So I know that a lot of professional artists do this.

Yesterday I boosted the dirty channel on my orange amp with a bad monkey distortion pedal (gain set to 0 on pedal). (orange RV 50)

Our drummer, who went to school for audio engineering, immediately flamed me and told me that I am ruining my dirty channel by boosting it with a 50 dollar distortion pedal (or any distortion pedal).

Yeah, it sounded a little different, but I feel like it increased the "edge" and tightined up the channel a bit. the dirty channel didnt sound as "dark" or muddled.

We got in a fierce argument with my points mainly being "professional artists do it, and the fact that I didnt think it sounded that bad", and his arguments being "Im an audio engineer, I know my stuff, why put your signal throigh an inferior preamp circuit aboard the pedal when it can go through your awesome circuit aboard the amp, you are destroying your signal". his points seem valid when I logically think about it, but using this example he would flame zakk wylde for using a distortion pedal in front of his godly marshall amp.

So I ask you guys humbly...what do you think? (I could be wrong...)
Current Gear

Bogner Uberschall
Mesa Dual Rectifier (Old Version)
Orange Closed Back 2x12 Cab with V30's
PRS Custom 24 Top 10 with 57/08 pickups
Schecter Hellraiser
Breedlove Atlas AD20
A bunch of pedals
If it really sounds good to you, do it. If you're being a bit of a muppet and just saying it sounds cool because it's new and exciting, or its something that you "invented" and now you feel all protective of it, stop it. Try really listening to it properly on your own. Using a boost or a good overdrive into a driven amp channel often works well, but adding thick distortion generally makes a sound that most people would describe as awful. It tends to lack clarity and become muddy and or fizzy all at once.
Gear:

Is what some junkies refer to heroin as. For me it's just loads of wires and good sturdy housing, but just as addictive.
Tell your drummer to get back behind the drums and shut his mouth.

An OD pedal changes the tone, but it no way ruins it.
Mesa Rev. G Triple Rectifier
Mesa Series II Single Rectifier
Mesa Stage 1 Stiletto Deuce
Marhshall DSL 100w
Fender '67 Bassman
Fender Roc Pro 1000 (x2)
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland JC-120
Blackstar HT-5H
Jet City JCA20H
Crate GX-15
OD pedal will thight up the tone it won't "steal" the tone.
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Mesa Boogie Single rectifier
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
your pickups put your signal through some of the worst electronics youll ever know; very very pots, resistors etc. in your guitar. anything else is sort of a moot point.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
See, this is why your drummer is playing the drums, and not playing guitar...

You aren't getting all of your sound from the Bad Monkey like he said. It's just boosting the amp's (awesome) signal.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
See, this is why your drummer is playing the drums, and not playing guitar...

You aren't getting all of your sound from the Bad Monkey like he said. It's just boosting the amp's (awesome) signal.

This.

The Bad Monkey isn't adding any distortion to the signal. It's just sending a hotter signal to the amp.
Marhshall DSL 100w
Fender '67 Bassman
Fender Roc Pro 1000 (x2)
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland JC-120
Blackstar HT-5H
Jet City JCA20H
Crate GX-15
thinking about this...since we're in the subject....to tight up my single recto, should i get a maxon od-808 or a simple bad monkey will do the job?
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Mesa Boogie Single rectifier
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
i can see where he is coming from. he is an audio engineer that knows 'good practice' from studio work, but it wouldn't keep me from telling him to shut his filthy man-pleasing mouth about MY TONE!

i was turned on to 'lo-fi' or perceived sub-optimal tones from many artists. at-the-drive-in really opened my mind to seemingly 'awful' distortion tones i would have never used but create a great effect and sit in the mix extremely well. if they had just listened to a 'studio engineer' for tonal advice then their albums would have lost much of their depth.

edit: moral of the story is, don't ever let anyone convince you not to experiment. you may decide after a couple weeks of playing that it doesn't sound that good, but you make the decision, not the drummer.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Dec 17, 2009,
A quality OD won't color your tone, it'll only tighten/improve it.

Paradox - OD808 or Digitech HardWire CM-2.
Since when does Zakk Wylde have a good tone?
Quote by TheChaz
I ran over two squirrels at once one time. They were chasing after each other in the street, and I swerved to avoid them, but ended up with one under each tire. Still my greatest driving accomplishment to date.

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Hitler could have been aborted
Quote by TheRectified
Tell your drummer to get back behind the drums and shut his mouth.

An OD pedal changes the tone, but it no way ruins it.

+1
TS, it comes down to this: do you want to be known as a guitarist or a Digitech Bad Monkeyist.

Its up to you
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
It comes down to what fits a sound you're looking for. People do all kinds of things to get sound, some more extreme than others, but don't ever be afraid to try something and experiment.
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
It's a legitimate way to run an amp. I personally just use cascading gain preamps that have as much gain as I want, and thereby avoid the problem - mostly because I don't want to deal with yet another part of my rig. But boosting is fine, and everybody and their brother has done it.

Your drummer is being an ass.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
OP, you should harass your drummer friend about his choice in drumsticks.
Quote by Axeaman
Since when does Zakk Wylde have a good tone?

Zakk's unique choice of power tubes in his Marshall and the EVs in his cabs have far more to do with his sound than his OD pedal.
Marhshall DSL 100w
Fender '67 Bassman
Fender Roc Pro 1000 (x2)
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland JC-120
Blackstar HT-5H
Jet City JCA20H
Crate GX-15
I have to agree that sometimes using an overdrive pedal with the gain turned down can give a nice overall boost and more of an edge. Doing this works well with my bad monkey, but as soon as I increase the gain, it turns to mud. If I turn the level knob too high the tone starts to fall apart also.
Tell him that it doesn't matter what the actual educated facts are as long as the results are good. I get better tone out of practical experimentation rather than what is actually correct from a technical standpoint. In essence, no one cares how much he knows if the results of his educated methods are inferior to unconventional methods. Therefore, he needs to shut up and play drums.