Hey, I'm looking into buying my first half stack but I don't know where to start looking.

I have around £500-£600 to spend.

I've been looking at the Line6 spider III Hd150 with the matching cab but have heard shit things about Line6 tone and all being beginerish.

Any recamendations and guidence..

I play a little of everything mainly classic rock/metal so would like something to be quite versitile (hence my reason for considering the Line6)

Thanks in advance..

Guitars:
Fender American Standard Strat 2009 Limited Edition
Ibanez Gak30

Amps
Jcm 800 2203 '82

Pedals:
John bull jr overdrive
Boss Equalizer GE-7
Boss TU-3
Boss CH1

My Band
http://www.myspace.com/hereliesnuggetband
vetta?
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
Quote by Banana Wedgie
For your first half stack, can't go wrong with a Blackstar HT 5.

I know but I need it to gig so will it be alright, I have looked into it.

Guitars:
Ibanez Gak30

Amps
Jcm 800 2203 '82

Pedals:
John bull jr overdrive
Boss Equalizer GE-7
Boss TU-3
Boss CH1

My Band
Quote by sean1784
I know but I need it to gig so will it be alright, I have looked into it.

It won't be loud enough unless you are Jesus....

What you need is.... a Bugera.

Yes. A Bugera. Not sure which model is best for you, but hey, they are awesome (so I've heard)
Peavey Windsor. You might need to throw a pedal in front of it for metal though.
Quote by terryguitar
GROW UP WE DONT NEED 2 CHEAT WHEN OUR KIDS ARE BEAUTIFUL

Quote by blynd_snyper
Ummm, petrol? Nip down to your local petrol station, buy a litre of the stuff and soak your balls in it, light them up and start playing with them.
Quote by Banana Wedgie
It won't be loud enough unless you are Jesus....

What you need is.... a Bugera.

Yes. A Bugera. Not sure which model is best for you, but hey, they are awesome (so I've heard)
at least you fess up to the fact that you've never tried or heard or know anything about the amp that you are suggesting

ts: for your budget, I would look used, only way that you're going to get any kind of decent half stack in your budget. My general rule of thumb is to not buy a halfstack unless you have at least $1000 to spend, and that is on used gear. that is about 650-700 pounds sterling.
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 17, 2009,
Quote by al112987
at least you fess up to the fact that you've never tried or heard or know anything about the amp that you are suggesting

Could you suggest an amp based on my requiremtns?

Cheers

Guitars:
Ibanez Gak30

Amps
Jcm 800 2203 '82

Pedals:
John bull jr overdrive
Boss Equalizer GE-7
Boss TU-3
Boss CH1

My Band
Quote by al112987

A. The amp(s) I recommend(ed) are atleast fitting into the budget in the UK stuff, not some price converter which isn't the same as seeing on sale in the UK.
B. I've heard nothing but good reviews about the versatility of Bugera's stuff, so its not as if I haven't
Quote by al112987
heard
nothing about their amps.
C. I've heard ALOT of sound tests of Bugera's stuff on youtube.
Quote by sean1784
Could you suggest an amp based on my requiremtns?

Cheers

honestly, best amp I can think of in your price range is a Marshall DSL50 and a used 1960 cab. I don't know what prices are like in the UK, but at least here, it runs ~$700 used for the head and ~$300 for the cab (if you find a good deal).
Quote by Banana Wedgie
A. The amp(s) I recommend(ed) are atleast fitting into the budget in the UK stuff, not some price converter which isn't the same as seeing on sale in the UK.
B. I've heard nothing but good reviews about the versatility of Bugera's stuff, so its not as if I haven't nothing about their amps.
C. I've heard ALOT of sound tests of Bugera's stuff on youtube.
I hope you're kidding about Youtube being a good medium for actual tone evaluation. 95% of clips on youtube sound like crap to me, but each to your own. I've played Bugeras before and have honestly never been particularly impressed.
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 17, 2009,
Quote by sean1784
Any Other suggestions.

Whats your take on the Line 6 Spider III?

It's crap and in no way suitable for gigging - it sounds rubbish and it's poorly constructed.

A Bugera combo is probably your best bet given the low budget, but I'd hunt around for some of the used combos already suggested, or even a used Ashdown Fallen Angel if one crops up.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
There dont seem to be enough people in this thread reinforcing how bad an idea it is to get a Spider stack. It will sound like shit compared to everything else suggested so far.
If you've got the time to look for one, you should be able to get a second hand Laney GH50l and a 2x12 or 4x12 cab in budget. They don't hold their value second hand much so you can get a bargain. Look into that. MUCH better than a Spider for gigging.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
You don't need a half stack to gig. Look into the used market, a Peavey Classic 30 with a good pedal in front of it could handle the metal, classic rock, and everything in between.

