your self and you could buy a guitar straight off them and in what ever colour you want or you could contact a shop called Rich Tone Music that stock alot of Tokai, they should be able to help you.
Mark Tremonti: I have my own mixer on stage so I can alter my volmes while on stage

Myles Kennedy: And why's that Mark?

Mark Tremonti:....I have trust issues with the sound guy

Selling a Marshall DSL401!