Like everyone on the planet, I've got me a squier strat, currently in red.

Unfortunately I don't really respect it all that much.

One day I got to thinking how biblically sick it would look in natural, but I also got to thinking

a) how would I achieve this? Soft sanding? Luthier? (I don't really want to spend all that much...)

b) Is there a high probability the wood would be scarred underneath

c) What does agathis look like 'nude'; it's obviously not going to be Ash/Alder quality.

What d'you guys think? Could it conceivably be done?

Would be a great little project..
It will look like wood when "nude"

Just sandpaper it all you've got

Sandpaper tends to SMOOTHEN surfaces, look for information on google or something.
DeVillains!
Quote by undecisive
Like everyone on the planet, I've got me a squier strat, currently in red.

Unfortunately I don't really respect it all that much.

One day I got to thinking how biblically sick it would look in natural, but I also got to thinking

a) how would I achieve this? Soft sanding? Luthier? (I don't really want to spend all that much...)

b) Is there a high probability the wood would be scarred underneath

c) What does agathis look like 'nude'; it's obviously not going to be Ash/Alder quality.

What d'you guys think? Could it conceivably be done?

Would be a great little project..

First of all, this belongs in the GB&C forum, secondly:

A) Strip the paint, either with a chemical stripper, heat gun, or sandpaper. Finish with laqcuer, poly, or oil finish. Oil = most natural, easiest, fastest method of the three.

B) Probably won't be "scarred", but typically painted guitars are made of ugly wood, especially cheap guitars. By ugly I mean having mineral stains, multiple piece bodies, etc.

C) Agathis isn't particularly good looking, but it typically has more going on looks-wise than alder does. Hahaa, you'll NEVER see a natural alder guitar...almost. But seriously, just google the species and check it out for yourself.

This is not that uncommon of a mod. You could do it.
A squier is not gonna look so hot in natural. They are gonna be multi piece as in up to 10 small strips of wood glued together. Most of the time they slather a heavy coat of sealer over top to cover up all the imperfections, thick enough you will think its actually a layer of wood. If you dont like it red go with another solid color.
ya i did this a while back. if you sand it it will take a while, and were a face mask that stuff is nasty to inhale. and low grit on the paper its usually layered pretty damn thick. also if you don't like the natural look you always can paint it urself and get some cool looks. good luck
i decided to do the same thing a while back. i had a Charvette Strat (like squier from the company Charvel) and bought a palm sander, some sheets of sand paper for it, and some safety goggles and went to town. the body was plywood, but the top was a really nice one piece of what looked like ash, maybe maple. hard to tell. either way, it looked pretty decent. i tried to finish it in orange and things got ugly haha but if i had just rubbed it down with tung oil it could have been cool. it'll be my summer project this year. i say go for it, you never know whats underneath that paint.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Like someone has stated its been painted for a reason, you can pick up a bare/natural body off ebay to save all the pain of stripping/dipping/sanding etc. only to find oddments of wood glued together,
option 2 is rather complicated and can be expensive, have it surfaced, take a skim off front and back then buy real wood vaneer to glue on then use pins to find rebate areas for pick ups etc. to cut them out, sand the edge to mould to the contours use a dark stain around the edges to cover any unsightly original body. I did this technique with a telecaster which is a lot easier as the body is not contoured. With time and care theres no reason why it couldn't be done to a strat.