There is also some used Mesas (Discontinued models on ebay can get somewhat cheap), Engl, Ceriatone..
I had a Vetta and I really really liked it. I don't have a lot of experience with high end amps but it had so many capabilities it blew my mind.
Edwards Les Paul 92
Roland Micro Cube
Marshall JCM 900 4501
Honestly, I wouldn't recommend getting a half stack with that kind of money.

Look into a used Peavey 5150 combo, or Bugera combo. Please don't get a Line 6 Spider, the price may be great but the tone is terrible and in the long run you will be very displeased with your purchase.

myspace.com/weasheroesband
Against my better judgement, I just got my first half stack too (no more borrowing amps for me, hizzuh!), Peavey Windsor head with a Marshall 1936-V cab. They're about £350 each usually but I got the lot for £560 (woo blagging at small non-chain stores). It's working out really well for me - and I usually don't like this sort of amp. Sounds, to my ears (I know al112987 will disagree with my ears), halfway between the typical ''British'' Marshall/Orange tone and a more American tweed Fender style amp - though granted that could just be because how I've EQd it and the guitars I use (which I set up and mod specifically to be extra bright-sounding; with ''normal'' guitars and an average EQ this head may well sound darker and more like your typical Marshall and Vox heads). Either way, it's a really good amp - I use it for blues-based rock, classic rock, hard rock, 80's arena stuff, pop-punk, a little bit of grunge and a little bit of gothic metal (derp..) and it handles it all brilliantly. Granted you need either very high output pickups or a good clean boost pedal in front of it to push it into metal levels of distortion (I use a Digitech Screamin' Blues overdrive set with gain to 0 and level boost to +40%; with amp gain at 8, going into the low input of the amp and with Gibson BursBucker pickups, I get metal tones easily - if I get rid of the pedal and stick the guitar in through the amp's high input I get the same sort of tone right away but then you struggle to ever get any kind of clean tone), but the point remains that it can manage it.

The only real drawback with the Windsor is it's only got one channel. Personally I'm loving this because I go through hell trying to get a little grit on my clean tone on two-channel amps (I've never liked my cleans to be 100% clean), but it will certainly annoy someone - for once you're going to have to really use the volume controls on your guitars properly.

I've tried a few other Peavey heads and they all seemed pretty good too - ValveKing had dedicated clean and distorted channels with more gain than the Windsor (easily capable of both clean and metal distortion by itself) though the footswitch it used seemed sucky and the clean tone wasn't all that great. I've also tried a (now discontinued) Classic 50 head which was another good all-rounder, but those will be hard to find.

Either way, I highly recommend looking at Peavey. Most of their heads are around the £350 mark and from what I've tried with the VlaveKing and Classic, and from what I own with the Windsor, they all seem very good.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
This is scary, dude plays metal and we're suggesting Classic 30's and Windsors.

Grab a used Peavey 5150/XXX/Ultra/VTM, Laney GH50L. Failing those go looking for a new Bugera 6262 or 333XL.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by ch0
Ahem. Classics and Windsors with a decent overdrive pedal. There's a big difference and it's not a combination to be underestimated. Most of the most famous and well-loved metal tones came from medium-gain British-voiced amps simply being driven extra hard.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Ahem. Classics and Windsors with a decent overdrive pedal. There's a big difference and it's not a combination to be underestimated. Most of the most famous and well-loved metal tones came from medium-gain British-voiced amps simply being driven extra hard.
Oh, I'm not underestimating it. I used to own a Peavey Windsor and believe me, I had the whole array of OD pedals to get heavy with it. I would have been happier with a 5150. Having to do a tap-dancing, volume knob twirling, ritual to get a (poor) semi-clean sound is annoying; at best.

Best to just buy an amp that can do what he wants. Pedals should be an afterthought.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Buy the Bugera. I have one, and it's versatile as hell. Also, the half stack can be had for 800/850 USD, depending on the model (6262 vs 333xl) Head over to the Bugera User's Militia thread, they can help you out.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Well I have a Line 6 Spider II hd 150 head with a PRO 4x10 cab half stack I swear by. I love it IMHO it's very versatile that I can play just about anything. I model my tone to match most bands and rigs. The thing cranks when I use it for the occasional gig. Like a guitar you need to play thru it my only suggestion is when you try out a Line 6 spider amp you need to play with the settings. I use the metal setting the most but when you turn the knob to metal you need to dial back all the other knobs and reset them in order to mold your tone. A lot of people do not do this and let the preprogramed setting take over and truthfully they are not very good. Don't let people discourage you on Line 6 most have never owned or even tried one. It's funny these usually are the same people who push Roland Cubes any size which IMHO are the worse amps I have ever plugged into.

There are plenty of amps out there to try I really like the Peavey Windsors if you want a tube amp but you'll need to get a load of pedals to be able to have any versatility with a tube amp. I tend to like a lot of distortion when i was playing thru my old Marshall jvm stack I would never use it with out my Big Muff Pi it just didn't have enough distortion for my taste.

I actually got a chance to try a Tech 21 SS amp last night that was really amazing. This was the first time I ever saw or heard one I have to look them up and see where they are sold so can try other amps in the line.

John
Quote by sean1784
Hey, I'm looking into buying my first half stack but I don't know where to start looking.

I have around £500-£600 to spend.

I've been looking at the Line6 spider III Hd150 with the matching cab but have heard shit things about Line6 tone and all being beginerish.

Any recamendations and guidence..

I play a little of everything mainly classic rock/metal so would like something to be quite versitile (hence my reason for considering the Line6)

Thanks in advance..

Quote by ch0

Grab a used Peavey 5150/XXX/Ultra/VTM, Laney GH50L. Failing those go looking for a new Bugera 6262 or 333XL.

Sorry, had to point out that TS says he also plays Classic Rock. It'd be easier to buy a classic rock amp and just drive it harder for the metal tones.
Quote by johnro6659
Well I have a Line 6 Spider II hd 150 head with a PRO 4x10 cab half stack I swear by. I love it IMHO it's very versatile that I can play just about anything.

There are plenty of amps out there to try I really like the Peavey Windsors if you want a tube amp but you'll need to get a load of pedals to be able to have any versatility with a tube amp. I tend to like a lot of distortion when i was playing thru my old Marshall jvm stack I would never use it with out my Big Muff Pi it just didn't have enough distortion for my taste.

The problem with line6 spiders is they sound lifeless, you get a cold harsh digital sounding tone no matter what, if your fine with that then no problem.

You can easily get lots of versatility from a tube too, it depends on the tube head you buy, the engl savage i run through can do anything and sound amazing whilst doing it.

IMO the laney is a good suggestion, your a brit, and laneys are cheap good amps for us brits and i know people who absolutely love the laney's. Some even say they sound better than marshalls! Failing that a marshall DSL Combo would also suffice.
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
Quote by FallsDownStairs
Sorry, had to point out that TS says he also plays Classic Rock. It'd be easier to buy a classic rock amp and just drive it harder for the metal tones.
My biggest problem with these kinds of suggestions is that he'll need an extra foot if he wants to go from metal to clean in one motion.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Quote by ch0
My biggest problem with these kinds of suggestions is that he'll need an extra foot if he wants to go from metal to clean in one motion.

Not exactly. He can control any clean tones he wants via volume knob if he wants. The only problem I've had with most metal amps (I have been looking for a few to get that heavier sound when I need it for when I go amp hunting..) is they don't have a great clean.
Quote by johnro6659
Well I have a Line 6 Spider II hd 150 head with a PRO 4x10 cab half stack I swear by. I love it IMHO it's very versatile that I can play just about anything. I model my tone to match most bands and rigs. The thing cranks when I use it for the occasional gig. Like a guitar you need to play thru it my only suggestion is when you try out a Line 6 spider amp you need to play with the settings. I use the metal setting the most but when you turn the knob to metal you need to dial back all the other knobs and reset them in order to mold your tone. A lot of people do not do this and let the preprogramed setting take over and truthfully they are not very good. Don't let people discourage you on Line 6 most have never owned or even tried one. It's funny these usually are the same people who push Roland Cubes any size which IMHO are the worse amps I have ever plugged into.

nah

and how the hell do you think most people havent played on a spider? Theyre probably among the most played amps you can get (not because theyre good). The problem is, most people have ONLY played on a spider, mg, whatever, so they cant actually see how bad it really sounds
Quote by FallsDownStairs
Not exactly. He can control any clean tones he wants via volume knob if he wants. The only problem I've had with most metal amps (I have been looking for a few to get that heavier sound when I need it for when I go amp hunting..) is they don't have a great clean.
Well, we'll probably wanna agree to disagree on this one.

You'd go with the low-gain amp and pedals while I'd go with something that could do what I wanted out of the box.

Different strokes for different folks.
Quote by Marty Friedman
what do you mean by classic rock and metal?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by johnro6659

I actually got a chance to try a Tech 21 SS amp last night that was really amazing. This was the first time I ever saw or heard one I have to look them up and see where they are sold so can try other amps in the line.

John

How much gain do you use in that a JVM didn't have enough gain for you?